Let's talk shop!
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

My BMW Track Beast

Post by OddJob2021 »

Hey guys,

I made a gun thread so I figured why not make a car thread seeing we have an Automotive Discussion section and the guys in TS have been hearing bits and pieces from me when the topics comes up. My car is a 2007 BMW 335i. I got it in March of '07. I have since modified the hell out of it. She's my baby, my girl, well until I can find the right one ;)
I have taken the utmost care for it, inside and out. It has Swissvax Shield sealant to protect the paint from Miami's harsh weather. The car came stock with 300hp and 300ft lbs (measured at the flywheel, as all manufacturers do). It came with a new fuel system called Direct Injection. Instead of injecting with an air mixture before the cylinder as in all port injection motors, direct injection injects the fuel into the cylinder, against the compression stroke. In order to do this the fuel must be injected at an extremely high pressure, at redline it's near 3500psi. It makes this kind of pressure mechanically (driven off the belt) and uses a low pressure fuel pump to supply it at a constant 72psi. It allows for a more even burn, as the fuel is perfectly accounted for and atomized each time. This is a blessing and a curse because it allows for extremely lean burns during cursing and upon initial load, near 16AFR. For those who don't know what the means it is less fuel burning, ie: better mileage. The problem lies in its novelty as well as other things. 'The more you add the more it tends to break.'
Getting less technical, it now has mid 400's at the wheel -whp- (add 15% for drivetrain loss in order to compare to flywheel hp) on pumpgas/water-methanol. On racegas it has over 500whp. This is due to a hybrid turbo upgrade which involves cutting away material from the exhaust housings of the stock exhaust manifolds (I-6, twin-turbo, two banks) then welding on a CNC'd piece that will accept a new, custom, larger chra. The compressor housing is also bored out to accept a larger compressor wheel. The car also has supporting mods including a new airbox and intercooler for the 50% increase in cfm.
I added handling mods including coil-overs and sway bars, front and rear, as well as a front engine strut bar.
The car is tuned using basically a Haltech board running what's called PROcede and controls boost through the wastegates with vacuum instead of the standard external wastegate boost. The tune is completely integrated into the car and all ECUs. It re-calibrates my oil temp and fuel level gauges on my dash to read instead AFR and Boost, respectively. My steering wheel is an upgrade for e9x models called the BMW Performance Steeringwheel which gives me all sorts of read-outs as it's hooked into the same CANbus the tune is. You swap between screens: I can read G forces, forward/backward and side/side; another reads oil temp/water temp; another is a 1/4th mile timer; and the last is a Lap Timer for when I track the car and want to compare my own times, hotlapping.
In order to combat Miami weather I use something called Water/Methanol. What it does is not only cool the intake charge, but also increase the octane. I have it injecting on the hot-side of the intercooler, post compressor (water does not compress) and in the charge pipe, near the Tial BOV. When water goes from a liquid to a gas it absorbs heat and going from 220psi in the line to the intake charge that's way hotter and moving fast it atomizes the mix, hitting the nozzle like a brick wall and cools the charge, but the methanol bumps up the octane as it is 116octane. It's a win-win situation, but you need to be careful with this additive as you need a safe way to tell your car to get less aggressive with the timing (boost is just a byproduct of the timing run) ie: tuning. What my car does is switch 'maps' if the 'Safe-Injection' sees an impedance of flow. Being an I-6 it is a torque beast, especially being twin turbo. Stock spool was fast, peak torque would arrive around 2500rpm. Because the upgrade is a Ceramic Ball-Bearing chra even though larger it has greater spooling characteristics. If it were steel, like stock, it would be spooling at 4000 but instead I have peak torque by 3000rpm, 500lb-ft worth. I also upgraded the oil cooler to handle the increased load. It came with an external thermostat which dropped the activation temp to 180F instead of the stock's 230F. Without further adieu here are the pictures:

Engineshot, semi recent (as you can see, stock oil thermostat/lines):

Badly taken pictures of the external thermostat and CNC'd distribution block, awesome braided lines:

Old engineshot without plastic engine cover:

Airbox up-close (yes, those are fine, metal filters):

Trunkshot, water/meth tank:

Car with old rims:

Hotchkiss under-brace:

