460 Ford Exhaust Bolts

Let's talk shop!
OREX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

460 Ford Exhaust Bolts

Post by OREX »

Broken exhaust manifold bolts taken out by welding with a mig welder then welding a nut on top. Then impact gun. You can see the broken off easy out in the center of one of the bolts.
photo(1).jpg
photo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: 460 Ford Exhaust Bolts

Post by toolman »

based on how those threads look I would suggest running a tap through the holes in your head, otherwise the new ones are going to in just as hard, and prolly have to be removed the same way.

you don't want to cut new threads, just clean out the stuff in there. It most likely will be hard and crusty so use lots of oil (or some thicker type lubricant) and yurn the tap slowly and backing it off every 1/2 turn or so.

I would suggest some anti-seize...but with it being exhaust manifold it most likely won't do a thing for ya.

For future reference... I have gotten a EZ out to work exactly 1 time in my life. I typically don't even bother with them, a left hand drill bit however is great thing if your gonna drill something out anyway. Often times it will grab the broken bolt and it will twist out when drilling. I also usually drill dry when doing that as it will heat up the bolt pretty good and that is usually a good thing.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

toolman wrote: I have gotten a EZ out to work exactly 1 time in my life.
He forgot to tell you he only used it once :o :P
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
OREX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by OREX »

Good tips. Already done. I used to work on commercial fishing boats so I am pretty familiar with stuck, broken, corroded hardware. Some people will tell you that you can't run a mig welder in the holes without ruining the threads. In our case it worked fine and after running a tap through the holes all is well. I was telling the kids (24 yr olds...lol) who by the way should have asked me about removing the bolts before breaking them and the easy-out, much of this may have been avoided.

What they did right:
They had used PB Blaster on the bolts and let it soak and when it got to drill time they were using my left handed bits.

What might have helped:
They didn't use an impact which we have available. They were heating the stud instead of the manifold with the torch. They could have also tried candle wax after the torch rather than the PB blaster. The paraffin wax will soak up the threads.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

When I use a left hand drill, my forehead gets little holes all over it :?

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

LMAO!!!!!!!! that makes me think of getting beat up by the speed handles we used in the AF. This is a speed handle if anyone is wondering
images.jpg
If the bit slipped out of the fastener at the right moment WHAM!!!!! ... We always wondered what drew more blood, the AF speed handles or the M1A1 Abrams :o :D :P :39:

OK I am smartassed out .. time for some beauty rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

I found the single best penetrating oil (hubba hubba) is a 50/50 mix of Acetone and brake/trans/power steering fluid.

I've used it all at some point and that mix ( I found on the web) is easily the most effective.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I will have to remember that one Tool.