Mod Requests

HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Mod Requests

Post by HairyRussianDude »

We had a few responses to my old thread, so I just wanted to rename the thread in hopes of getting it stickied and having a place for everyone to post their ideas. Admin, could you please delete the old one and sticky this?

To re-post what Neo told us:
Equipment CAN be added. (tanks, stationary guns, AA, etc.)
Flags CAN be moved.
Random spawns CAN be added.
Buildings and most static objects CANNOT be added while staying visible. This would mean everyone would need to download a patch to be able to see the new buildings.

With that in mind, lets hear what you have to say!

My thoughts re-posted and tweaked:
- Berlin CTF: Remove the 50s in the allied main and alley or add 50s to the axis base. I have always felt this is an unfair advantage in CTF mode (not cq, needed in cq) as the allied base is a long alley while there are entrances on all sides of the axis base. Also add barbed wire to the building in front of the allied main, the wall in the allied alley you can hop through, and the crates at the one flag (in CTF and CQ). This would help with dudes like Nib who come to ruin the gameplay. The wire in these locations doesn't need to be seen, just kill the glitchers. As stated before, Berlin is probably the best seeder for this server and worth tweaking.
- El Al CQ and CTF: Miniguns on humvees at the unflagged "towns". Turbo humvees on CTF.
- Basrah CTF: Since ladders cannot be added without a patch, could some random spawns be added at the crash site to allow spawning on top of the wall? This is another situation where one base has one (kind of two) entrance(s) and is easy to defend while the other has 3.
- Stalingrad CQ: For as long as I've played 1942, the setup where the mains are at the train depots and the center rail flag has moved to the traditional allied main has always always always worked better.
- Bulge CQ: Move the windmill flag to the top of the hill where the "abandoned" base is. Add a couple of tanks, mounted 50s, and an aa. The church flag is close to the allied base but its easy to lob explosives from the allied main on top of their hill. The windmill flag is overlooking the axis main and is too easy to lob explodey things down from. The uphill battle makes for a good last stand if the allied main is lost.
- Al Nas CTF: Move out of bounds enough to allow trucks to swing around the back of the bases again. I feel more means on ingress to a main in any CTF mode makes for a more exciting game. Al Nas CTF is also up there with Berlin for being a great seeding map. Remove the 50s from the axis main, I feel they are another unfair advantage. The axis main is already easier to defend without the mounted 50s.
- Coastal CTF and CQ: Move the CTF flags to the beach (axis) and woods (allies). Move the out of bounds a bit to allow axis to climb the cliffs. Allies have a heli to monitor the cliffsides. Alternatively, if CQ remains the same, add extra tickets so axis isn't way behind by the time they cap a flag.
- Bocage Day 2 CTF: Less helis. There are so many helis available that a ground cap (drive the flag back) is almost impossible. I also do not like the new flag setup. The axis flag being away from the main is a nice idea, but the allied flag is still within the main making this completely one sided. It is a tough call as to how you would balance out ctf flag and spawn flag locations, but I suggest this: Move the southern farm flag to the ground. Now both mains have a nearby spawn point to worry about. At the farms, have no helis but spawn a bmp/brad, vulc/shilk. and jeeps. Move the CTF flags to the northwest and southeast spawns but do not allow spawning in these locations. Backup from the mains will be required. I think this may be the best way to balance hings out.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: Mod Requests

Bunkers CTF: Nice small map for small pop times. But as pointed out in the last round we played, the allies spawning on top of their flag makes for an unbalanced map. My suggestion is to make this map appealing to very low pop, such as 4 on 4. Move the allied flag to the back of the base, keeping the axis flag at the front. Perhaps place the random spawns behind each flag in the wooded areas. The short distance will not be much different than Berlin.

Urban CTF: Major problem with the CTF flags being mixed with cappable flags. CTF flag areas need to be made uncappable. Also, the axis base should be empty as the carrier no longer exists in CTF. Just have a heli and armor spawn at each uncap.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Bulge CTF: Decrease spawn time of helis to promote ground caps. Add flags to cap so everyone doesn't spawn at their mains and provide a means to get to the enemy flag quicker if you hold a nearby flag.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Make suggestions by naming the Map, and what you would like to change.

Some General Tips.

1. Stick to making suggestions to existing maps. I know how to create, edit, and add maps, but that involves all of you downloading and installing it and while its a simple process (self extracting file into the right game folder) its annoying or too much hassle for some.

2. Easiest changes -

a) Control Points.

Each can be moved to anywhere as long as its on the active part of the map (where you can stay without dying). They can also be raised really high off the ground, like the one in mid air in the Conquest version of
No Fly Zone map.

I can change control points so that only one team, say USA, can cap it (like the one in lost village) you'd see in certain incarnations of it in CTF mode. I think currently, both USA and IRAQ, can cap either mid points in that map. I'm not suggesting changing that, but it might be nice to have it so that only IRAQ can cap it for a change. Anyway thats changeable. Same goes with any map (In CTF maps, its impossible to make each main base control point cappable. Not that you would want to).

b) Spawn Points.

Can be moved about, added and deleted. It's surprising how different a map like Al Nas or Berlin is, when you simply change the spawn points and nothing else. In Berlin for example I once put parachute control point high in the air, to help alleviate the USA team getting camped in their main. In fact you can put them so high into the sky the enemy can't spawn rape that point too (unless its a plane map). Please note: Spawn points have changeable settings. One of them for instance is Auto para yes or no. If you set para flag to "on", when a player spawns their parachute automatically is activated (or not and they fall to their bloody death if they forget to activate it manually).

c) Vehicles.

Vehicles behave pretty much like soldier spawn points. You can put them up in the air too (which happened on EA117 Bocage). Usually its standard practice for map editors to put vehicle spawn points just slightly off the ground, so that they land. This is because sometimes vehicles have been known to explode when spawned "in" land.

Its really easy to add, remove vehicles provided they are already a part of the map. In other words, its easy to put four frogs in El Al Emain, because it already has one. Same with the SA3, or whatever, but its more fiddly to add a stryker. Alternatively Its easy to add another stryker to Al Nas day 2, since the map already has one. I've never added a brand new vehicle (like the zeppelin etc), but I think it has to do with unpacking, inserting and repacking the map using an RFA editor.

d) Buildings.

Same rules applies with the buildings. Each battlefield map belongs to a group of maps that are governed by a unique style. For example Berlin and Stalingrad are "northern europe" style. Notice how they have different architecture to maps like Invasion of Philippines etc which is "pacific" style. They are meant to simulate differences in climate between the European theater of war and the Pacific Ocean theater of war. What that means is, its easier to add a house to the Berlin Map, which comes from the "Northern European" style, but not from the "Pacific" style and vice versa.
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

Upvote the above!

Since this looks daunting on the surface, let's make a little prioritization:

1) Coastal CTF, move the flags
2) Urban CTF, moving flags
3) Weapons Bunkers: either nix the bunkers or move the flags to balance it.

These 3 alone would be a major boon to the server.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Thanks mario.

"1) Coastal CTF, move the flags
2) Urban CTF, moving flags
3) Weapons Bunkers: either nix the bunkers or move the flags to balance it."

Move them where?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Crash, and anyone else, whenever you have a server-side-mod-only map to the point where you think its ready to test, PM me and I'll make sure it gets to the server, where one of the admins can test it out and report any issues or concerns before trying it out "live".

Market Garden CQ: I'd propose simply delete the Harrier equipment spawn, rather than trying to add a "balancing aircraft" to the other side. That map just seems too tight for using planes for anything except rape, at least on a server where attacking the uncap is not allowed. I would almost take it to the extent of "remove the helo spawns too", but Rye would never speak to us again. Maybe replace with lighter armed SAG/AH6 helos? Or just leave helos alone for the first pass, and see how much "no Harrier" balances things out on its own.

-Trench
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

lol trench.. jets and helos don't mix well only ones that work is ah 6 with mini guns and jets. finding balance is difficult, but don't pick on apaches the dc gods will be angry;-)
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Possible New Berlin map?

https://imgur.com/a/UuPEF

Let me know if you cannot see the image.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

making sniper rifles available but hard to get is a great idea but only limit to a few as some players only want to snipe maybe a car bomb thats made of tin foil could be interesting too otherwise i think its too hard to imagine game play like this crash just come up with an idea and lets play it... opinions are plentyful but overall it has to work...

i am interested in modding maps that most hate now but can add value to players experience....keep in mind most maps were modded with conquest in mind back a few years ago ctf was considered a 4 letter word but now most prefer it now, maps that could be better are el al, wake island (which is great with few but lousy with many players), those need just twerking. :15:
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Yeah the 50 cal sniper thing was an after thought and probably not a great one.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

hey i dont knock anything... God is in the details.