KW v2 Suspension (brakes stock back then, can you believe it? both single piston calipers!):

Steeringwheel on temp screen, lower dash gauges showing now Boost on left (used to be fuel, each thin hash-mark is 1psi, the thicker ones are 5psi increments, so 0-20psi) and AFR on the right (oil temp, far left is 20:1 or engine braking/off throttle cruising, so 20:1 is far left, 15:1 is in the middle and 10:1 is far right) as shown, sitting pretty at ~stoich :)

Front BBK:

Rear BBK:

My tranny dropped, clutch upgrade, Spec Stage 2+:

Stock clutch:

The still-stock dual-mass flywheel:

A culprit found before it turned worse, rear main seal replacement:

Replacement aluminum bolts for the tranny:

Fully divorced exhaust (two banks), except for an X-pipe to reduce rasp/increase top-end flow... no cats nor resonators, 2 mufflers:

My tuner adjusting new actuators (which control the internal wastegate, a flapper):

Comparison of stock to upgraded turbine:

How they sit on the car:

Manifolds off:

Here is a sound clip of the exhaust note after the upgraded turbos:

Rear of Upgraded turbo:

Rapid prototype of stage 2 (will be billet aluminum) vs a cast (normal) stage 1:

Stock vs Stage 1 vs Stage 2:

Stage 1 vs Stage 2 closer (forget about the shiny, look at the blade length, the pitch, and also the hub diameter):

Initial testing/clear comparison, stock vs stage 1:

Stage1

Stock:

Stage 2 (billet compressor wheel upgrade to stage 1) is still currently alpha testing on ASR's own 1-series (same motor, the N54). I am part of the beta test and cannot wait. Expected gains (at least mathematically) of +60whp.

Car more recently, new rims (photoshoot for the wheel company, MORR, 60% off to let them use the advertisement without royalties :):

Feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: Thought I'd add in some stuff I left out/forgot. It also has an aftermarket rear differential, upgraded from a stock open diff to a LSD (limited-slip-differential). What that means to those of you who don't know is that it tries to drive both rear wheels instead of being a 'one-tire-frier' like an open differential is because an open diff sends all the torque to the wheel with the least grip/traction. How silly right? But it makes sense when you aren't putting enough power down to lose traction. An open diff is meant for turning as one wheel has to rotate at a different speed than the other in order to not hop the inside wheel on a turn.The stock diff has the crown gear welded instead of bolted to the diff, so it makes swapping one nearly impossible unless you swap the whole pumpkin. I am part of multiple car forums and I swapped the entire pumpkin/driveshaft assembly+Cash with a guy who was going in for lease return. Worked out very well, saved a ton of money. The way an LSD can function on a turn depends on the type of LSD and it can get very complicated. If anyone has interest though I'd be happy to explain at least how mine works.
Last edited by OddJob2021 on January 24th, 2013, 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
BoOn
Canada

Re: My BMW Track Beast

Post by BoOn »

Feedback is appreciated.
I wouldnt even know what to say for feedback, With everything you just wrote I would sound outright DUMB if I added feedback. :? :?
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Do you like girls or are you one of TDogs pen pals? ;)

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
TDogFresh
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by TDogFresh »

Sarge wrote:Do you like girls or are you one of TDogs pen pals? ;)
penpal 8-)
TDF Is2I TGBU PTPM MLP YOLO ~~ T DOG FRESH
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

BoOn wrote:
Feedback is appreciated.
I wouldnt even know what to say for feedback, With everything you just wrote I would sound outright DUMB if I added feedback. :? :?
That's a compliment in of itself Boon, thanks.
Sarge wrote:Do you like girls or are you one of TDogs pen pals? ;)
hah, I've heard that before. Of course I thoroughly enjoy women, what guy doesn't? Even a gay guy has to appreciate a girl's curves... I especially enjoy a women's company when I'm not spending money on them lol. But like I said in the OP, this car has been my 'girl', and since I got her in March of '07, I've gone through 2 real girls! One was a bitch and I dumped quick, the other got disinterested in me/fell for another guy.
TDogFresh
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by TDogFresh »

OddJob2021 wrote: the other got disinterested in me/fell for another guy.
You killed her right? 8-)
TDF Is2I TGBU PTPM MLP YOLO ~~ T DOG FRESH
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

