Toning Down the Personal Insults

Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Toning Down the Personal Insults

Post by Trench »

We have a great community of players who enjoy interacting here on EA117 and our Desert Combat server. But lately there have been examples of in-game communication which has too often included some rather vulgar and personal insults.

These offensive and personal insults are not representative of the kind of environment we want to provide or that we ourselves want to be part of here. And while part of our sense of community does include throwing digs and trash talk at one another for a shared laugh, there is a line being crossed between just poking fun at a buddy and being disrespectful both to them and to the rest of the server.

See our http://ea117.com/dcrules page for additional information about being respectful on the server. Do not make vulgar references about someone or about their family members, or displaying your own insecurities with homophobic insults, or telling people to "STFU" or "FU", or any insults which are personal in nature.

Pay attention if an admin is telling you that what you're saying isn't welcome here. Attempts to skirt these rules, or to ignore them when you believe an admin isn't listening, will be dealt with in temporary bans as needed.

The EA117 player community comes from around the globe, and from many different backgrounds. Everybody handles conflict differently. So we would also like to remind everyone that if another player is behaving in a way that needs discussion, please keep the anger and fighting out of the game and bring here to our Report Disruptive Players forum.

Tell someone they are a bad shot.
    Tell them they couldn't hit the broad side of a parked Humvee.
    Tell them your 5-year-old puts up a better flag defense than they do.

Or, you know, tell them how great they did on that last play.
    Tell them you've never seen someone be such a huge support to their team.
    Or tell them how when you grow up you want to be just like them.

But the vulgar and sometimes personal insults do not have any place here.
      HairyRussianDude
      Retired Admin
      Retired Admin
      Canada

Re: Toning Down the Personal Insults

Post by HairyRussianDude »

I would like to add that burying an insult in a language other than English since that is the dominant language spoken will be met with a Google translate and an IOU on a kick if needed.
      tonawandares
      Retired Admin
      Retired Admin
      United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

HairyRussianDude wrote: December 17th, 2020, 8:20 am I would like to add that burying an insult in a language other than English since that is the dominant language spoken will be met with a Google translate and an IOU on a kick if needed.
      yo@0?3 sono#??#% you $M&@:n%##

translate that @^^!o>

~ tona
      BlinkofanEye
      United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

So your mom jokes are off the table....step-mom? Second cousin? Next door neighbor lady?
      Vote for map al_nas?
      Yes (7)
      Yes (8)
      HairyRussianDude
      Retired Admin
      Retired Admin
      Canada

tona that appears to be a local dialect that Google cannot translate.
      I assume you are praising me for my big sexy brain and charm, in which case I thank you.
      BlinkofanEye
      United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Are pets considered family members?
      Vote for map al_nas?
      Yes (7)
      Yes (8)
      tonawandares
      Retired Admin
      Retired Admin
      United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

HairyRussianDude wrote: December 17th, 2020, 7:15 pm tona that appears to be a local dialect that Google cannot translate.
      I assume you are praising me for my big sexy brain and charm, in which case I thank you.
      If that makes your world work...ok

~ tona
      Sarge 1/68th Armor
      United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Except me.
      I'm Golden.

end msg.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
      SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
      tonawandares
      Retired Admin
      Retired Admin
      United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Sarge 1/68th Armor wrote: December 18th, 2020, 1:16 pm Except me.
      I'm Golden.

end msg.
      ...cough...

~ tona
      BlinkofanEye
      United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I’m going to need an answer on that issue…
      Vote for map al_nas?
      Yes (7)
      Yes (8)
      Trench
      Admin
      Admin
      United States of America

Post by Trench »

BlinkofanEye wrote: December 20th, 2020, 10:38 pm I’m going to need an answer on that issue…
      Except there is no issue. Try just not insulting anyone personally, no matter whom they are.
      jolly_giada
      Admin
      Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

Blink, how dare you talk about my family's hamster like that.
      Cyberdemon
      Brazil

Post by Cyberdemon »

Very important topic.
      That kind of situation was what led me to change my name.
      Because after a tiring day at work, you just want to get in, just play a little, maybe relax and, if possible, have some fun.
      However, unfortunately, there are boring ones (I would like to use another type of adjective, but administrators will not like it), and these peoples instead of playing and trying to be fun, they just manage to be boring, very boring.
      They fill the chat with unnecessary conversations and say offensive things about how someone is playing.
      I was already forced to read in the chat something like: "go back to your hole".
      Unless I'm mistaken, on this server, everyone plays the way they want, within the rules, of course, and nobody has anything to do with it.
      To have some peace, I changed my name and even the way to play.
      For some time, I had peace of mind, but with a keen eye, it is possible to find out, by ping or other details, who is that player with a different name.
      However, there are times when you are forced to use the ignore command for peace and quiet.
      It wouldn't have to be that way.
      As far as I know, there are no children or teenagers on this server, but there are some who behave that way, and that bothers some players.
      I think it's always good to have a little common sense and respect.
      If this were not happening, this topic would not exist.

