Punkbuster Service Abnormality/Can not Update

Need help?
shotgunner

Punkbuster Service Abnormality/Can not Update

Post by shotgunner »

Hello,
I just installed Windows 7 64Bit and would like to play Battlefield 1942 again. However, I am unable to due to some issues with punkbuster.

The first problem is that with the old un-updated punkbuster files I can play in any service until I kicked because the Punkbuster files timed out trying to update. In order to fix this problem I tried both punkbuster update fixes listed in this forum along with another one I found on google. While, all of them worked it brought me to a new problem.

After trying each punkbuster fixed I was completely unable to join any server running punkbuster. As soon as the server would connect I would get kicked because of a "Punkbuster Service Abnormality". I do not know what this error means or how to get around it. The only thing I can do is reload my old un=updated PB folder in the BF folder and then am I able to play again but with an eventual kick because of an update timeout.

If anyone could please help me that would be great.

PS: Yes, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling BF 1942, Mods, and Punkbuster.
gat

Re: Punkbuster Service Abnormality/Can not Update

Post by gat »

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Wasnt there some issues with the 64 bit Win7 and BF1942 ... i thought that was found to be the problem .. Win 7 32 bit ran it fine .. at least that is what I was hearing ... i am still running XP though ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Dude,

When you post the EXACT same thing on another forum, assuring them that you have tried everything they have to say, it's not as convincing.

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/punkbuster ... 24157.html

Did you try running the service executables in compatibility mode as well?
i_am_not_your_father
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by i_am_not_your_father »

This tells me that something went south when you applied the PB fix. I also had to apply the fix and after a few trials and errors I was able to get it to work. BF1942 DC runs fine now under my Win 7 64-bit box.

The thread that I followed to fix it was viewtopic.php?f=11&t=845
IANYF
shotgunner

Post by shotgunner »

Swanny-CG wrote:Dude,

When you post the EXACT same thing on another forum, assuring them that you have tried everything they have to say, it's not as convincing.

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/punkbuster ... 24157.html

Did you try running the service executables in compatibility mode as well?
I spread my post across several forums because I wanted to increase my chances of getting a solution. Also, most forums have the same 2 solutions posted. Especially the two I posted at :)
i_am_not_your_father wrote:This tells me that something went south when you applied the PB fix. I also had to apply the fix and after a few trials and errors I was able to get it to work. BF1942 DC runs fine now under my Win 7 64-bit box.

The thread that I followed to fix it was viewtopic.php?f=11&t=845
IANYF
Thank you, I took your tip and tried patch one. Then I played around with it and changed the game and services Punkbuster A&B to Windows 98/Me run in Administrator Mode. Do you have to run the game in compatibility mode? If so under what compatibility? Does this create LAG playing in compat mode?
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I think XP compatibility mode is OK (either SP2 or SP3) and run it as Administrator (if you have UAC turned on, maybe even if you don't).
i_am_not_your_father
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by i_am_not_your_father »

shotgunner wrote:Thank you, I took your tip and tried patch one. Then I played around with it and changed the game and services Punkbuster A&B to Windows 98/Me run in Administrator Mode. Do you have to run the game in compatibility mode? If so under what compatibility? Does this create LAG playing in compat mode?
It is recommended you run it in compatibility mode. I have mine running in Windows XP SP3 mode without problems. It crashes on rare occasions but not big deal.

As for lag, I cannot comment because I bought a new computer that already came with Win 7 64-bit installed as opposed to upgrading my old box from Win XP to Win 7, which is what you are doing if I am not mistaken. My guess is that lag would be more of a network issue. You may not get the performance of a native 64-bit game application by running in emulation mode but what is your other option really? Frequent crashes I believe or just stay with native Win XP.

Hope this helps,

IANYF