My bug...

Let's talk shop!
fluffy

My bug...

Post by fluffy »

Thought I would show off my bug that I am always working on lol....Here is how it sits as of right now..I am obsessed with Vw's lol...

Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: My bug...

Post by Swanny-CG »

Wish you lived closer, I have a '72 Ghia I could use help with haha

It's not nearly as nice as yours, but it's a decent "10 foot" car.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

You need to fix the rear wheel. The camber is WAY off ;)

We redid a 72 convertible for my mom. Was nice go see how easy you could get parts for those things.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
BlaineBlitzer
United States of America

Post by BlaineBlitzer »

Dam thats a bad ass bug,nice job
8-)
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Yeah, what's with all the negative camber? To tuck the wheels in? I know I see the VW crew running with bags and way over-sized rear rims (even though they're FWD) with stretched narrow tires to show off the bead of the rim and have the fenders sit on the gap between the tire and bead when they 'air-out'. They have to run a helluva lot of negative camber in order to not rub/damage parts -- is yours for the same kind of reason?

Anyway nice ride dude. It doesn't need to be fast to be awesome. I can appreciate all types of cars and such. Looks great man, keep it up.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Hey Jay, those Bugs are not FWD... they are rwd rear engine with a transaxle. Hence the camber. Sorry if I led you astray with my comment. I was just giving fluffy crap. When you lower those bugs the half shafts only have 1 c/v joint unlike the newer cars of today that have 2. That c/v joint is against the transaxle. So what ever angle the shaft is coming off of that c/v joint the wheel will be at a 90 degree from the shaft. With that said there is no way to adjust the camber for the rear wheels. Well at least none that I know off except raise the engine/transaxle mounts :19: or get the IRS axle.

Oh and you may have been thinking of the new beetles which are fwd ;)
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Nightstalker wrote:Hey Jay, those Bugs are not FWD... they are rwd rear engine with a transaxle. Hence the camber. Sorry if I led you astray with my comment. I was just giving fluffy crap. When you lower those bugs the half shafts only have 1 c/v joint unlike the newer cars of today that have 2. That c/v joint is against the transaxle. So what ever angle the shaft is coming off of that c/v joint the wheel will be at a 90 degree from the shaft. With that said there is no way to adjust the camber for the rear wheels. Well at least none that I know off except raise the engine/transaxle mounts :19: or get the IRS axle.

Oh and you may have been thinking of the new beetles which are fwd ;)
Yeah not many old school bugs like the one shown in this thread. Most are the MKI->VI golf/gti/jetta crew that I see frequent meets.

When referring to FWD I didn't mean fluffy's car, just that the similarity of the rear camber struck me as something to mention. I'd love to see the geometry underneath though, no camber/toe links at all?
fluffy

Post by fluffy »

yeah the only real way to get rid of the neg camber in the rear is to raise the tranny...Lots of cutting that I dont care to do lol...its just something you have to deal with on a swing axle rear end...

speaking of the MKI->VI golf/gti/jetta crew...Here is my other car...This is my daily and the bug is more of a toy...

OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Ahh makes sense. Your daily looks great too. Engine is stock or near it I assume?
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

Love the bug. 8-)

I learned how to drive using a 77 VW hippy van. My step-dad also had couple bugs over the years including one that was painted like the General Lee. seriously.

Love the VW's.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

billythekid1
New Zealand

Post by billythekid1 »

Some one with taste finally :) (dont take tht the wrong way please)

I to am a VW nut i have owned many water cooled but never air.. Love the Bug btw she is awesome.. I used to frequent the GTI international meets in the Uk when i lived there awesome days..

Ive owned MK1 gti's, a MK2 gti 8v(got wrote of by a double decker bus slamming into the rear) ,MK4 gti (got wrote of after some twat pulled out in front of me)and my last was a Corrado storm 2.9 V6... might try find a picture or two i think i uploaded some years ago to photo bucket b4 my HD failed..

corrado vr6 storm

MK 2gti poor car loved it
sorry taken from an old photo hence quality Image

the mk4 gti sad sight :(

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

toolman wrote:Love the bug. 8-)

I learned how to drive using a 77 VW hippy van. My step-dad also had couple bugs over the years including one that was painted like the General Lee. seriously.

Love the VW's.
We now know that the redneck thread definitely will not offend your family. Lololol
Thonger

Post by Thonger »

thats a badaass bug