Cyberdemon
      Cyberdemon
      Brothers in Arms
      Trench
      Admin
      Admin
      United States of America

Post by Trench »

Thanks for your input, Cyber. Indeed, the reminder announcement needed to be made, and more frequent enforcement enacted, because some cases had simply deteriorated too far. Holding everyone accountable to the same standard will be no change for most, and minor change for others.
      BlinkofanEye
      United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Aw man, cyb, I hope I wasn't that person/one of those people for you. I really enjoyed playing with you, and I hoped my teasing reflected that, although I certainly do get carried away sometimes. I miss seeing you in your spot in al nas :)
      Vote for map al_nas?
      Yes (7)
      Yes (8)
      Cyberdemon
      Brazil

Post by Cyberdemon »

Something was missing from my comment yesterday.
      As Trench rightly said, this community has players from all over the world and then we have a linguistic problem, because according to linguistics, languages ​​have different origins, for example, English (the standard language of this server because it is North American) comes from the branch Germanic, which is different from my native language, Portuguese, which comes from the Romanesque branch. What I mean by that is that there is a semantic issue, with different meanings between different languages.
      To get an idea between Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese Portuguese there is a great linguistic difference.
      They are more literal in understanding while we are more figurative, so we must be very careful in communication.
      In addition, there is a difference in meanings for the same words, the false cognates.
      Not everyone on the server is proficient in the English language. I myself have some and limited fluency in English.
      So what I mean is that what can be a joke to a speaker of a particular language, can be an offense in the language of another speaker.
      I believe it is very important that we all take this into account.
      Cyberdemon
      Brothers in Arms
      BlinkofanEye
      United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I literally loved you for your playful attitude about owning me with your sniper SMAW from that same goddamned market stand in the Iraqi Al Nas base. And I loved your playfulness about my "Cybersex!" greeting. Hope that helps you feel a bit more safe on the battlefield.
      Vote for map al_nas?
      Yes (7)
      Yes (8)
      BlinkofanEye
      United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

And I promise to wait to talk about my sexual relationship with anyone's mother until my daughter starts playing.
      Vote for map al_nas?
      Yes (7)
      Yes (8)
      BlinkofanEye
      United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Although to do that I would have to actually have sex with her mom. :39: :11: :cry:
      Vote for map al_nas?
      Yes (7)
      Yes (8)
      BlinkofanEye
      United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

But in all seriousness, I am self-conscious about contributing to a less fun and constructive nightly gaming environment. I’ll tone my shit down.
      Vote for map al_nas?
      Yes (7)
      Yes (8)
      ButtBreathSenior

Post by ButtBreathSenior »

I'm glad to see this post....as change has certainly been needed on this server for some time. Cyber I am so glad to see you back. And your post is spot on. Some may have noticed I have been absent for a month or so. Quite frankly due to people getting by with personal attacks, lieing, etc. I'm good with any JOKING you may throw my way even if involves my mother or my "personal" hamster. But I won't tolerate bullies, liars etc. There are other severs still I can play on that don't put up with that bullshit...especially from one particular player that I'll let remain nameless but not hard for anyone to figure out. I've played by server rules since day one on here. Have learned a lot from other players and respect most all of them. We ALL come from different backgrounds and you never really know what a person has endured that day before they jump into the server. This game has probably kept me from killing someone in real life and truth be known probably the same for the rest of you. It's my way of getting out of the real world and releasing my tension for the most part. Or when the wife doesn't want to put out I get online. So now you know how much I get a week and why I"m so anxious to jump in the fray and kill...All jokes aside from what I've seen the short couple of times I've been on past couple of days it shows great improvement. If it continues like I saw I'll be around more often. If not I''ll see some of ya on the other servers from time to time but I do have faith that the admins are now taking things very seriously and trying to run it as it should be.
      HairyRussianDude
      Retired Admin
      Retired Admin
      Canada

Thank you Blink, and please note that there are a variety of conflicts involving multiple players that have come up the past little while which lead to the admin team discussing this. Just know this isn't a "Blink must be taken down!!!" situation.
      I appreciate that in the past that when you have been going a little overboard, a simple "Blink, tone it down" has been acknowledged by you and followed.
      I enjoy the back and forth breaking each other's balls with you buddy!
      BlinkofanEye wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 9:57 am And I promise to wait to talk about my sexual relationship with anyone's mother until my daughter starts playing.
      You are always free to rip on yourself my man. If you offend yourself, you and you can pretty easily hash that one out!
      Cyberdemon
      Brazil

Post by Cyberdemon »

ButtBreathSenior wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 10:54 am Cyber I am so glad to see you back. And your post is spot on.
      ButtBreathSenior, thank you very much for your consideration.

Cyberdemon
      Cyberdemon
      Brothers in Arms
      BangBangOw<CP*SF>
      United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Holy cyber!

I’m 19 for a tad longer, but after that I think everyone is upwards of 25-30.

We miss the normal cyber, I apologize if I’ve ever pissed you off, but I don’t think I’ve ever insulted you.

Although your smaw skills haven’t been particularly missed 😉
      Demonic
      Australia

Post by Demonic »

ive said it before, and ill keep saying it.....i miss the old days !! lol
      its sad that regs that have helped keep this server kicking for the past 10 years are having to change their name just to play the game.
      BROTHERS IN ARMS