Powder coat OEM wheels

Let's talk shop!
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Powder coat OEM wheels

Post by Trench »

I'm finally getting the window tint done this week on my 2012 Jeep Liberty, and it's made me want to consider putting some black rims on it too. I generally dislike most of the aftermarket and "black with machined metal accents" wheels, many of which have too much negative space (presumably for showing off your braking package) for my taste.

So I'm thinking "I like the OEM rims, I just want them in satin black." Anyone have positive or negative experience with getting their existing rims powder coated? I can also just order brand new OEM rims from a vendor who is happy to power coat them before shipping them out. But I don't actually need a second set of rims, so I would only want to go that direction if there is a solid reason powder coating the current rims wouldn't be smart.

-Trench
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Powder coat OEM wheels

Post by Trench »

Approximation? With all the other trim and accents being black, the original wheels just seemed out of place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Ya know, if you aren't looking for a gloss finish (like your picture and description, matte) you have the option of Plastidip. It's way cheaper, and the great side is it's removable, rather than the option of powdercoating over the clearcoat on your rims which would remove the factory clearcoat (should you want to ever revert).
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Interesting. The price I'm being quoted for power coating (US$60/rim) already seemed pretty reasonable. What is the kind price you would expect for plastic dip?

Definitely don't want glossy; I would go full matte finish if I wasn't concerned about holding marks and dirt more easily. I was able to see some rims done in a satin black by a local power coat shop and it seemed "just right" in the compromise between hardness and flatness.

Yeah, I do expect they are going to bead-blast the current finish off the rim in order to perform the powder coat. I get the idea of being reversible, but it also seems like the trade-off there would be "it comes off easily"? (Whether you want it to or not.) I'm already concerned about how visible things like accidental curb scrapes are going to be even with the powder coat; with a plastic dip, is a scrape like that going to start "peeling" the whole thing?

Thanks for the info.

-Trench
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Trench wrote:Interesting. The price I'm being quoted for power coating (US$60/rim) already seemed pretty reasonable. What is the kind price you would expect for plastic dip?

Definitely don't want glossy; I would go full matte finish if I wasn't concerned about holding marks and dirt more easily. I was able to see some rims done in a satin black by a local power coat shop and it seemed "just right" in the compromise between hardness and flatness.

Yeah, I do expect they are going to bead-blast the current finish off the rim in order to perform the powder coat. I get the idea of being reversible, but it also seems like the trade-off there would be "it comes off easily"? (Whether you want it to or not.) I'm already concerned about how visible things like accidental curb scrapes are going to be even with the powder coat; with a plastic dip, is a scrape like that going to start "peeling" the whole thing?

Thanks for the info.

-Trench
60/rim is a good deal first off (I assume that includes labor). If you never plan on changing them back it's a great option and probably the one you should go with. For the record I don't have first hand experience with Plastidip (I think it's an actual brand by the way). A friend of mine coated a set of wheels in them during his lease. He never needed to 'replace it' or anything. It was chipped by rocks or debris but it doesn't 'come off easily' like you question. You can do your own research, I hope that doesn't sound dickish. I'm not trying to sell you on anything, just trying to help. Also my buddy plastidipped them himself so that reduced his cost to only the materials.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

powder coating for 60 bucks that is a good price...
are you sure that includes tire removal re balancing and soda blasting?? crap i paid 70 bucks just to swap out 2 tires no balancing....

if you go the plastidip route let us know how it turns out, i was going to just 2 stage epoxy paint them but for 6 bucks a can its worth a shot to plastidip.

or you could just use sunglasses 8-)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

The $60/rim would be the bill at the power coat shop only; meaning just the bead blast prep and actual coating. Breaking down and re-mounting the tires, stems, TPMS sensors, re-balance, etc. are in addition. So it will definitely reach closer to $100/wheel all told with the wheels back on the vehicle.

You're right, looking at different folks who used PlastiDip on their wheels (without even taking the wheels off their vehicle) shows a lot of different successes. I was still picturing a process that would be done with the bare rims, so leaving the wheels on the vehicle adds yet another layer of "easy to do in order to see if you even like it", or maybe even just simply "easy to do."

I'll have to ponder that. Definitely seems like an option that needs consideration, since I don't want anything intricate and just need "the wheel I already have, in straight black." Thanks for the insight.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Trench wrote:I'm finally getting the...(presumably for showing off your package).

-Trench
Non invasive, non-permanent. The ladies will love it. PlastiDip...for showing off your package. Wheel package that is.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Nice looking Mr. Foot.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed