Jolly ruining a fun time.

CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Jolly ruining a fun time.

Post by CJ (Crash) »

So jolly, um ... yeah wow.

We had 24 or more players playing DC Lost Village. The capture the flag score was 1-1. Server was the fullest I've seen in months and so .... naturally you decide to run next map without bothering to run a vote. I'm not sure if you understand this, but at every map change, people leave. So HALF THE PEOPLE left.

You must understand that while you appear to be concerned about others needs (which is great when on the rare occasion you get it right) you might consider that, with so many people playing, such a situation is also a SORT OF VOTE. Its a sign that people are happy playing, voting with their feet as it were and might WANT TO STAY. But they werent given the opportunity to have their say.

Half the people leaving means you got that call wrong. I asked you why you did that. I cant remember who said it, but the point was made that you took it to a vote. By that you mean you asked a question. For some weird reason, you seem to be of the mistaken assumption that, in the heat of battle, everyone can read your posts, in amongst all the other posts, bullest flying etc etc In an intense game, thats not always possible. This is why the makers of the game put in a thing called voting, where you set a vote and the playesr can chooose 7 ior 8. People WILL SEE THAT and vote, because it obscures their view.

I get your trying to be friendly and fair which is great but at times you get over eager and ruin our enjoyment and thats really frustrating. I'm not really complaining, Im just trying to figure out how your mind works, because you seem to be quite random in your decisions. I dont know which admin changed it, but you pushed for it so either way my point stands. Also my motivation behind this is that I don't want this server to die.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Crash is ruining a fun time.

Post by Trench »

What happened tonight is the same thing that happens all the time. You appear to just be choosing to complain about it as though its Jolly's fault, just to be a hothead about it. Evenings get late. People do and don't like maps. People do and don't like change. We just finished an extended LostVillage that was a lot of fun and gave many people their DesertCombat fix for the day. People leave.

Jolly initiated a discussion of next map, same as usual, same as any of us might do, when not simply setting a next map that seems appropriate without even asking. People did respond, and people didn't respond. A next map was set. A next map was played that some people like, and a next map was played that some people didn't like. We played until the map was done, we played until everyone was done, we said gg and gn, and we left.

So if you're going to spew "fuck this server" in game, and then come here and complain about nothing, I'll ask you to either take a voluntary break on your own, or we can arrange a voluntary break for you. These admins already have enough of a thankless task to do without having to deal with backwash like this, too.

-Trench
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Re: Jolly ruining a fun time.

Post by Mali Mrav »

again crash with his complanings
u should make a rule about it
and i think i know who would get first baen
Silent Assassin
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

CJ (Crash) wrote:Jolly, Often when you ask in chat about voting on the next map, it gets missed by the majority of players. In the future, could you please consider running actual votes as they obscure a player's view and will likely generate a more accurate response from the player base as to which map they would like next.
Thanks!
Fixed.

And since this is a Jolly complaint thread, you took away my First Light CTF Rye promised me and I will not let it go for awhile. I am going to figure out how to send farts over TS and deliver one to you my friend.
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

Thanks for the constructive criticism, Hairy. Thoughtful feedback is always welcome as we are striving to be the best admin team possible. Selecting maps is akin to DJing for a party; it's more of an art than a science, it's virtually impossible to make everyone happy, but there is still some method to the madness of playlist design.

When choosing a next map, there is a delicate balance at play between numerous factors, including, but certainly not limited to, (a) popular demand in a given moment / immediate desire of the majority, (b) avoiding playing such popular maps too frequently (e.g., Al Nas) so as not to saturate, (c) re-introducing less frequently played maps that might be not be as fun as the Al Nas types in the moment but will in the long-term improve the overall quality of the server through variety, (d) beta testing maps under construction by the creative efforts of our modders, (e) time of night, (f) number of players on at the moment, (g) how many players will leave immediately by choosing an experimental map versus how many we might gain in the long run through variety by successful introduction of modded or overlooked maps. There's no single equation for optimally balancing these subjective factors, but we do the best we can and are open to criticism if one feels that our balance thereof is suboptimal.
HairyRussianDude wrote: Could you please consider running actual votes as they obscure a player's view and will likely generate a more accurate response from the player base as to which map they would like next
Case in point: if we had done this for your First Light CTF, we definitely would not have ended up playing it ;) Frequently, the only way to play novelty maps is through curated admin decision informed by "song requests." Perhaps for novelty maps such as First Light CTF/CQ we can post on the forum in advance when some of them will be played, to ensure that the most ardent fans of those maps can stop by the server to enjoy them?
HairyRussianDude wrote: I am going to figure out how to send farts over TS and deliver one to you my friend.
PS Lol.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

We could make a whole thread on selecting maps in itself. Trench nailed it on the head with what happens on a regular basis. 30 mins of village later in the evening on a work night, plus an extension, people get gamed out. I'll lay down a month's salary that even if Nas had been played next we would have lost a chunk of players.
In my previous post, I just wanted to leave an example of how one could have presented their concern in a more respectful manner to perhaps garner more consideration towards their idea.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

HairyRussianDude wrote:We could make a whole thread on selecting maps in itself. Trench nailed it on the head with what happens on a regular basis. 30 mins of village later in the evening on a work night, plus an extension, people get gamed out. I'll lay down a month's salary that even if Nas had been played next we would have lost a chunk of players.
In my previous post, I just wanted to leave an example of how one could have presented their concern in a more respectful manner to perhaps garner more consideration towards their idea.

It didn't escape me. ty