Lack of new mod maps

Noobinski

Lack of new mod maps

Post by Noobinski »

Maybe there could be some maps from DCX and DCGF? Those mods have been out for a while now. Also, SuperDC just came out.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Lack of new mod maps

Post by Trench »

We haven't had great success even when simply offering an additional DesertCombat map that must be downloaded & installed. Let alone an entire new mod that everyone connecting to the server must have in order to play. Servers running an additional non-standard mod seem to struggle more for population, likely for the same reason.

EA117 has always been a DesertCombat & DC_Final server, and probably will stay that way. Meaning that for now, a different mod would be something to run on a separate server. Come to EA117's server in order to play the DesertCombat & DC_Final mod. The simplicity of DesertCombat & DC_Final is one of the attractions for many players, not withstanding that it's also the "limiting" factor when you compare it to other games or other mods.

I agree that there are other mods and maps for Battlefield 1942 that are interesting, and I would even entertain installing one on my client so that I could go play on a server running that mod.

So go ahead and start a DCX server. If I can get a decent ping, I'll come play on it sometimes. :)

-Trench
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

how to make server?
or how much money is to buy one
Silent Assassin
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

I imagine it depends on what level of service you want. e.g. How "shared" is the machine instance you'll be running on, what amount of memory or bandwidth will be made available to you, and how much of the game and operating system will you have control of (versus being pre-configured by the provider).

Having full control of the system to do whatever you want costs more, such as the kind of pricing you see at https://www.godaddy.com/pro/dedicated-server/ or http://www.hostgator.com/dedicated/. Servers where you're renting "just the ability to run this one specific game", without more control over any other aspects of the system, typically are cheaper and rent by the maximum number of player connections you want to allow: for example http://www.epcgaming.com/gameservers/battlefield-1942, or https://www.gameservers.com/game_server ... server.php.

There are thousands of hosting providers out there though, and you should be able to find one close to you if that's what you want, or close to some other continent you expect your players will be coming from.

-Trench
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

expensive
trench i get same error mesage when i start dcx
the error is the same when i enter in dc without start in win 95 or 98
what can i do to start game without crashes
Silent Assassin
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Mali Mrav wrote:trench i get same error mesage when i start dcx
the error is the same when i enter in dc without start in win 95 or 98
what can i do to start game without crashes
My first thought it still the same as last time, that you want to make sure that whatever BF1942.EXE you're launching to start the game shows as running in compatibility mode for "Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5". (Or if you are using Windows 8 or later, you can only set it to "Windows XP Service Pack 3".) And then also that you have "Run as Administrator" checked on that same page.

If it's not something you had already done, perhaps also try updating to the GameSpy-fixed BF1942.exe, since in addition to the GameSpy fix there had been a few other fixes and changes made in this updated file.

-Trench
TheoNeo
Netherlands

Post by TheoNeo »

Mali Mrav wrote:how to make server?
or how much money is to buy one
Hi,

I have a good idea for you Mali (and everyone else):

Use a Linux VPS I do it too !
VPS stands for: Virtual Private Server

Here's my server, you can have a go and see how it feels and runs: "1942 Desert Playground"

IP:

game port 23000 or 14567

(i cant remember which it was.. try it :P )

You can investigate the current PING (server response time in Milliseconds) here:
http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?act ... .157.1.210

My BF server runs on a Linux VPS from this company called "WEB Xtra" based in Amsterdam, Holland.

Why VPS and not a conventional Dedicated Server ?

I mean, see their VPS pricing table:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ZRcgyc1opA

I use the "Xplore VPS" which gives you:
- 1 Intel Xeon CPU core (shared)
- 1 GB RAM
- 50 GB diskspace
- 10 Mbit uncapped internet access
- 1 IPv4 public IP address

for just 4,50 Euro's per month.
or in other words..

54 Euros = $ 59,63 PER YEAR

Sure, its basic spec.. but thats what I intended.
I intended to see how low-spec (and Low-price) I could go to host my own server which still runs smoothly.
Besides, BF1942 is a 13 (!!!) year old game and the System Requirements for the game are a total Laugh by today's hardware standards ...

However, should you feel uncomfortable with a low spec VPS like mine, you could get allot more specs
(4 cores CPU non-shared, 4 GB ram, 200 GB disk) for 17,50 Euro ($ 19,32) per month, which is just under $ 232 per year.

Thats not expensive if you ask me.

So, (I think) if you want a stable (LINUX) dedicated BF1942 server, VPS is the way to go...

The initial set-up and administration might be a bit of a hassle, being in Linux CLI (command line interface) and having to set a few things and having to download the BF1942server binaries and mods and stuff..
But once you have it running you can leave it pretty much as-is, and it will keep on running for years.

I must note:
I am not a Linux guru, nor am I verry experienced with Linux.
In fact, I Googled ALLOT while setting up my VPS a few months ago. But I allways found an answer on my question and the server was completely set up by me allone in matter of a few hours !

Because I also installed BlackBagOps BF Server Manager, I can now set/tweak every setting and mapslist i would like from the Remote Manager on my PC or laptop.
Works sweet.. :D

Ohyea, did I mention it costs me just under $ 5 per month ? ROFL !!

I made a Forum Topic in the 'DEAL$$$ ' section on the forums for their offers, click here:
http://www.ea117dcfanfavorites.com/view ... =83&t=5547

Also, if you want, I could help you set up your own...
(not just Mali, I'm willing to help anyone who would like a BF1942 Dedicated Linux server)

Cheers,
:D
BF Pirates: All Pirates be stealin' that Treasure, Arrrr !!

Galactic Conquest: Face me, Rebel scum !

Ask not what your Team can do for you | Ask what YOU can do for your Team !