Access to EA117 server

New to the boards? Make your first post here
Ninja2014
United States of America

Access to EA117 server

Post by Ninja2014 »

Hi all...Ninja here. I kept having issues with PB (ignoring MD5 tool quiries). So I removed/reinstalled game with all updates/patches. I can get on all other servers (Moon, Maxnet, HHD, etc.) except EA117. As soon as I click to join it starts to load then kicks me. I was on earlier today, but can't get back on after fresh reinstall of game. Help!
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Access to EA117 server

Post by Trench »

One reason that happens to me after a re-install is that I forget to check the "Use PunkBuster" checkbox. Which is not in any of the normal game configuration screens, but instead is at the bottom of the "Internet" server map list screen. (Same screen as where you would interactively pick to join EA117 instead of a different server.) If you're using a shortcut or something to join, you might even be skipping past that screen entirely and cannot see that it's un-checked.

Other servers would work because they don't require PunkBuster.

-Trench
Ninja2014
United States of America

Post by Ninja2014 »

Trench, I do have PunkBuster checked. Tried again and it goes from connecting to Kicked From Server. Have I been kicked?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

There is no ban listed for your username, if that's what you mean.

The "fine on other servers, but kicked immediately from EA117" still makes me think PunkBuster. Does "all updates/patches" include the TanksPBUpdate or PBSetup42 update? Also, if you are on Windows 7 or later, is your new / re-installed shortcut setup to run BF1942.EXE using "Run as Administrator" and with Windows NT 4.0 SP5 or Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode?

Essentially, were all the steps from HOW TO: Use an Origin-downloaded Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server (if you're using Origin) or HOW TO: Use the CD-based Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server (if you're re-installing from CD-ROM) covered when performing the new installation.

-Trench
Ninja2014
United States of America

Post by Ninja2014 »

The latest PB update I installed was TanksPBUpdate. I do have the BF1942.EXE running as an administrator and check boxed for running in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I also ran the updates using the CD-based method. Just not sure why I'm unable to play on EA117 but can on other servers. Hmmmmm.
Ninja2014
United States of America

Post by Ninja2014 »

Just tried to get on EA117 again. No worky! I can see number of players on, but when I click to join it takes me to the loading screen but the task bar does not move and then I get the message Kicked From Server.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

My guess would still be "PunkBuster" rather than "only EA117". Try using the "PunkBuster Only" filter in the server list, so that you see only servers that require PunkBuster, and try joining any of those. Should either confirm or rule out that any PunkBuster server is rejecting this re-installed client.

The only other thing coming to mind is whether you elected to install PunkBuster during the Battlefield 1942 1.6 update, or if TanksPBUpdate is the /only/ PunkBuster installation you've done. TanksPB only contains the updated files, and cannot actually "install" PunkBuster on a machine that doesn't have it.

-Trench
Ninja2014
United States of America

Post by Ninja2014 »

Just joined HHD server with PunkBuster Only filter. Worked. The only PB install I used prior to Tanks was the one that came with the software discs. Is there another PB update I was supposed to install prior to Tanks?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Nope, what you've done sounds right. And the fact it works on another PunkBuster server should mean its okay. HHD is DesertCombat too, so that should rule out any kind of mis-matched files, incomplete DC .7 or Final install, etc.

Can you go ahead and post your key hash (not the key, but the hash generated by entering your key into BFHasher without any spaces or dash characters) and we can double-check the ban list. I'm talking about the BFHasher program linked to in the unban request procedure instructions.

-Trench
Ninja2014
United States of America

Post by Ninja2014 »

Here it is:
9910e01dad0c0af30ba1b59dd2fbfc96
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

That matches the hash you had before the rebuild, and that hash is definitely not in the EA117 ban list under some other name, etc. Your public IP address looks different than the one you were playing with previously (or, at least the IP address you registered "Ninja2014" from), but I don't find either of the IP addresses in the ban list either. So I don't think a ban is the issue, especially if all you did was rebuild before this started.

Because you can see the in-game server list (since you were able to use the "PunkBuster Only" filter), it would seem that you successfully applied a GameSpy fix as part of the rebuild. Can you confirm whether you're using a CD-based Battlefield 1942 or the Origin version? And in either case, what is the URL or name of the download you used to apply the GameSpy fix.

I'm just grasping at straws now, because I don't see any reasonable explanation for why it's failing to connect. HHD is a 1.612 (Origin) server just like ours, so whatever fix you ran that connected to their server seems like it should connect here too. But just want to confirm its not some strange "applied the CD fix to an Origin install" or something like that.

-Trench
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Trench. Your so knowledgeable, you should be sitting right next to Stephen Hawkings in one of Mordors old wheelchairs. ;)

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed