03 malibu engine light

Let's talk shop!
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

03 malibu engine light

Post by ryeontherocks »

Hey guys i have another problem with a 03 chev malibu with 40 miles, my engine light stays on all the time i had a plug diagnostic done by my parts supplier(what ever thats worth) and it said bad catalytic but passed emissions in ontario(canada) it is mandatory pollution control tests that we do. I have been told its not my cat otherwise it wouldnt pass.

I was thinking its possibly a faulty temp control gauge sensor for the cat(can remember name of it), or also a possible ignition switch- but thats really expensive to replace on a hunch --the car runs fine lights up like a candle when driving its only a little rough on idol and seems to want to stall on really hot days with aircon on(althought that might be unrelated) any thoughts?
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: 03 malibu engine light

Post by Nightstalker »

I know you said that the diagnostics said a catalytic converter but it could be something as simple as O2 sensors. Being it is an 03 you should be able get certain codes from a scanner as it is an OBDII computer. The part stores around here will normally check them for you for free. That will help narrow it down. I believe that car will have one before and one after the cat. A car in good running condition that is properly tuned will pass emissions WITHOUT the cat installed. I have done it many times. The converter is ther to burn any unburnt fuel that makes it into the exhaust and to change carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide or so they say.

Could be your temp sensor as you stated. You may have 2 of those also. My truck does as one sends a reading to the gauge on the dash and the other sends the signal to the computer. If the on sending the signal to the computer is faulty your computer will think that it never came up to normal temp and cause the motor to run rich. Since it is stalling you may want to look at the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve on the side of the throttle body also. Those can be cleaned with varying results or you could just replace it.

I would first go get any and all codes that will be found with a scan tool. ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

thanks night, i am sorry but its not stalling i meant to say it wants to stall but it never has just feels like the steering is stiff and there is a major drain, but i think that is my freon low, it does seam to run a little rich not exessive but i burn about 5-10% more gas than normal i think.
Again thanks bud...i will get a code check again they just didnt give me an exact code just that its cat probs...so i will ask for it.

btw its been on for about 3 months now and i havent been left stranded...yet :15:
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

If your freon is low it will not cause the engine to bog down. There is a low pressure sensor on the condesnor that will not allow the A/C compressor to turn on (unless bypassed ;) )if it reads too low which is good so you do not burn up your compressor. With that being said you can see some RPM fluctuations when your compressor kicks on but that is normal especially with smaller engines.

When you say the steering gets tight is that when the motor seems to try and stall. I am still thinking the IAC valve but I could be wrong. When I get home I will try to get you a link or maybe a part number to what I am talking about.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Just do what everyone else does...Put a small peice of electrical tape over it ;)

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Thanks night,
it does act like it wants to stall when stopped and air con on full out yes but it does do it sometimes even with out air con on and just idling... it doesn't like having the air con on without recirculating air ie: light on air cond button shuts off when on fresh air intake but stays on when recirculating thats why i thought its unrelated.
but night your part isn't an expensive part so i might try it out thanks it does make sense. but first i will try and get a code reading next week and see what it says.

When all said and done if its not i might try Sarges suggestion.... :15:
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Sarge wrote:Just do what everyone else does...Put a small peice of electrical tape over it ;)

LMAO .. I had a 92 Suburban ... best damn vehicle in the world. 236k miles and fired right up, four wheel drive, most comfortable seats .... aaaaa .. I miss that ride. Anyways it was handed down through the family and I ended up buying it later on from my dad. Well he did alot of his "handy" work on it. When I got it the low pressure sensor on the AC had black tape all wrapped around it and the condensor itself to keep it pushed in. Then the windshield wipers were intermittent. He had more black tape and a freaking bungee cord pulling on the wires to make the connection LOLOLOL. I ended up taking the motor housing apart and fixing the cold solder joints and it worked fine after that. The low pressure sensor just need new wiring. If you want to know how to rig something just ask my dad LOLOLOL.

Sorry .. getting off track here. Rye let us know if that valve works ;)
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Hey Nighty I own a 1993 2500 Suburban. Retired Sheriff search and rescue vehicle. Heavy duty everything. I am not allowed to sell it ever...lol

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Sarge wrote:Hey Nighty I own a 1993 2500 Suburban. Retired Sheriff search and rescue vehicle. Heavy duty everything. I am not allowed to sell it ever...lol

LOL .. I can not blame her. What motor is in it. I know the 2500's came with a few options. My burb was a 1500 4wd with 350. And it got a whole 12 MPG in town or on the highway. Those versions before the Vortec were crap when it came to horsepower but they are reliable as hell. I think it was around 180 horse. .... She was a screamer LOLOLOL.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Hey Sarge, that suburban was sweet my bro had one...he bought it right after a major snow storm it acted like this commercial :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_hjxfBh ... 21046265D2
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

It has the 350 in it and married the the monster 4L80E trnasmission. The Sheriff dept changed out the rear end, put taller gears in. I get 16-17 hwy and about 13 city. We off road whenever possible. I actually kinda rock crawled it once and everyone got out..lol

They stole that from Bugs Bunny rye ;)

With Great Speed