Death bubbles

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

Dvaren

Death bubbles

Post by Dvaren »

Hello everyone.

I've been on EA117 for quite a while now (as many of you may know) but I'll new to posting here on the forums. I have been reading your posts here for quite some time also, but never had anything really useful to add (until today!)....well...at least I think it's useful. =)

I find it a bit irritating that there are death bubbles around bases that are equipped with SA3's, SCUDs, and artillery. Although they are still accessible to a point, it puts the defender at a disadvantage. It most cases I must take artificial damage to defend myself and my mates from a target that does not share this disadvantage.

I would even go so far as to say, "Why have death bubbles at all?" Some would answer, "Duh! To prevent base camping! It's against the rules, ya know!" Even this makes little sense to me. Everyone knows that it's against the rules to base camp. It is even posted as a server message in gray. TK'n is also against the rules, but friendly fire is not turned off.....

In my opinion (for what it's worth, lol), any player that can not stay out of the enemies main should simply be kicked and repeat offenders banned. There may be some strife when admins are not on, but since when would that be different from the way it is now? In fact there are already non-bubbled mains on certain maps...we seem to get by with them, admin or no admin!

Anyways...just adding my two cents. Just a thought to ponder. Take care all.

DV
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Death bubbles

Post by Swanny-CG »

We found that with the majority of the maps the "no camping" rule must be one that enforces itself for the rule to be effective. When we are on, we spent more time babysitting people who weren't kept out by an automated system.

TKing is enforced by a -5 kick or punish, with an eventual ban for repeat offenders. It is still possible to basecamp, and people do it all the time. There is a consequence for that too, if we're there to see it.

I love the SA3 and I get hammered all the time. We've had the bubbles around for as long as I can remember, and it's seemed to work so far ...

There is always someone that will take advantage of any little hole left open to exploit the rules, maps or server. Automating as much as possible allows me more time to enjoy the server while I'm there, which is the only reason I do what I do.

Now I guess between us we have four cents. :)
Demonic

Post by Demonic »

i would go as far to suggest more of the maps to have them ol death bubbles added, coz most of the regs know that when no admin are there to 'babysit' (a fair comment i might add) all hell breaks loose on the server and the 'children' of the game take advantage of it.

having them is the only way to keep some kind of chance for either side, to still fight their way back into the game, if they get pinned down inside their own base.

i not got no cents/sense so i will have to borrow some off someone........ >: D
Dvaren

Post by Dvaren »

Swanny-CG wrote:We found that with the majority of the maps the "no camping" rule must be one that enforces itself for the rule to be effective. When we are on, we spent more time babysitting people who weren't kept out by an automated system.
While I can easily imagine the truth of this, I have to wonder: at what point do the returns gained on a punishment merit a stricter punishment? Perhaps a one week ban, instead of a one hour kick for instance, would drive the lesson home a bit more effectively. I personally would not want to see you, or any other admin for that matter, forced into perpetual "babysitting"...lol.

Swanny-CG wrote:TKing is enforced by a -5 kick or punish, with an eventual ban for repeat offenders.
I realize that I used TK'ing as an example in my OP, which may have been a mistake. The primary difference here is that the majority of TKs are mistakes whereas the vast majority of basecamping instances are not.
Swanny-CG wrote:It is still possible to basecamp, and people do it all the time. There is a consequence for that too, if we're there to see it.
Your first sentence here seems to support my theory that the punishment may be too lax for the crime. If people are doing it all the time they obviously are willing to accept the consequences. If they are only willing to do it all the time in the absence of an admin, then perhaps a kick vote should be instated. If that is not desirable, would it be conceivable for a few specially chosen players to report on the behavior of disruptive players to admins?
Swanny-CG wrote:I love the SA3 and I get hammered all the time. We've had the bubbles around for as long as I can remember, and it's seemed to work so far ...
While I've never been much good in the SA3, lol, I do absorb quite a bit of their ammunition =p. SCUDs become a nuisance also.
Swanny-CG wrote:There is always someone that will take advantage of any little hole left open to exploit the rules, maps or server. Automating as much as possible allows me more time to enjoy the server while I'm there, which is the only reason I do what I do.
I completely understand. I too would become frustrated if I had to spend a significant portion of my playtime scolding the locals. I also am strongly against basecamping. I only brought it up because, although I knew the purpose of the bubbles, I didn't totally agree with the disadvantage to advantage ratio. I see a lot of people engaged in dubious activities even when the admins are on. I believe they do this because the rewards of their behavior overcome their fear of reprisals.....

.....and there's an easy way to remedy that! If you smack my hand everytime I snatch a cookie...well...I believe the cookie is worth it. If you light my rear end up with a car antenna....well...to h*ll with that cookie! =p
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Well, yesterday I just banned a very regular player who, at the start of Guadal, came instantly over and strafed the blue runway. He's been on the bench for a week before, this time it's for a month.

We tried to make the bubbles large enough to discourage basecamping without providing safe haven for arty and such. On Eastings we made a reverse death bubble, which kills the rocket trucks if they try to bring them into their own main. This is primarily because there is no air to take them out and we don't want a rain of fire on the mian in an attempt to kill the trucks.
I think the bubbles are here to stay. What might be a better discussion is specific to the various sizes of the bubbles on certain maps - making them larger or smaller depending on the issues people encounter.
Lt.Dangle
United States of America

Post by Lt.Dangle »

can i also suggest, just throwing it out their. can u make it were shilka cant hide in main on bocage day 2.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

Anyway you can make a ..umm, welll a sorta walkway so SpecOps can walk up to SA3's and Arty pieces without fearing the bubble?
What makes America great? Guns and Liquor. Be sure to save a round for Obama.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

MOJORyder wrote:Anyway you can make a ..umm, welll a sorta walkway so SpecOps can walk up to SA3's and Arty pieces without fearing the bubble?
You either know something I don't or just meant "can you" vs. "you can". :)

Not that I know of (it would be invisible anyway), but the Ladas (carbombs) are immune to the bubble. Getting into the enemy base is the challenge.
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

On umm, Desert Shield, I have been able to sneak into red main from the North East hills area and C4 the Rocket Truck thingy... but sometimes the player moves it or sometimes I want to take out the scud and simply cannot get there before the bubble kicks in,

Basically, there is a small "walkway" (that I can show you next time we're both on that map) so you can walk up and c4 the BM21 rocket truck
What makes America great? Guns and Liquor. Be sure to save a round for Obama.
redsled

Post by redsled »

i myself do not like the deathbubbbles at all. for example on Tobruk you cannot get close enough to red main without dying to snipe. yet they can snipe blue main with no problems. if you like to snipe death bubbles really suck.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

There is no blue main on Tobruk.

Mojo, I think you perhaps just hadn't hit the edge of the bubble there, but I doubt you were walking *through* it or were on a safe path. It should be basically a ball that extends into the ground, so the part above ground would be a dome (or bubble lol).
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

The blue bubble on Easting is horrible. The MLRS can rape the outpost flag and there's really no way to destroy it.
fireWIRE
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

You're trippin - unless they drive it in and constantly repair it for the two minutes they can keep it up I can get it in three shots or less. Ask Sledge.