F-15 Magic

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: F-15 Magic

Post by Nightstalker »

I do believe, the he(Raptor) like many of the pilots here, have mastered the "other views skill" Although I should say that I think he may be the professor LOLOL.

I am still really liking the idea of removing the other views. It would make it a true FPS and cause pilots to use the mouse look and give me the feeling that I have 10% chance against some of you versus the 1% I normally feel. :roll: ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

mouse to look..? I forgot all about that.....sounds good to me.....

and while your at it, turn the god view when you die off too.

hate it when im on a roof and someone dies below me then gets to see me...
swodi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by swodi »

I'd be good with no alt-views - and I'd also be good with no kill cam - I hear ya zanshin
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

i am all for the above suggestions, you guys hit the nail on the head
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Rye you probably already do alot of "mouse look" anyways don't you? I do while in a helo but RARELY if ever while in a plane.

In case some of you are wondering what I am talking about when I say "mouse look" get in a plane or helo, push and HOLD the left shift button then move your mouse. It allows you to have the ability to look around in a aerial vehicle just like you do while on your feet.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I've done the mouse look by holding down the scroll wheel. However, it seems to reset any turning I'm doing, so you can only look quickly and then return to the normal view to continue turning. I wonder if there is a way to maintain a turn (say in a jet) and use the mouse look without stopping your turning? I think you can keep the throttle down, but I feel like you can't maintain a turn, or it locks the turn, or something while you're looking. I'll have to hop on and try it out some more.

I get the 1st person argument for removing the other views, but they're such a huge part of the game..I dunno. I really like 3rd person behind on vehicles because it gives me some perspective, but I get the point of going all 1st person to make it more realistic.

Perhaps the most useful technique with the mouse view is when you're in position 2 in a heli with Cheesemaster. You can look at him and critique his physique, his flight style (clothes) and pay other compliments/insults as needed.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I think we all would be effected by the lack of other views. I use them in a helo two but not necessarily to check out what is poking me in the back while in seat 2. I use the rearview periodically to check the 6 while the pilot is busy looking for enemies from the front.

I know some use them for infantry maps to see around and above buildings.

Hell I even bet the <CP> most beloved S.O.S even uses them while he is screwing everyone up in a tank. I am not certain of that but just stating I would bet we all would be effected at some point or another and I think it would be worth a try. I am going to have to re-install the game so I can get in on this action too. I am just hoping it fixes the bugs I got going on with getting disconnected all the time.
Raptor22
United States of America

Post by Raptor22 »

LOL ok I'll put my couple cents in I guess...

To those of you who don't know me using my current name (Do a barrel roll), yes... I was originally callsign "Raptor22" back in the days when I played this game competitively. In fact, ever since the game was released in 2002, I've been flying quite competitively and then acquired DC a few months after it was released as well. I spent 99% of the time in planes, flying competitively with old buddies (brings back so much memories) :) Also, I did hang with the top pilots of the game back in the day, and we used to rent a 4 man private box and all we ever did was go do 1v1s and 2v2s all day long.

I've been playing flight simulators (mainly combat ones) ever since I was 5 years old on an old Dell Optiplex machine manufactured in 1992, running DOS, before Windows even existed (and to this day I still have that machine, and yes it still works!) :lol: My childhood dream? To become a fighter pilot of course, but that never happened so I resorted to playing flight simulators. If you check my YouTube channel "direelite" you can also see some of my recent flight simulator footages :D

Long story short, Battlefield became my second favorite game, so mastering the flying part wasn't very difficult at all since I was already used to the complexity of a realistic simulator with many things to worry about, vs the simple arcade style flight physics of Battlefield (G forces, black outs, real time airspeed, fuel load, weapon load, angle of attack, stalls, energy, etc etc). So Jagd if you're wondering where I got the ACM and BFM tactics from, there's your answer :)

I'm always open to help people improve their flying skills if you're really interested. I am a student who works part time as a salesman so I also live quite a stressful life and don't have all the time in the world. Usually when I'm on it's also to relax during the night before bed time.

As Night Stalker mentioned to me privately in the past, if you feel I am making gameplay "boring" and "unfair" for you, just flat out tell me. I won't mind getting into a helicopter or tank or something... because I'm absolutely terrible with those and you'd kill me over and over again if I did :cry:
"The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it." - Friedrich Oblessor

"It's the man, not the machine." - Chuck Yeager
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I have to ask, what is #1 favorite game??? And have you tried WarThunder yet? I have and was not overly impressed even though it is decent.
Raptor22
United States of America

Post by Raptor22 »

Nightstalker wrote:I have to ask, what is #1 favorite game??? And have you tried WarThunder yet? I have and was not overly impressed even though it is decent.
Nah War Thunder is a cool little free arcade game but not really my cup of tea. I don't really have a "favorite" game, it depends on my mood!
"The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it." - Friedrich Oblessor

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Oh I figured when you said "Battlefield became your second favorite game" I just assumed you had to have a first ;)
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Night, I use the mouse view but that's about it, the external views make me want to Ralph.

