OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Crazy 2-wheel Driving

Post by OddJob2021 »

Check out this link:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cdf_1360714290

Pretty amazing control by the driver. My question is, how aren't the wheels in the air spinning? If it was an open diff they would, if it was a lsd they would, if it were locked it would no? Did they remove the power to them and only choose one set of wheels to drive with? But it seemed as though he switched sides lol..
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Crazy 2-wheel Driving

Post by toolman »

easy answer jay is that the vehicle does not have a differential drive system.....or that they have modified brakes or something to get them to work like shown in the vid.

if it were an open diff the wheel in the air would be spinning like mad and they would not be moving, and you correctly noted that it would be spinning if locked or LSD.

Something I noticed when he was removing the rear tires with the wrench....he did not hold the tire to keep it from spinning while turning the wrench to get lug nut off. that leads me to believe that it is getting resistance of some kind.

An old trick to get open diffs turning where they don't want to turn is to apply some braking either with pedal or e-brake to add resistance to a wheel that has none. It's how alot of more modern higher end 4 wheel drive systems work in your typical SUV. It's works with the ABS system to apply brake pressure in very small micro second amounts until the side not spinning receives power.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Wow awesome answer Tim :) That last part about more modern vehicles is cool info too man. Had no idea.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Yea no kidding... So that explains putting the power to the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip I hear about from Subaru I think it is.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.