Bad fuse?

Let's talk shop!
RebelNurse
United States of America

Bad fuse?

Post by RebelNurse »

Ok guys, I know I ain't played on the DC server in a few weeks lol, but I got a question for the automotive/electrically minded here.
I have an '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser, love it (pissed that Toyota is D/C'ing them next year), anyway. I think I might have a bad fuse to my radio and I want an opinion.
Out of the blue Monday, my radio would not turn on or light up. My lights, gauges, clock. ALL other electrical stuff worked. Well, after a few minutes, my radio would briefly come on, before a pop sound could be heard from the speakers and it shut off again. After driving about 30 minutes, it finally came on and stayed on. Starting Wednesday, I started my 7 night work rotation. Radio still screwed, won't come on, same thing, but now I hear a sound like the CD player switching tracks (there is no CD in it), started off as slow and random. On the drive home this AM that's ALL it did was "scritch scritch scritch" repeatedly. What is wrong? Bad fuse? I've NEVER had problems with this truck before and I've had it since '08. I work 6P-6A until Wednesday when I'm on my 7 off again. Should I try new fuses (assuming that's it), or take it to the Toyota place?
Any advice or suggestions welcome.
I was almost attacked by an armadillo once
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: Bad fuse?

Post by ryeontherocks »

i shouldn't be answering this but its never stopped me before lol
I have heard of this with a friends Acura mdx 2008...i dont think its a fuse well at least its probably not the root cause, i think he mentioned a bad cd reader or armature (not sure of jargon)...what i know it make clicking noises when first starting the car then it goes haywire..anyhooo its probably a bad cd player and it might be worth a trip to the junkers to find a good rebuilt one or bring it to small electronic shops whom wont gouge...my 2 cents.
Derick Vinyard
United States of America

Post by Derick Vinyard »

In my experience and knowing how fuse work, that is likely not the problem. A fuse is simply explained as a connection that works or does not.

Fuseology: http://fuseone.com/fuseology.aspx

I found some other related info on Toyota's having similar issues (seems common in the 08's):

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t ... ouble.html

I recommend getting an after market head unit :)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Agreed ... its the head unit
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
RebelNurse
United States of America

Post by RebelNurse »

Yeah, been busy with work and crap, finally started 7 nights off and just today looked at it, fuses good and no loose wires on head unit...
On the upside, I'm off work till Wednesday night and I won a rifle in a raffle, a Thompson Center Venture 22-250!! :D

It's all good!
I was almost attacked by an armadillo once
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Jerk, my boss just won a Remington Versa-Max .. I hate you both. :x
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.