for all you "aircraft nuts"

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

DirtNapp

for all you "aircraft nuts"

Post by DirtNapp »

I've been into aircraft since I can remember. I grew up next to Los Alamitos Naval Air Station, the largest (at that time) on the west coast. The yearly open house event was the highlight of my young life. Sitting in the cockpits of P-38's, P-47's, etc. are some of the most vivid memories I have. Anyway, here is a site you may enjoy. I'm sure most of this stuff never left the drawing board but it demonstrates that the Germans were definetely "thinking outside the box".

Dirtnapp

http://www.luft46.com/
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Re: for all you "aircraft nuts"

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Growing up in Los Angles in the 60's (shut up). My Dad was the dispatcher for the helocopter air service. L. A. Airways. at 4 and 5 years old he would take me to work for the day and I would play in the cockpits of the Sikorsky S-61L and H-19, the later is used on the DC server.
800px-6308-340DisneyLandChopper-R.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
SimpleEpicness
Great Britain

Post by SimpleEpicness »

Thanks for the site.
I've been an absolute aircraft nut since a very young age, and i'm currently part way through taking my pilots test.
The Jersey International Air Display is one of those things I look forward to all year long over here, as it's just plane epic (see what I did thar?) as it also gives many opportunities to not only see the aircraft in action, but also look around inside various aircraft including modern fighter jets which you wouldn't expect to be able to see.
Axel
Canada

Post by Axel »

Sarge wrote:Growing up in Los Angles in the 60's (shut up). My Dad was the dispatcher for the helocopter air service. L. A. Airways. at 4 and 5 years old he would take me to work for the day and I would play in the cockpits of the Sikorsky S-61L and H-19, the later is used on the DC server.
800px-6308-340DisneyLandChopper-R.jpg
Cool story Sarge :-)

Do you remember actually playing in the heli you have pictured, the S-61L? The one pictured (N300Y) was the very same heli that crashed claiming 21 souls in 1968.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

We new the pilots in both accidents. Flight 417 and 841 both went down months apart. Two years later they sold to Golden West Airlines. They both threw a rotor blade. Tilting the rotor forward in 841 it decapatated both pilots and in 417 the rotor went towards the rear seperating the tail section. I think that one almost made it down until the rear rotor came off. And yes, I played in all of them. I was 9 yrs. old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angele ... Flight_417
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angele ... Flight_841

Heres a few snaps the arrow is my Dad.
The other one is the ill fated Helo Flight 417 we used to have out lunch in the cockpit then run all over the hanger in the back.
7239710_origdad.jpg
2288537_orig dad.jpg
712524_orig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
BoOn
Canada

Post by BoOn »

Thats a pretty good share of one of your memories Sarge, thanks.
DirtNapp

Post by DirtNapp »

Sarge,
Love the old pics.