is all data worth it?

Let's talk shop!
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

is all data worth it?

Post by ryeontherocks »

Hi Guys i was reading on the internet that all data liabrary for cars is the best bet for info and service stuff any of you guys use it or anyone have discount codes.

I am a diy guy so low cost high value is what i am shooting for ;)

http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: is all data worth it?

Post by toolman »

Hmm..that looks like it might be pretty decent actually. I could see that being worth value to someone who does try to take care of everything for themselves....especially to help with year specific information when it would come to TSB's ....Technical service bulletins...which are not really a recall but almost.....and there are lots of them and most people don't even know they exist.

Fact is that personally I typically search different internet forums for model specific information....or I use phone a friend when it comes to fords.

As far as my OWN personal vehicles I have factory service manuals for both of them...and they are jeeps so I already know how to deal with 90% of it already....but factory service manuals are fantastic when it comes to working stupid clips or needing to know a fluid capacity....or if you want to tear your transmission apart.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

cool thanks tool, i dont have that as an option for 300d Mercedes diesel and the factory manuals are 200 bucks....man what a rip off...i can use internet and have very successfully done so, but i sometimes dont have the time to monkey around, I found a great site that tells me how to do my timing chain but i was thinking while i am at it i can get all the other stuff done 2.
fromage

Post by fromage »

ryeontherocks wrote:cool thanks tool, i dont have that as an option for 300d Mercedes diesel and the factory manuals are 200 bucks....man what a rip off...i can use internet and have very successfully done so, but i sometimes dont have the time to monkey around, I found a great site that tells me how to do my timing chain but i was thinking while i am at it i can get all the other stuff done 2.
Rye, so what you're saying is, you're a cheap Canadian sloot? :P Have you tried ebay Canada for 3rd party or factory repair manuals?

I've pretty much accomplished most of what I was looking for through forums and downloadable repair manuals, or a combination of both.

No personal experience with that site you linked to, though. BTW, what year Benzo is your 300D?
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

We have alldata at the shop I work at. It is pretty good. We also use Mitchell's.

http://mitchell1.com/main/

PM me if you have any specific questions. I don't have a discount code or anything to give you. IMO, unless you plan to work on a multitude of cars, these things are like buying a 747 to take yourself to the destination... AKA a little over kill. Why? because you're only working on a single car. Even if you plan to work on a few, like your family's and close friends it is still overkill. IMO, you're better off using the internet and it's free resources.

Both have TSB's like tim said, capacities, electrical diagrams, and everything you could think of. In fact, there are a few mistakes within the system, wrong values, or hard to find mis-labeled menus/sub menus... nothing is perfect I guess. Anyway like I said, in my opinion, it will not be worth it, unless you find some kind of free cracked copy. You'll be paying for way more than you really need.

To be honest, we normally do not use the programs to help us with the car in question, the main source of information we use believe it or not is the book time. Our mechanics are really good so we usually beat the book time by a fair margin. I don't need to tell you the significance of doing that for the efficiency and profit of the shop. The other main information we use are the capacities, electrical diagrams and TSB's. The repair diagrams are pretty straight forward for any car and we only use them for reference when a problem arises.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

i cant believe i forgot to check this...sigh :(

Thanks guys i appreciate your feed back, i have a 1984 300d(its not a turbo) in mint shape off a friend of mine whom father passed away...he loved this car more than his wife hehe..so taking it to the machine shop to do a timing chain would be about a grand...and i know once poking around there is always other stuff to look at ie:i bought new injector tips and glow plugs and i gonna replace exhaust manifold gasket and various bushings...i have to be careful the car really isnt worth spending alot so hence diy is my way...

I did check ebay cheese but they all mention turbo versions or they are always slightly off...i am a bit apprehensive ...i guess i can ask.

thanks odd job...its very much appreciated, does "book time" offers comprehensive details of items like timing chains?? btw i thought of alldata cause i can get info and buy for just one car for 30 bucks a year..which isnt bank breaking. Diesel giant and other web sites offer a comprehensive guides on doing the job for diyers but i know there is always something else that could go wrong or might need tending too while i am at it. Mercedes source is another place i have bought other itemized manuals specific to this car, its nice cause it offers experience as well as detailed how too.

(btw my bro has rebuilt alot of motors as a hobby) ie upwards of a few dozen...so he is the one helping me out but he is limited on diesel motor....he is up for the challenge but i am just preparing to do it right.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

ryeontherocks wrote:...

thanks odd job...its very much appreciated, does "book time" offers comprehensive details of items like timing chains?? btw i thought of alldata cause i can get info and buy for just one car for 30 bucks a year..which isnt bank breaking. Diesel giant and other web sites offer a comprehensive guides on doing the job for diyers but i know there is always something else that could go wrong or might need tending too while i am at it. Mercedes source is another place i have bought other itemized manuals specific to this car, its nice cause it offers experience as well as detailed how too.
Book time is an expression that people use in my industry. Probably others too but I can't say for sure. It refers to the estimated, or expected time a job will take. It gives us an accurate labor price/estimate to tell the client before we start on the job. Lets use your timing chain as an example, let's say it shows 5 hrs. If our mechanics can do it in under that, we beat the book time and can collect full profit while starting on the next job sooner. Unless it's a very new car or a very old car we don't really use the programs to help us during the work. They're usually there as a reference, capacities for instance. We needed the oil capacity for a Mclaren MP4-12C. Hard to find even through google. And even then it's not specific, it shows 8.0 liters, but that's dry. An oil change for the M838T (McLaren motor) takes around 6.5-7 liters.

So you're willing to pay 30 bucks a year for a program you'll use (a lot now) almost never in the future (because it's only for a single application/car)? Hey man I won't tell you what to spend your money on but it just does not seem cost effective to me. In my opinion, because the car you're planning to work on is 'old' you should just use free online diy's/help. If it were brand new with not much info out there you could have a point.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

thanks odd job i was really only gonna get it for a year and let it go anyway...but you make a solid point...really what worries me is i have 1700000 miles on it..i have all of the mercedes records of service (man its crazy what he spent on it) but the motor might have to be rebuilt...so i might just drive it till it dies...which could be along time with this puppy;-).
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

1.7 MILLION MILES???

I think you'll be OK without the manual, you're driving God's Chariot.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

sry to tell you swanny but as per public opinion i am not perfect, although 170,000 sounds like alot its a diesel and i have seen cars with 700,000 and still running smooth as silk.. well outside it sounding like a washing machine full of golf balls! but thats the nature of the beast...and fyi i can throw used cooking oil veg oil fresh or used straight into the tank and it will purr like a kitten you try that with anything else ;)