TDogFresh wrote:
OddJob2021 wrote: the other got disinterested in me/fell for another guy.
You killed her right? 8-)
bahahaa... oh god... I shouldn't have made these threads on the same day LOL.
oldboi
Australia

Post by oldboi »

Nice ...
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

oldboi wrote:Image
Nice ...
Thanks oldboi. What kinda ride you got? I hear the brand Holden is a fast one down under. Holden V8's right? We don't have that maker here in the US, we had a brand called Pontiac and it was a similar body/motor, but it was slower than a Holden. Pontiac has since been discontinued/bought out. Been fun playing with ya on BF3. If you ever want some lessons and the server is empty I'd be happy to teach you a few pointers.
oldboi
Australia

Post by oldboi »

Well umm, nothing like you would expect. 87 VL Commodore wgn, which came out with the Nissan 3ltr (stock...lol). The emblem on the bonnet comes from a 60 FB Holden ...

Not a great lover of the new models, too much plastic ... :o

I am currently doin body work to it, gunna try an make it into a 2 door hatch (weldup the bak doors an windows), an have a Supercharger also. Will look something like this, but not outrageous ...

My son has the 93 VP V8 commodore with Supercharger, which does 300+ at the bak wheels ... :31:
Old Holdens never die they just get faster ... ;)

Wenever ya want to get together for some pointers, no worries ... 8-)
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

oldboi wrote:Well umm, nothing like you would expect. 87 VL Commodore wgn, which came out with the Nissan 3ltr (stock...lol).

I am currently doin body work to it, gunna try an make it into a 2 door hatch (weldup the bak doors an windows), an have a Supercharger also. Will look something like this, but not outrageous ...

My son has the 93 VP V8 commodore with Supercharger, which does 300+ at the bak wheels ... :31:
Old Holdens never die they just get faster ... ;)

Wenever ya want to get together for some pointers, no worries ... 8-)
Nice ride man I love custom rides like yours. It'll look even better I'm sure once you're finished with her. The Nissan 3liter you have is a reliable motor. It's an I-6 like mine, internally balanced, long lasting, if you do your regular oil changes. The mods you plan to do sound really cool, I can't wait to see the outcome. What kind of supercharger do you and your son have? Is it centrifugal or positive displacement? Have you considered turbocharging instead? You can go single or twin on your 6-cyl and it's a lot more power under the curve ;)
Next time you're in TS with me and the server is near empty we can give it a go, only problem is the extreme timezone difference... we're in different days!
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I do not want to take away from what you are doing Oddjob because I think what you are doing is very interesting but I do have one question. Why not just start out with the M3???? Especially in that body style as they have the V8 in them. If I am not mistake your engine was in the previous M3's. Anyways I have always wonder why people do that. I had some friends that bought Camaros but they got the V6 version instead of the Z28 and would tweak them all to hell trying to keep up with the Z's. I know some had more money in the V6 version than if they had just bought a Z.

Anyways still a very nice ride you have bud just curious. ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Nightstalker wrote:I do not want to take away from what you are doing Oddjob because I think what you are doing is very interesting but I do have one question. Why not just start out with the M3???? Especially in that body style as they have the V8 in them. If I am not mistake your engine was in the previous M3's. Anyways I have always wonder why people do that. I had some friends that bought Camaros but they got the V6 version instead of the Z28 and would tweak them all to hell trying to keep up with the Z's. I know some had more money in the V6 version than if they had just bought a Z.

