Punkbuster Ban?

Appeal here
Forum rules
UNLESS YOU ARE AN ADMIN OR DIRECTLY INVOLVED, PLEASE DON'T POST HERE

Please include all of this information when submitting unban request.

1. In-game alias:
2. DC/BF4:
3. Public key hash(If BF4, leave blank):
4. Date of the ban:
5. Who banned you:
6. What were you banned for:
7. Comments:

To get your keyhash, download this program DC ONLY*
Sgt. B
Canada

Punkbuster Ban?

Post by Sgt. B »

1. In-game alias: Sgt. B
2. DC/BF4: DC
3. Public key hash(If BF4, leave blank):
4. Date of the ban: 2014/0709ish
5. Who banned you: IDK
6. What were you banned for: Not sure
7. Comments:
*If you don't know who banned you or what you were banned for then type IDK for that question.

Punkbuster keeps kicking me for no reason.
Last edited by Sgt. B on July 15th, 2014, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Punkbuster Ban?

Post by S.O.S »

You are not banned. I saw you get kicked quite a few times. The message seemed to say there's a problem with your ID. Did you try to log in with a different name?
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Yes, I did try another name...
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by S.O.S »

How about other servers? What's the message you saw when kicked? Re-install PB maybe?
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

I didn't try the name change on any other servers. I will try the PB re-install tomorrow. Thanks
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

I tried the re-install and it worked,kind of,it won't let me on as Sgt. B,however,I can play under another name.
Thanks S.O.S.
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by S.O.S »

Glad to see you back in game.
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Hello. I keep getting a pb kick again,used another name,did the pb re-install,not working...
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Same as S.O.S. asked, what's the message you get when kicked? i.e. It's something more than just "PB-related kick", so what does it say specifically?

Definitely not sure what the issue is; just trying to get some clues from whatever particular issue it's reporting when you get kicked.

-Trench
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

It just reads- Punkbuster kicked sgt. b,no reason provided
I re-installed pb last time and ran the program as an administrator ,which worked. I logged on the other nite under a different name,tried to get back on with sgt.b and got the boot. Tried re-install and running the program as admin but it won't let me back on
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Definitely not sure what would create such a terse message. I'm more familiar with the ones like "PunkBuster must be enabled to play on this server, blah, blah, blah" or "unable to communicate with PnkBstrA service" and things like that.

What is it that you're re-installing when you say "re-installed PunkBuster"? Like which specific package and executable(s) do you run?

If you're only re-installing TanksPB, then maybe it's time to also try re-installing PunkBuster itself. Easiest example I can give is using step "5a. Install BOTH the 'Punkbuster core services' AND the 'Battlefield 1942-specific PunkBuster files' together" from the HOW TO: Use an Origin-downloaded Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server document.

Meaning downloading the PB42Setup.zip, running the contained PBSVC.EXE to re-install and test just the PunkBuster services, and then running the contained PBSETUP.EXE to point to the game directory and update the game-specific PunkBuster files.

All as described in the document... unless you're running the CD-based Battlefield 1942, in which case the path to your game directory is under "Program Files\EA Games" rather than "Program Files\Origin Games".

This may not have been how you originally got the PunkBuster files, but it's a valid way to get them and/or re-install them for either the Origin-based Battlefield 1942 or the CD-based Battlefield 1942. And I like the more verbose feedback that PBSVC.EXE and PBSETUP.EXE give for whether everything's working, as opposed to the other ways you can get PunkBuster files installed.

-Trench
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

i was just re-installing the tanks update,i'll try the whole package here
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Did a complete reinstall of pb and still the same message-Punkbuster kicked "Sgt. B,that's it,no explanation,idk,maybe it just doesn't like me. Anyways,I went to other pb sites and got on with the new pb,so it is working properly.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

That great that it's solved. What's "the other PB site" or specific package you used, just in case someone else ends up having the same issue you did and needs to know how to solve it?

-Trench
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Hey Sgt. B, I saw you get kicked when trying to join just now, and in-game it said it was because of disallowed characters in your player name. Since your visible name "Sgt. B" doesn't have any illegal characters in it, I'm guessing that probably means there are extra "garbage" characters either at the end of the name or the beginning of the name.

That fits with why "it's only a problem when I try to use my Sgt. B player name." Maybe try going to the "Options" menu, then "Customize", and mash both the BACKSPACE key 20 times and then the DEL key 20 times, just to be sure and delete any characters you can't see. And then re-type in just the "Sgt. B" player name.

I'd say it might be interesting to inspect your .CON files and see what the invalid characters actually are. But it's probably not that interesting...

-Trench
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Sorry, I went to other bf sites running pb and I got onto those. it's just ea117 that i can't get onto
I was on some other sites the other nite under the name celtic canary,yes, and didn't change my name when I got on ea.Left came back as sgt b and it would'nt and still wont let me back on.
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

And the message is- PunkBuster kicked player " Sgt. B- exactly like that,no explanation
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

The one I was seeing was in-game of course, but it said it kicked Sgt. B for having extended characters in the name, not Celtic Canary. So you may have accidentally connected with that name, but the one I saw it kicking you for was Sgt. B. (Else I would not have even known it was you.)

I would recommend still making the effort to ensure there aren't accidental non-printing characters before or after your name, or that the period or space character isn't some weird one instead of the "normal" one, etc.

-Trench
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Thanks Trench,that seemed to work. Too many characters around here lol