HI do a barrel roll good to know your not a robot sent from the future...lol,
hopefully you can jump on TS one day and laugh at me when i screw up your guidance on flying, or maybe we can do some 1 vs 1 on helos like real men..jk bro
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I checked out your videos on YouTube Raptor. Good stuff. I like the Caspian F-18 one.

I too have loved jets/flying since being a kid. While I love it, I haven't become as technically proficient in fighter sims. I played some flight simulators growing up, and then any game that gives a fun flight, like Battlefield. In fact, that is what I love about Desert Combat the most I think. The helis and jets...and then the other units like armor and everything...then the FPS last of all probably. It's a great all around game, so much more interesting to me that straight FPS like Call of Duty, even though that can be fun too, but seems like more of a reaction/reflex game.

Look forward to seeing you in the game and I just hope you're on my team when I do.
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

Rgr Raptor.......ok from here on out.....most of the time, not all... but most......smack people in the face, not on the back of the head. no one will say thats boring..... :D
Raptor22
United States of America

Post by Raptor22 »

If I could give you a few hints, I'd say yes... Haven, you are correct about altitude and airspeed. The higher you are the faster you go (this applies in real life too, because of the thinner air up in higher altitudes and thus less air resistance, but you also lose maneuverability at the same time because of the thinner air). I always go up high, then coast down gradually and scan for targets in the normal altitude range. Since you never started that high, I would therefore have more speed and maneuverability than you so that's what you meant when I can snap around and line you up before you can make a full turn.

VIEWS VIEWS VIEWS! That's the most important part... cannot stress that enough. When you lose sight of your enemy you lose the fight! Dogfighting is not like a game of chess where you think and plan about what you'll do next, but instead you're REACTING to what your enemy is doing.

In DC physics, including old school 1942 flying, the rudders (A and D keys) will give you a temporary turn boost, but as a result bleed off your airspeed, if that's what you meant as well by almost catching up to the enemy in a turn but then lose the turning fight anyways because he kept his speed and simply out turned you. The only times I really use rudders is when I am aiming or just wanted that temporary turn boost to finish off the opponent before it drags on.

Also note that I fly in this game very similarly to how I fly in simulators. I am VERY careful with my speed and energy. I am only pulling back full blast about half the time, whereas the other half I'm easing back, gaining some energy to make another sharp turn. Look up "lag pursuit" and you'll know what I mean. It works wonders in a game like this, and I was surprised.

Back to work now, hope I gave you guys some insight 8-)

Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Do you use views assigned to F keys?

I've always cycled through the 4 views with "c," but after watching some of your videos you posted on another thread here a couple of years ago, I think you might be doing something that resets some of the views without changing to another camera. I think that would help me a lot. I often change views, but have to cycle through the 3 others to get the one I want reset based on my changing position.

I wish these jets in DC had altimeters and air speed indicators. (and "anti-Do a Barrel Roll" ground based missile tracking systems)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Haven I forget, are you playing with mouse and keyboard or joystick. I think everyone with a joystick has some of the keys assigned to different views. I did until I realized I am .. well I did not have the patients nor did I get a joystick that I think works well with this game. ;)
Raptor22
United States of America

Post by Raptor22 »

I do use a stick, the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 to be precise, and I also have my view keys assigned to the joystick buttons, so I'm able to cycle to any view I want with just one click, and back to first person view with another click etc. Makes it so much easier to keep an eye on the enemy at all times.

Raptor22
United States of America

Post by Raptor22 »

Here's a more recent footage of some DC dogfights. I was going up against Cro Cop (actually more like teaching him stuff and showing how to change views etc)... if you don't know who Cro Cop is, his real alias is actually "Raptor" as well, if you've ever seen [F7F7] Raptor in the past, yes that's him. Sorry Cro if I gave you away! :D

fromage

Post by fromage »

Hav3n wrote:Indeed, as JagdTurjey put it, may the cats be with you.
Indeed...indeed.

Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I may not be able to kill Barrel Roll, but I kill it with the ladies.

Raptor22
United States of America

Post by Raptor22 »

That's hilarious! I just got a kitteh myself... cats are awesome!

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

:31: ....sigh
fromage

Post by fromage »

Nightstalker wrote::31: ....sigh
LOL :6:
hoppin bob
United States of America

Post by hoppin bob »

This thread has been officially designated " derailed due to feline intervention".