Not automotive but it does (now) have a motor

Let's talk shop!
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Not automotive but it does (now) have a motor

Post by Nightstalker »

So my cousin told me about this square back canoe, much like a gheenoe. I got it for 100 bucks from one of the most "redneck" people I have ever met. He even had a daughter running around in a bikini top and jeans yelling at him about the dog being outside. (She was not all that as I know some of you want to know.) This boat was hand built by him and some friends. (They used to work at a boat manufacturing plant here in TN) any who, it was yellow gel-coat and he allowed his kids to paint on it. To give you another idea of how redneck, they painted cartoon characters all over it, to include Cartman from Southpark on the back of the boat ...PULLING HIS PANTS DOWN, ...mooning. :31:

Before.
IMG_0962-1.jpg
My BIL and I stayed up till around 11pm sanding and painting (we were hunting the next morning and needed the boat)
IMG_0963.jpg
He bought a 30 lb thrust trolling motor and a battery and we were sailing away. (Yes we missed a spot or two.... or three)
IMG_20131228_071539_433-1.jpg
While this worked, I had always had the want for a true gas burning outboard. I found one yesterday. Johnson Seahorse 2.5 HP tiller. 125 dollars negotiable. ... Seller and I meet up, make small talk, now some motor talk, $$$ talk, I look at the motor, grab the pull cord. Realize something is wrong with the recoil pull cord unit. Fixed that, pull again. Might as well have the rope tied to a telephone pole. UH OH. Motor is locked up. I pull the head and see ....

(This pic was after cleaning most of the rust out and yes the center hole/dent is supposed to be there)
IMG_20140129_180750_724.jpg
Little holes around the cylinder are water jackets for cooling and expect some rust coloring. Its the edges around the piston that are the issue.

Well, not I am thinking, HELL NO!!!! ..... Until ... well .... I brought it home for 5 bucks hahahahahaa.

It broke free easy as hell after soaking in Kroil. Adjusted the coil as it was hitting the flywheel magnet, and now throwing one hell of a spark. Tomorrow will be *hopefully* find a new impeller (for the water cooling) drain and refill the lower unit, clean out the carb, make a new gasket for the one I tore and fire her up. Then if the weekend is decent, make some waves.

My wife thinks it looks great right here. ;)
IMG_20140129_213710_071.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Re: Not automotive but it does (now) have a motor

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Grrrrrr! Looks like a good fine. Such a cute put, put. Getting ..harder to.....type....must be.........an assho....le....fffaaagggg

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

LOL It is cute. I am hoping for a little more speed as the trolling motor has enough power to just make a few ripples. I am not looking for a speed boat, but 10-15 mph would be perfect. I got some aluminum angle iron that I am going to beef up the transom with just for safe measure. Also hoping some Seafoam and good gas will reveal less work on the carb cleaning part.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Last time I was in something like that I thought is head going to be washed up on shore dead. A Colman Canoe with a 7hp Merc a huge ice chest full of beer and three guys in it. In Mexico off San Felipe buying shrimp from the ships anchored off shore. Wasn't fun, but the shrimp were huge.

If you went with a biggest motor you may need a gas tank then? I would stay with your little classic and a spare gallon can and call it good. Check for a prop with a different pitch maybe.

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I hear ya, which is one thing I like about this little thing. Internal gas tank. It only holds .35 gal.(I think that number is correct) I figured worst case scenario I will fill a water bottle up with extra gas LOLOL. I doubt I will need it though as this will be a pond queen for the most part. I have not looked into a different prop and to be honest, I probably won't. I do not want to stress this hand built boat too much. I will get a picture of the transom area and you will see why I do not think it will hold too much weight/power. On a positive side, it does have some tie down areas for said cooler. ;)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Spark plug wire broke after doing alot of "fixing" to this motor.... Now, before you ask, the only waves that have been made by this motor are the ones between my wife and I. She says I spend too much time messing with stuff like this. Then she went back to looking at Facebook and Pintrest on her phone :31:

Back to the important stuff ... does anyone know if you can use the "composite" core spark plug wire on one of these types of motors? I.e. it has the same ignition as a lawnmower. The original wire was a SS core and the only thing the local autostore had was composite. Of course my ohm meter will not go high enough as some of these wires are 3500k + PER foot where copper will be in the 40-50ohm range. I am obviously not worried about any noise coming through my radio as ... well you figure it out.

Do I have to get a metal core wire or will the composite work fine?????
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Hey gnat brain. Go solid core wire. If you can't find it, straighten out a coat hanger a dip it in silicone. Lol. I would keep a set of points and a condenser in my pocket if not a paddle. Tell the woman to get back in the house and get me a beer!
Graphite is for higher voltage ignition systems. Your putter just farts a spark. Copper soils core. I don't think you'll find it at a auto store. Hit the marine shops. Back on the late 70's I was a Merc Mech. Really, I was everything. :oops:

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I found some copper core after I wrote that. She is back to sparking again ;)

I did assume the newer wire required some serious power but a buddy of mine said "Hell yea it'll work" ... I on the other hand have never had to replace a wire on a boat/small engine before. Coil AND wire as a whole yes. Not separate.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Nightstalker wrote:
Do you think your "Johnson" can handle the big heavy payload? :D
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

fromage wrote:
Nightstalker wrote:
Gee fromage....jealous?

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

fromage wrote:
Nightstalker wrote:
It says its a 2 horse so we will see.
Others say 2.5 :?
fromage

Post by fromage »

Nightstalker wrote:
fromage wrote:
Nightstalker wrote:
It says its a 2 horse so we will see.
Others say 2.5 :?
:D
Thonger

Post by Thonger »

kroil is magic liquid.

i'm also a fan of PB Blaster for cracking tough nuts. Like the kind that hasn't moved in 50 years.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Thonger wrote:kroil is magic liquid.

i'm also a fan of PB Blaster for cracking tough nuts. Like the kind that hasn't moved in 50 years.
I remember what you work on now. If anyone knows how to release his rusty nuts, it'd be you. :D
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.

*Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison
test.*
*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with
the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment.*

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission
fluid and acetone.*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one
particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now
use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about
as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. *
Your mileage may vary.....

BTW dont use heat on your rusty nuts when using acetone....off gases are not good i think..but u can say that about any chemicals i guess...
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Good stuff Rye. I was going to soak the piston in ATF but was out and I have a gallon of Kroil. I am just glad it was not as bad as I expected. Got the carb rebuild kit in last night. Will probably do that tonight if I am not busy trying keep the roof on with the bad incoming weather. :23:
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

(Picturing someone mid-project with greasy face and coveralls standing in line at a Sally's Beauty Supply, arms cradling a full load of nail polish remover bottles...)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Trench, that was no dream, that was actually Sarge as he prefers his homemade break free to smell lilac and jasmine.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

I'm man enough to admit it. Nighty preference is still swampass perfume eau du toilette.

Sorry. Just can't keep a secret. ;)

With Great Speed