Minimizing game?

zanshin1

Minimizing game?

Post by zanshin1 »

Is there anyway to minimize game?

I want to be in game and if I need to check an email.......didnt want to close out and restart..

Ty
fromage

Re: Minimizing game?

Post by fromage »

Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

It will certainly run in a window instead of full-screen if that's really what you want. But "minimized" and "so I can check email without leaving the game"... both of those are already /exactly/ what I expect to happen if you simply ALT-TAB away from the game, same as you can ALT-TAB to switch between any running Windows applications (not just the game).

That does bring up a point, though. ALT-TABing away from Battlefield works easiest if you already have a second program running. Meaning, leave your email program or web browser open /before/ launching Battlefield, and then it will be easy to use ALT-TAB to switch between your full-screen Battlefield game and the web browser.

It can still be achieved even if you don't have another application running, since "the desktop" is considered one of the "applications" you can ALT-TAB between. But at least in my experience, switching from a full-screen game to just the desktop results in not having any mouse control, and you must CTRL-ALT-DEL (so that you see the "Lock computer" and "Change password" options, etc.) and then ESCape back to the desktop in order to regain your mouse control.

But the point is, when you ALT-TAB between your full screen Battlefield game and another running application, the Battlefield game /is/ "minimized" to the task bar, just like any other minimized application would be. And you can either ALT-TAB back to the game, or simply click on the minimized game icon in your task bar to return to the game.

Note that you /can/ end up getting kicked during this time, because depending upon how well your Windows computer multi-tasks, your ping response in the game can end up being affected, because the game is no longer your foreground Windows application. Meaning when you ALT-TAB away from the game, the rest of us might see your connection getting high-ping warnings, and kicked for high ping if it occurs enough times.

Not that it's guaranteed to happen; your system may multi-task just fine, and/or your ping may already be low enough that it won't really matter if it gets a bit higher when ALT-TAB'ed. I ALT-TAB away from the game all the time in order to get to the admin pages and such during the game.

-Trench
co,brah

Post by co,brah »

I like using alt+f4
Jim2102

Post by Jim2102 »

Use Alt+Tab to minimize game :)
fromage

Post by fromage »

Trench wrote:It will certainly run in a window instead of full-screen if that's really what you want. But "minimized" and "so I can check email without leaving the game"... both of those are already /exactly/ what I expect to happen if you simply ALT-TAB away from the game, same as you can ALT-TAB to switch between any running Windows applications (not just the game).

That does bring up a point, though. ALT-TABing away from Battlefield works easiest if you already have a second program running. Meaning, leave your email program or web browser open /before/ launching Battlefield, and then it will be easy to use ALT-TAB to switch between your full-screen Battlefield game and the web browser.

It can still be achieved even if you don't have another application running, since "the desktop" is considered one of the "applications" you can ALT-TAB between. But at least in my experience, switching from a full-screen game to just the desktop results in not having any mouse control, and you must CTRL-ALT-DEL (so that you see the "Lock computer" and "Change password" options, etc.) and then ESCape back to the desktop in order to regain your mouse control.

But the point is, when you ALT-TAB between your full screen Battlefield game and another running application, the Battlefield game /is/ "minimized" to the task bar, just like any other minimized application would be. And you can either ALT-TAB back to the game, or simply click on the minimized game icon in your task bar to return to the game.

Note that you /can/ end up getting kicked during this time, because depending upon how well your Windows computer multi-tasks, your ping response in the game can end up being affected, because the game is no longer your foreground Windows application. Meaning when you ALT-TAB away from the game, the rest of us might see your connection getting high-ping warnings, and kicked for high ping if it occurs enough times.

Not that it's guaranteed to happen; your system may multi-task just fine, and/or your ping may already be low enough that it won't really matter if it gets a bit higher when ALT-TAB'ed. I ALT-TAB away from the game all the time in order to get to the admin pages and such during the game.

-Trench
Another thing to consider is you may end up "accidentally" typing your smacktalk into your email to your boss while asking us how to use pivot tables.

Alt + F4 also works. CJ is right.