Anyways still a very nice ride you have bud just curious. ;)
Nighty,

I'm glad you took the time to read/respond. Your question is a very good one, I'd be happy to explain. The M3 does indeed have the N/A (naturally aspirated) 4.0 Liter V8 which revs out to 8250rpm. It has a great VE (Volumetric Efficiency) which means it flows extremely well and efficiently. My engine is a 3.0 Liter I-6 that comes twin turbocharged from the factory (as well as the new tech, Direct Injection, explained in the OP), but only revs to 7000rpm. The previous generation M3 (chassis: e46) also had an I-6 but it was more race bred, along the lines of the current V8. It revved out high to 8000+rpm with an extremely high VE. All M motors strive for this variable. This I-6 though also came N/A from the factory as no M before it ever had a turbo, it was 'blasphemy'. It was only recently that BMW has had to conform to the new mileage/gas efficiency mandates, which is why they have resorted to turbocharging their M motors. Many purists and M-lovers are up-in-arms over it because they want M to go back to it's roots and make an N/A motor for the M series, but it's not gunna happen. The new M3 (may even have an M4) will be (twin)turbocharged from the factory.
Anyway back to your question: I don't care about that motor really. Sure it's a work of art but even with a supercharger (no turbo kit is out) the 335 with upgraded turbos or the new single turbo upgrade is still faster. Only recently have built blocks come out for the M3 and now they are starting to push the envelope but the 335i motors are stock and seem stronger from factory than the M3, because they were built to handle boost from the get-go. The M3 of course has firmer suspension bits and what not from the factory but all the mods I've done to the suspension, engine, etc.. it handles even better, brakes harder, goes faster and looks better ;)
And the best part is: even with the thousands I've spent modding, the car still comes out to cheaper than the price difference between the 335 and the M3 (17-25k).
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Ok, ok. Stop begging, I'll trade you.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

WOW .. that shows my ignorance to BMW's .. I had always thought M3's had some sort of power-adder namely a turbo. I have never really looked into them other than to know that was the "big dog" of the 3 series and a popular road race car. I also did not realize there was that big of a price difference. That being said I would say you have made up the 100 hp difference with your additions then. Carry on LOLOL. I will just sit back and watch ;) I will be waiting for some video of you in a 1/4 mile and maybe a few hot laps around a road track.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Nightstalker wrote:...I will be waiting for some video of you in a 1/4 mile and maybe a few hot laps around a road track.
Will do. In fact, I just got a GoPro HERO2 for a gift and will be making some sweet videos. For reference she'll run a mid 11 at like 127-129mph on pump/meth (how I drive her normally). The trap is there but the ET isn't, reason? Short time, or 60'. It's like a 2.0+ because of the massive torque at low revs = loss of traction in low gears on street tires. But I'm really not much of a Quarter-Mile king. If I was I'd buy american muscle, meant for straight line acceleration. I got this car because I like to road race, but I don't have track video yet. I do have a video of a highway run about 50whp ago... an in-dash cam so you can see how the boost/AFR work while under throttle. It's blurry because of the glare but if you concentrate you can see where the lower gauge needles point.

The run is a ~45-50roll in 2nd gear (near the top, 2nd goes to 70mph) and the shift to 3rd and riding 3rd out to redline at ~110mph. (notice the loss of traction, shown by the yellow light blinking, as soon as I go full throttle lol, torque monstah!)
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

Wow..that is a damn nice ride. I always enjoy our conversations on TS when it comes to cars as you seem to know quite a bit about them and I have found that talking with idiots about cars gets boring fast.

Curious about your rear differential though since I have evolved into Jeeps I know a bunch more about them....is your diff a helical gear driven or does it use clutches??

I also like your car because it has a inline 6. My Rubicon has a 4.0 inline 6, and the fastest car I ever owned was a 77 Datsun 280 with inline 6. As a matter of physics and manufacturing there are certain things that a straight 6 engine is known for built by just about any car company. Ford had a 300, Chevy had a 250, Dodge had a slant 6, and Jeep used a 4.0 liter from mid-1960's until 2007...and those are just off the top of my head. Torque, and reliability are typically used when talking about a straight 6. The L/R balance of my Rubicon is 50/50 at front tires through-out my entire RPM range. That can mean alot when your really off camber and the bad side means rolling over.

I personally like very much what you have built Jay. It's very subtle and does not need to show it's true colors to everyone. A sleeper if you will. I have lots of stickers on my Jeep....but they are all under the hood. :7:
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

toolman wrote:Wow..that is a damn nice ride. I always enjoy our conversations on TS when it comes to cars as you seem to know quite a bit about them and I have found that talking with idiots about cars gets boring fast.

Curious about your rear differential though since I have evolved into Jeeps I know a bunch more about them....is your diff a helical gear driven or does it use clutches??

