I'm going to lift my jeep

Let's talk shop!
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

I'm going to lift my jeep

Post by toolman »

My factory size/style 31inch Goodyear MTR tires are worn. I am going to install 33 inch MTRs with Kevlar sidewalls before spring. I could go with a 35 inch, or even a 37 tire with my axles....but I would need a re-gear, high line front fenders, brakes, and probably steering and new locking differentials just to start....in addition to the same 2-3 inch suspension lift I will be doing just to run 33's.

The interesting and somewhat uncommon things is that I will be changing my suspension geometry to run somewhat small tires, yet the setup will be essentially the same as guys who run 42 inch tires and shaved 14 bolt rear axles in competition buggies.

Currently (in stock form) my axles ( the blue thing) use a 4 link system with trackbar (panhard) with coil springs all around. They are referred to as upper (2 orange rods in pic) and lower (2 yellow rods in pic) control arms that have rubber bushings at both ends making 4 links. Those control the twisting of the axle and determine the ride, control, overall handling of the axle "flex" through out it's entire motion... and the panhard (green rod) controls movement from side to side.

I will be installing a 3 link front with a panhard and a triangulated 4 link on the rear that should allow me to remove the panhard as seen below.

triangulated 4 link :

3 link front: Note the pic below uses shocks with springs (you can't see) known as coilovers...they are the shiny rods that go up and down.

New springs, shocks, joints, (instead of bushings stoner) and I will me making my control arms and welding stuff all over the place. I could easily buy a "kit" but unless I do some welding it will not perform as well as Jeep engineered what I have currently...which is a excellent design I should add.

pics to come. :D

professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: I'm going to lift my jeep

Post by toolman »

so my budget was cut in 1/2 practically. :P

I will be doing this build over the course of this winter so don't get excited. I'm going to try to keep a real bare bones version here with more generic terms so that the people who don't get "into" vehicles outside of getting them from A to B can appreciate the dynamics involved in basic mechanical transportation. ;)

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

What about going less suspension and a small body lift???? That should help with the cost some. I know the body lift does NOTHING for suspension travel other than extra fender clearance and it does not have the cool factor of your above described suspension lift, but it may be the best alternative for the look you are wanting with the bigger tires all the while fitting in your budget.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Glad you made a thread Tim. I'll do the same for my 'diff lock-down' when I install it. Going from a 3-link to a 4-link. Keep us updated :) I know you plan to start after the holidays so no rush.
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

I actually already have a 1 inch body lift on my Jeep currently nighty. I have exactly 8 bolts that hold the tub to the frame so keeping them close is smart...especially in the rustbelt. ;)

jay I believe that your 3 link to 4 link is rear and will be a quality upgrade if your going to go in the direction that fits your needs for your vehicle.

Nomenclature is a big word......but it's just geometry in the end really... applied to results desired given the objects used. :18:

toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

OK well time for an update....

I have been busy as shit and things have changed somewhat....the short is I bought a bunch of yellow things and some aluminum.

8-)

OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

toolman wrote:OK well time for an update....

I have been busy as shit and things have changed somewhat....the short is I bought a bunch of yellow things and some aluminum.

8-)
Sick tim! 6061?
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

yes Jay.. actually 6061 T-6. The "T" designation is that it's been tempered and a typical grade for most uses. Catalogs call it "Aircraft grade aluminum" and that makes me chuckle every time I read it somewhere.

Currently in my possession I have exactly the Items pictured below.

Tires. $1350.00 for 5.

Currie Anti-rock. It replaces and relocates the factory sway bar. $130.00 used from a friend.

and I am currently waiting arrival on :

Aluminum gas tank skid $377.00 shipped from CA.

Old man Emu 2.5 inch lift. $810.00

1 inch motor mount lift. $109.00

Pre-bent 1.75x.125 wall DOM tubing for my bumper so I can make it look similar to this $180.00 :

I am allowing 2-4 weeks for most of it to arrive, then start getting things done once the salt is off the roads. :11:

toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

Since the previous post..

I received my shocks and springs....the single most influential person in my life passed away,(my last grandparent who I have always been close to..just a few blocks away from my house) and then I had the kitchen drain leak into basement between the wall of my house while the temp outside is well below zero, and my aluminum gas tan skid showed up at work today... (I have not been there since tuesday)...and I installed a hub bearing on a tahoe right after I finished my plumbing today.

yeah for weekends. Time to play some games. :(

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Sorry for your loss brother. Sounds like one hell of a weekend.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.