Ford Escape

Let's talk shop!
Hav3n
United States of America

Ford Escape

Post by Hav3n »

This is my chariot:

Fun car...hybrid so not very powerful, but I've saved it's weight in gold in fuel.
=sBs=SEANY
Canada

Re: Ford Escape

Post by =sBs=SEANY »

Hav3n wrote:Fun car...hybrid so not very powerful, but I've saved it's weight in gold in fuel.
That's pretty good savings:

Ford Escape Hybrid Weight = 3,893 lbs
Current price of gold = $17,500.33/lb
Value in fuel saved = $68,128,784.69

Fuel equivalent (@ $2.30/gallon) = 29,621,210 gallons saved

"Ford Escape Hybrid is 70% more efficient than the regular Escape"
Fuel used with Hybrid = 29,621,210 gallons /0.7 = 42,316,014 gallons

Total distance traveled (34 mpg?) = 1,438,744,476 miles

That's 57,776 trips around the Earth, or one trip to Uranus. Pretty good stuff in those hybrids!

(Disclaimer: I'm a loser with too much time on my hands...)
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Lol, n1.

Yeah, when I was looking for a car, I had been driving a '95 Corolla and didn't want to drop mpg about 10, so I went with the hybrid. I've basically broken even on the added cost of the hybrid vs. the V6 or other normal options. So now I'm just saving everytime at the pump.

Thing even has a tow hitch, for like 1500 pounds max. :D
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Why choose the Escape haven? You need an SUV? The cargo space I mean. There are better choices if going for the hybrid/MPG route. Depending on the type of driving you do, you could actually be saving a lot more by getting a car with a better drag coefficient. It maybe to late now as the investment has been made but something to consider for the future. And if it was AWD you needed more shapely cars can have that too.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Oh, certainly true about more efficiency. I wanted something a bit larger than the Corolla I was in, and I love being taller on the road, but I get that I could be even more efficient if I stayed in a sedan model.

Perhaps my next car will be a Fusion hybrid or something. We'll see.

Granted, some of these considerations rely heavily on gas prices. Right now, they're hovering around the point where it may not make sense to go the hybrid route. Certainly when they dropped a few months ago, it was that way where a less efficient but cheaper gas only car was way less expensive overall.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

hybrids are great city vehicles and lousy for extensive hwy usage..in fact gas is better...so i would pick base on needs rather than gas prices, of course this can change as newer models get better...also hybrids are not as good in cold climates based on battery life being much lower in freezing weather....longevity of battery packs is what turned me off...ie:if you keep it longer than 5-6 years it could be expensive...you can buy alot of gas with 6-7000 bucks that it costs to replace...of course extended warranty is nice...give it a few more months and let us know how u like it
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Hehe, I've had this Escape since middle of 2011. Bought it used and its still chugging a long. It's paid off and so hopefully keeps working out for another couple of years, or longer. It is a bit of a commuter vehicle, but I really do enjoy being a bit higher up on the road than a car.

I guess I posted this because I'm a city slicker and don't know cars or engines very well, but figured I'd share my suburbanite ride.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

i hate hybrids...put baseball cards in the spokes so i can hear ya or something ;)
i almost got run over several times by them......dang tree huggers!
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Prius drivers give us a bad rap.

Heh.

Check out this sweet non-gas ride I snapped a pic of a while back:

Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Good design, no? :o

ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

teslas are sweet...the 120gs for the new model p85d can be remotely called on private property this is cool!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tesla-p ... -1.2794608
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

I'm thinking once electric cars truly become mainstream, we're going to have the electronic accessory vendors doing what they've done in every other sector.

Meaning you'll be able to drive your Tesla over to any Best Buy or Fry's and drive out pulling a mophie® juice wagon™ plus+, a small two-wheeled trailer that gives you an additional 120 minutes of drive time. Or choose instead the mophie® juice wrapper™, which looks like a normal ground effects package for the Tesla but conceals another 50 minutes worth of battery charge.

-Trench
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Trench thats very interesting...my gas station will have these in a pile and i can just back up and connect a new one...you know that makes it so much more feasible if only i could get minimum 300 miles a pack...that might be what teslas 3 billion dollar investment in a nevada battery factory is all about...
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I wonder if it would be possible to actually have a removeable battery that can come out quickly and be replaced in the same amount of time as normal refueling for a gas vehicle? I don't know if there are safety issues that would be insurmountable, and hence the need to recharge. Turbo charging seems cool, but still, very long wait to only get what? Half a charge?

Still, the 85kWh Tesla Model S gives you 265 miles. That isn't terrible at all. My Escape Hybrid will go maybe 430-450 miles. If you just plug it in each night, its very reasonable, even if you forget occasionally, you should have plenty of charge.

It is the longer haul stuff where it becomes a problem. People have done these cross country tours with Tesla to show how you can drive from Turbo Charger to Turbo charger across the country, but it takes like a week or more. Haha. A gas car can do it in about 3 days.

I'm excited to see where it all goes though. I read an article about Musk about 4-5 years ago, and was really impressed. Wish I'd had the foresight (and money) to invest in some stock. :)
=sBs=SEANY
Canada

Post by =sBs=SEANY »

Hav3n wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to actually have a removeable battery that can come out quickly and be replaced in the same amount of time as normal refueling for a gas vehicle?
This was done a while ago:
phpBB [video]

Hav3n wrote:Turbo charging seems cool, but still, very long wait to only get what? Half a charge?
But also free.
Hav3n wrote:I'm excited to see where it all goes though. I read an article about Musk about 4-5 years ago, and was really impressed. Wish I'd had the foresight (and money) to invest in some stock. :)
I also missed that boat :(
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I had no idea they did the battery swap. Amazing. Granted, you pay for it, but if you're driving a Model S, I imagine that $60-80 is worth the hour saved. :)

23 gallons was a bit cheeky. That Audi likely gets 2x the range from that tank of gas as the Tesla, and...there is the disadvantage that gas pumps are decades old tech. If Tesla designed a gas pump where it was automated, it would give you 23 gallons of gas in about 20 seconds probably. Just pull up, it opens the modified wide fuel entry port, fire hose commences, and done. Alas, we're stuck with pumps that "at their fastest" give 10 gallons a minute.

Wildly impressive all the same. Funny I never knew about that. I guess I can't even call myself a Tesla fanboy.