I also like your car because it has a inline 6. My Rubicon has a 4.0 inline 6, and the fastest car I ever owned was a 77 Datsun 280 with inline 6. As a matter of physics and manufacturing there are certain things that a straight 6 engine is known for built by just about any car company. Ford had a 300, Chevy had a 250, Dodge had a slant 6, and Jeep used a 4.0 liter from mid-1960's until 2007...and those are just off the top of my head. Torque, and reliability are typically used when talking about a straight 6. The L/R balance of my Rubicon is 50/50 at front tires through-out my entire RPM range. That can mean alot when your really off camber and the bad side means rolling over.

I personally like very much what you have built Jay. It's very subtle and does not need to show it's true colors to everyone. A sleeper if you will. I have lots of stickers on my Jeep....but they are all under the hood. :7:
Tim I'm so glad you found the thread. I too enjoy our materials/engineering/cars/machining/etc talks. I am a sponge for that kind of stuff, I really can't get enough. I appreciate all the kind words, means a lot coming from you.

As for your question: my LSD is a torque biasing clutch-type, from Quaife. Quaife has the option of a torsen style iirc, it is cheaper. I notice the negatives of having an LSD only on a tight radius, DNA-like incline, like a public garage ramp, the inner wheel will squeak and skip sometimes but otherwise it is a huge upgrade because of the massive torque at nearly all times really requires it.

Hell yea dude! Inline 6's are the best. I like to think of them as half a V12 :) As you say, for numerous reasons the straight 6 has been a cornerstone. It is internally balanced and like you say makes boat loads of torque, even without a turbo(s)! ... 50/50 at all times huh? I guess it makes sense because then it is perfectly predictable, and that's exactly what you need rock crawling!

Again I appreciate the kind words. I too hide my stickers under my hood :P (slightly dated pic)
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

After talking to Golden3ye in TS, he mentioned I never showed pictures of my Intercooler. He has a 135i and has a few bolt-ons, getting into the aftermarket. But here are a few I guess I never uploaded from my phone. It's a custom I/C: 2 Garrett cores welded together beautifully by my tuner. Because of the large increase in cfm, the aftermarket I/C's available for the N54 are all too small.. they are meant for stock turbos.
Also, the final pic shows my upgraded oil cooler, near the fender, needed in this Miami heat!

theraven
United States of America

Post by theraven »

VERY NICE JOB YOU HAVE DONE THERE ILL POST SOME PICS OF MY 1998 VETTE HAS ALL BUILD RACING MOTOR SOUNDS OLD SCHOOL 600 HP AT THE CRANK RUNING 273 GEARS DRILLED SLOTTED ROTORS FRONT AND BACK TO SLOW THIS BABY DOWN,LIKE YOU HAVE OVER 15 GRAND IN THE MOTOR 3200 STALL LONG TUBE HEADERS CAT BACKS AND BORAL EXHUAST,LOUD AND FAST LOTS OF FUN.LOVE LOOKING AT CARS GREAT JOB THERE.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

theraven wrote:VERY NICE JOB YOU HAVE DONE THERE ILL POST SOME PICS OF MY 1998 VETTE HAS ALL BUILD RACING MOTOR SOUNDS OLD SCHOOL 600 HP AT THE CRANK RUNING 273 GEARS DRILLED SLOTTED ROTORS FRONT AND BACK TO SLOW THIS BABY DOWN,LIKE YOU HAVE OVER 15 GRAND IN THE MOTOR 3200 STALL LONG TUBE HEADERS CAT BACKS AND BORAL EXHUAST,LOUD AND FAST LOTS OF FUN.LOVE LOOKING AT CARS GREAT JOB THERE.
Thanks man look forward to it. Make a new thread when you do. I'm not sure if it was your intention to write your reply in caps but hopefully you can click off that caps-lock key next time :) Many people interpret caps as yelling or emphasizing but when it's the whole post it turns some off.
theraven
United States of America

Post by theraven »

srry about the caps my bad,yes the work time and money you spent on this car is unreal.i had mine done dont have the shop or time to do it.talking about gears on the dyno 3rd gear was around 180 in lil red what i call it lol wife named it,drive over 200 but you your self know no drag,we dont know how fast this car is not going to find out.someone else can drive it,the guy that built mine has around 100 to 1200 hp bad boy runs 9s in 1/4 mile.im like you low 11s to high 10s depends on the track,i get a bmw i know who to bring it to cause seems you know what your doing.again great job