My 2004 TJ Rubicon build.

Let's talk shop!
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

My 2004 TJ Rubicon build.

Post by toolman »

I live and have been raised where Jeeps have been made since 41. In 2003 I was working at a place that included direct involvement with engineers from the Toledo Jeep factory...I "heard" about Rubicons when they started actually getting the go ahead for building them.

I purchased this one pictured for my birthday in 2004. The dealership did not even have it prepped for sale yet and it had exactly 2 miles on it.

That picture is from the Fathers Day car show at the Jeep factory about 3 miles from my house. Factory washer fluid. 8-)

I did actually wheel it (off road) bone stock for the first year of it's life. it has about 2500 miles in the next pic.

My first mod..bumper and engine skids

Then I got a winch...that I painted to match. I like the sleeper look. :7:

and some rockers..

I added some roll cage in last year

and this is what it looks like now...and when I drive it to work everyday. Currently has 51,000 miles on it. ;)

I plan on doing a small lift and going to larger tires in the next year or so...these are not quite worn out yet.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

Mordor
Canada

Re: My 2004 TJ Rubicon build.

Post by Mordor »

Nice ride Tool :)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

You got 51k out of Goodyear MTR's ???? And used them to mud and rockcrawl??? Hell Tool they still look like they have at least 1/4 if not 1/2 of the tread left.

And ummm .. is that a Prius of the Jeeps LOLOL .. whats up with the Solrpwr plate. What do you get 21 with the hybrid on :lol:

Great pics Tool ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
C'mon Son
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by C'mon Son »

Nice ride Toolman. Buddy of mine had a jeep wrangler. The only thing he complained about it was when it was on the highway. He kept saying it was like driving a brick in the wind....
"Now you're messin' with A son of a bi*ch" Nazareth-Hair of the Dog
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

Those are my 2nd set of MTR's...they last about 25k in front...suck for pavement but stellar on the rocks.

The color is SOLAR YELLOW.....hence my vanity plate. :31:

I always get a kick out of people that say "Jeeps suck on the highway" or they "handle like crap" or my favorite whine about the 16 mpg....it was never designed for pavement, or comfort or to race the 1/4 mile...it was designed for off road use and is still the UN-equaled standard in 4x4. A rover D-90 is about it's equal right out of the box...nothing else really comes close.

Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Ol' 71 Landcrusier. Booya. I used to go out with bolt cutters and a chainsaw. You never know in the back country what may happen.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

Sarge wrote:Ol' 71 Landcrusier. Booya. I used to go out with bolt cutters and a chainsaw. You never know in the back country what may happen.
The FJ's were better..but that Landcruiser was a great ride...buddy had 70's era one we tooled around in during the eighties...I drove a VW van then so we were totally disco. :33: Toyota trucks are commonly seen on "Jeep trails" and are great platform off road. Yota axles are great, and I know a few people running older propane powered yota's that tear it up. :19:

and for Ricky Petko since I'm flexing my Jeep-penis...I considered a snorkel...but would have ripped it off many times over. Besides...how deep do I need to go???

RoLnRoCk
United States of America

Post by RoLnRoCk »

beautiful machine tool. love it.

what makes a rubicon better than the wrangler?
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Is that how you wash that thing Tool .... I hope you extended the axle vent tubes to a higher location LOLOLOL
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Hey Toolman, mine was the FJ 40. I welded up the rear lower half doors and made a tailgate. 4" lift, 33' BFG AT's, heavy duty shackles, hard and softtop, full cage. Kept the srtight 6 and put the floor shift kit in. Thing went everwhere and a Corvette Yellow paint lol mine wasn't solar powered. No I'm gonna have to dig thru some boxes for some pics.....later

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

RoLnRoCk wrote:beautiful machine tool. love it.

what makes a rubicon better than the wrangler?
The Rubicon package inludes:

Selectable locking differentials front and rear
Dana 44 axles front and rear
A transfer case that is exclusive to the Rubicon and super stout with a 4:1 low gear ratio.
31" MTR's tires
Rocker guards (although they are better than nothing they are just diamond plate with minimal coverage)
16" Moab wheels

and don't worry nighty...the breathers for the axles go all the way up to my hood, right from the factory. :D