Congratulations on your decision to install what is easily the best Battlefield game in the series!
There might be a lot of words here, but this is a simple 15 minute install once you have all the files. I recommend creating a folder to keep the installation files just in case the links go dead someday.
Some might say that a couple of steps are not necessary, but I have successfully installed the games on Windows 10 this way multiple times so I am sticking to the process. I think it may be especially important not to confuse any younger gamers not accustomed to installing games without Steam etc.
I encourage everyone to simply post the link to this page on their social media accounts. Reddit would be a great one to try and recruit on.
Should anyone experience any difficulty installing or connecting to the server, we have very friendly and knowledgeable players here who would be glad to help!
- Download and install Battlefield 1942: https://abandonwaregames.net/game/battlefield-1942
- Download Punkbuster Service Installer: https://www.evenbalance.com/downloads.php
*This is anti-cheat software.
- Run Punkbuster Service Installer and click “Test Services”. You should get the all clear from this test. If not, click “Install/Re-Install Punkbuster Services”
*Make sure Punkbuster is checked as enabled in your server list menu if the server you wish to join has the PB symbol next to it.
- Download and install the Gamespy Patch: http://team-simple.org/download/battlef ... _v1.61.exe
* This is so you are able to update the online servers list.
- Download and install Road to Rome: http://team-simple.org/download/Battlef ... o_Rome.zip
*This is the first expansion pack for Battlefield 1942.
- Download and install Secret Weapons: http://team-simple.org/download/Battlef ... f_WWII.zip
*This is the second expansion pack for Battlefield 1942.
- Navigate to the newly installed Battlefield folder and right click on your execution file. This is likely “1942” and listed as an Application file on Win 10.
Click “Properties”. Click on the “Compatibility” tab. Ensure that the compatibility mode is set to “Windows XP (Service Pack 3)” and the box beside “Run this program as an Administrator” is checked. Apply any changes.
- Download and install Desert Combat 0.7: https://www.moddb.com/mods/desert-comba ... -combat-07
* DC Final requires this installed first.
- Download and install Desert Combat Final: https://www.moddb.com/mods/desert-comba ... nal-update
You should now be ready to play!
There is already a detailed write up on accessing this Desert Combat server. In short, there have been security measures implemented due to the age of the game and you will need to read this.
For all other servers, simply update your online server list and find the one you wish to play on!
Please note that on the leftmost side of the server info, there may be little symbols. No symbol indicates it is a Battlefield 1942 server. 4 colorful symbols indicate the server is running Battlefield 1942 expansion packs and mods. An army helmet indicates it is running Desert Combat.
- Skip Intro: Right click on your shortcut/whatever you click on to launch the game. Select "Properties". There will be a box that says "Target" with a bunch of mumbo jumbo showing your game path. At the very end of this, add a space and "+restart 1" without the quotation marks. Done!
- Direct Connect to Server: If you don't have time with all of life's hustle and bustle to load the game and click around to get in to the server, you can set a shortcut to directly connect with 1 click! This can be done on top of skipping the intro. I recommend creating a new shortcut named "EA117" or something to show it is a direct connect file. Right click on your shortcut/whatever you click on to launch the game. Select "Properties". There will be a box that says "Target" with a bunch of mumbo jumbo showing your game path. At the very end of this, add a space and "+joinServer IP:PORT" without the quotation marks, and with your chosen server's IP and Port number. In EA117's case, you will end up with "+joinServer 184.108.40.206:14567"
- 255 Bots Single Player: There is already a comprehensive guide on this. It is finicky, but does work. I suggest making backups of your original files you will be playing with in case you do not succeed the first time. This puts single player on insane mode!
https://www.moddb.com/games/battlefield ... ds-255-max
- 1942 Ex Pack Maps for DC: Adds Road to Rome and Secret Weapons maps to DC. The AI is pretty stupid on some of these, but nevertheless they are fun to play around on if you enjoy single player.
- Modding: If you wish to try your hand at modding, our admin team is receptive to well designed tweaks to the vanilla maps. Note that due to the age of the game and lack of player base, we will not be running any custom maps or anything requiring a patch. There are multiple resources in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5966
You can also find Battlecraft, the official map editor, here: https://www.moddb.com/games/battlefield ... atoreditor