Moving BF3 or 4 to a different hard drive.

OREX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Moving BF3 or 4 to a different hard drive.

Post by OREX »

There are probably other ways but these instructions worked for me.

How to move Battlefield 3 from one Hard Drive to Another (SSDs)

1. First things first, on your new drive create a directory similar to your C:\ drive. For example: Program Files (x86)\Origin Games

2. Open up Origin, and go to Origin>Application Settings. In General you'll find "Download Games". Showing where games will be downloaded to. Press the CHANGE button and select your new hard drive.

A screen should show up saying it will download games there from now on, but original games will not be moved.

3. Open up your original BF3 location, and rename the folder to something else. (I.E. Battlefield 3-1)

4. Close Origin

5. Copy and paste the Battlefield 3 folder to your new drive, this may take a while since its around 20+ GB. And make sure its set back to "Battlefield 3"

6. Open up Origin, and right click on Battlefield 3 game on "My Games" You'll see the Play button isnt there, and it will show "Download". Press Download and continue, agree with conditions and whatnot. And If everything went well it should instantly jump to 100%.

7. From there it might take a bit, and it will start installing again. After a while (few minutes for me) it will start re-downloading the updates. Just cancel the update downloads, as you should already have them (if not copy and paste the "Update" folder to your new directory

8. Restart Origin, and click "Check for Updates". It should say if BF3 is ready, or it will replace any small missing files.