Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Top 5 American sports cars

Post by toolman »

Not muscle cars, not sedans.

In no particular order....

1) Corvette.
Nobody can really dispute that this "IS" our best option over the long haul.

2) Shelby Cobra.
Alum frame, glass body and kicking the Europeans ass all over their tracks before it was trendy. Thanks Carroll.

3) Ford GT
I have talked to a few people that have actually driven one at work.....it goes fast. So what if it has a bunch of "non american" stuff in it.....

4) Dodge Viper
Thanks again Carrol Shelby. A car with a V-10 means it doesn't need a radio.

5) Jeep
Don't be hatin on me...it fits the criteria. We call it soccer, "they" call it football..same sport different fields. :) besides it wasn't my idea anyway.

"Jeep is America's only sports car." Enzo Ferrari

:D
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Top 5 American sports cars

Post by OddJob2021 »

I like the idea of the thread a lot, but in the OP you state, "No muscle cars, no sedans" then you post cars like the viper, with its 8.3 liter monster, and the vette... I'd say even the fordGT is a muscle car by today's standards. IMO, the only engines that are not considered 'muscle' are low literage engines with forced induction.
But I like the idea of staying American, and your choices cover almost all the bases. So I don't de-rail this one, I'll make a separate thread with a different subject.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

That because the Vette and the Viper were not considered "muscle cars" Both were based on the reason of speed and for the vette .. Handling. ... Muscle cars were cars with, 1 a big(ger) motor stuff in between the fender wells or 2 the grociery getter with a hemi or big block. ;)

A sedan is a 4 door car. Coupe would be a 2 dr. So I am still with Tool on this one ... sry Jay ... keep your foriegn car out of this post LOLOLOL :D
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

^some good info. I never intended to bring my car into discussion, it's not American! So a muscle car is defined then by being an mainly OEM car with an aftermarket (or maybe larger from the same company and transplanted?), larger motor, or the DD with again a larger motor than factory? Good info. Well in that case this game should be easy, just choose factory cars! :)

1: Viper ACR (so it can handle, this beast has bested many other cars considered 'race cars' at the Nurburgring in Germany due to its amazing grip and stability, it loses a lot of top end though due to the extreme downforce)
2: Corvette (50+ years and going strong, newest models are serious competition for all others)
3: Mustang (again a long standing brand, had its ups and downs but the newest model and motor is a work of art)
4: Shelby Cobra (a classic, and replica kit-cars are still made today to honor the style)
5: Jeep (I agree with Tim and Enzo here lol, it doesn't need to handle or accelerate fast to be a sports car. the Jeep is such a tough beast, a proudly American [sports] car)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

OddJob2021 wrote:I never intended to bring my car into discussion, it's not American!
I was just giving you crap as you mentioned the forced induction engines but dont worry most of the cars on this list are at best 75% American ;) I will agree on the list with the Viper being the ACR version. The original was nothing more than a tire roaster. Everyone that I talked to that had one said it was tough to keep in a straight line from a standing start and damn near impossible to keep in between the lines on a curvy back road. I will say I never really cared for the exhaust note of that car either. Just sounded weird.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Nightstalker wrote:... I will agree on the list with the Viper being the ACR version. The original was nothing more than a tire roaster. Everyone that I talked to that had one said it was tough to keep in a straight line from a standing start and damn near impossible to keep in between the lines on a curvy back road. I will say I never really cared for the exhaust note of that car either. Just sounded weird.
Yeah lol, the note was strange huh? Kind of like a 'buuuuurrrrrrrr' when stock, opened up is a different story lol, loud as $%&#. The e60 M5 also had a V10, but with much less displacement at 5.0L (in the s85's case, 305.1ci). The exhaust note was awesome, opened up it sounded like an F1 thanks to a factory 8500rpm rev limit.