If you got a mic and headset get on ts we can talk otherwise trench will charge us toll fees :P
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Did you see the image? I'm not sure if it works. If not I'll change it to an imshack version.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Also for anyone doing textures, this free site might help.

https://www.textures.com/
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

HairyRussianDude wrote:Bunkers CTF: Nice small map for small pop times. But as pointed out in the last round we played, the allies spawning on top of their flag makes for an unbalanced map. My suggestion is to make this map appealing to very low pop, such as 4 on 4. Move the allied flag to the back of the base, keeping the axis flag at the front. Perhaps place the random spawns behind each flag in the wooded areas. The short distance will not be much different than Berlin.

Urban CTF: Major problem with the CTF flags being mixed with cappable flags. CTF flag areas need to be made uncappable. Also, the axis base should be empty as the carrier no longer exists in CTF. Just have a heli and armor spawn at each uncap.
HRD can you explain the bit in bold? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I've never played CTF urban seige. I understand the second sentence in bold, but not the first one.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Crash,

If there are only a few on the server one day along with an admin, it might help if they ran it for you briefly so you can see for yourself. And my terminology might not be the best here but...
The CTF flags are at the docks and whatever area nearest the axis base is called. The CTF flags are also cappable spawn flags. So axis can cap the dock spawn flag and spawn right on top of the enemy CTF flag, and vice versa.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

I looked at the map and see what you mean. I'm fiddling around with changing urban seige into a berlin style CTF map, infantry and cars only. The control you point you can't think of is called high rise. I'm thinking about putting one (Iraqi) CTF base there and putting a USA one just across the river. I filled in a bit of the river so an infantry can run across at one point between the two bridges.

With BF maps, you can set each individual control point as conquest, CTF, DTM etc or all of them. The "mixed with cappable flags" (sic) issue you mean happens because I saw that they put two flags on top of each other, one set as conquest, the other as CTF.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Mentioned* not "mean".
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

Bocage day 2...

add 2 apaches 2 red, and delete the spawn point dependency for red to get them

every other map......do the same.

Ahhhh Good times!
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

zanshin1 wrote:Bocage day 2...

add 2 apaches 2 red, and delete the spawn point dependency for red to get them

every other map......do the same.

Ahhhh Good times!
:32:
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

I like the HHD philosophy. A howitzer powered 50 cal sniper rifle. :D
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

HairyRussianDude wrote: My thoughts re-posted and tweaked:
- Berlin CTF: Remove the 50s in the allied main and alley or add 50s to the axis base. I have always felt this is an unfair advantage in CTF mode (not cq, needed in cq) as the allied base is a long alley while there are entrances on all sides of the axis base. Also add barbed wire to the building in front of the allied main, the wall in the allied alley you can hop through, and the crates at the one flag (in CTF and CQ). This would help with dudes like Nib who come to ruin the gameplay. The wire in these locations doesn't need to be seen, just kill the glitchers.
I think the odds are already stacked against USA enough on that map. The 50 cal (definitely the one in the main) evens it up, since all IRAQ has to do is lob nades in, grab flag and drive off. The 50 cal gives the USA nade spammed team at least the opportunity to destroy the getaway car. Taking it away would destroy a strong fun element in the game. I'm not fussed about the one in the alley way though.

I'm not sure exactly where you want barbed wire? Is Nim a wall hacker?
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Holy delayed response....

Crash, Nib was a problem at the time of posting that. He would grab the flag on CTF and hide in the crates when no admin were on. Admin presence significantly increased with Rye's glorious return and now the server has a bouncer at the door but eliminating the chance for anyone to do so wouldn't hurt.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Wildcard showed me the other glitching point. The one where PK users usually sit just outside the Main Gate. You can wriggle underneath the building there.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Yeah Berlin has a few. Like I said, this isn't a problem anymore but it couldn't hurt to barb wire it up. Hangars on af maps too.