Luna/Lucid/Vibe just crashed the server over 9 times!

If you want to report a player, this is the place to do so.
zanshin1

Re: Luna/Lucid/Vibe just crashed the server over 9 times!

Post by zanshin1 »

Well is he in the US?.....is he here in MI? I have friends that like to pull people like him over constantly to send a message....

Im sure you all have friends in other states that can make his life uncomfortable.

I know a higher up at DTE........she can have his power interrupted for maintenance?......lol...

Where is this Facker at?

Ill just go over myself and cut his cable line....at some point it hits public property.....
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Nuno wrote:So, Tona, not only can't we play, but now we can't even talk about the problem. That's rich. Don't you get that people need a way to keep themselves updated on what's going on? Where the hell else are we supposed to know how things stand? Since when is the in-game chat a better option?! Especially considering games don't last long these days. Is not knowing what's going on better?! I saw people yesterday, on the server, being surprised and clueless as to what was going on. If they don't use the forum they won't even know what's happening. And as for the rest of us, that do know what is going on, should we just try to log in to the server once a week until it stops crashing, disbanding as a community in the process? Also, by talking about it, discussing what's going on, not only can we all be up to date, but maybe, who knows, some sort of collective solution can be achieved.
And making over 20 posts, like crash has, has accomplished just what exactly?
Nuno wrote:As for people STILL defending Luna, and coming up with Solomonic solutions, I think that ship sailed the minute he started crashing the server. That's way more serious than any in-game hacking. But all of that is up to the server owner/admin to decide. I'm just happy and thankful this and a couple of other DC servers still exist. The game is OLD, there's a limited universe of interested players, and crap like this doesn't help one bit. Too bad one of us had to be a moron. Had it been a normal moron, with a life of his own, and this would've been over by now. Sadly it's not, so this could take a bit longer.
I don't know of anyone actually "defending" his actions. I certainly wouldn't defend him crashing the server.
I attempted to appeal to him by simply asking him to stop. He said it wasn't about me. But yet I feel the same effect of his actions as everyone else. I just don't come on here and say over and over and over..."He's crashing the server again!" duh
Nuno wrote:I think the bottom line is we should all stand by Trench until something can be done. We certainly owe him that much. And if it gets to the point where the way out of this mess is to hire someone to fix it, hell, we should all pitch in gladly.
At this time, I don't think Trench knows exactly what to do. Which is kind of the point of my post.
We all know what's going on. Eventually, it may stop...for a spell. And, perhaps it won't. I accept the things I have no control over. But if money is deemed necessary for a real resolution...I would donate too.
Nuno wrote:And Tona, I do get that you think that posting just encourages him to keep doing it, but should curling into a fetal position and sucking on a thumb be an option? I don't think so, that's not how you react to a bully. Unlike him we all have our lives, with plenty going on and, again, unlike him, we are together on this. We just have to endure.
The fact that he knows how we feel when we can't play, is the reason this is occurring as it is. He is sharing that with us.
So unless you can physically take care of what you refer to as a bully...words on a forum mean nothing.
And finally, you agree with me ..."we just have to endure."
~tona
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Tona if I had a solution I'd pm it to the admins. You don't forewarn the fox where the foxtraps are now do you? For some reason you do though. interesting. Since you're defending poor Luna and you're only concerned about his well being and not ours, maybe you could use your friendship with him and coax him out of his weird disruptive behavior?

"The fact that he knows how we feel when we can't play, is the reason this is occurring as it is."

Are you seriously blaming us for his actions? Is he at all responsible for his? You're encouraging him the most because you are enabling the bully. You're handing the school bully a baseball bat.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

CJ (Crash) wrote:Tona if I had a solution I'd pm it to the admins. You don't forewarn the fox where the foxtraps are now do you? For some reason you do though. interesting. Since you're defending poor Luna and you're only concerned about his well being and not ours, maybe you could use your friendship with him and coax him out of his weird disruptive behavior?
"Defending poor Luna?" Already drunk on a Monday evening?
I don't have a friendship with him. I asked him nicely to stop. He declined. End of story.
CJ (Crash) wrote:Are you seriously blaming us for his actions? Is he at all responsible for his? You're encouraging him the most because you are enabling the bully. You're handing the school bully a baseball bat.
You remind me quite a lot of someone else you may be familiar with...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvntfYBk-c
screaming_eagle
United States of America

Post by screaming_eagle »

what if the admins password protected the server? Maybe add a request to join the server through a twitter or fb group and build it from there in a protected format.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Kind of opened a beer for no good reason. I mean I understand there's always a reason but I wanted to play tonight.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

screaming_eagle wrote:what if the admins password protected the server? Maybe add a request to join the server through a twitter or fb group and build it from there in a protected format.
That is certainly one of the possibilities being considered, but definitely not our first choice of action. We have also heard from other admins that their servers are currently passworded because of similar attacks.

But there is no evidence (yet) that the BF1942 password connection challenge would happen at a point that prevents the current exploit from being exploited. Meaning, despite being an option, its not known whether enabling the server password and going through the trouble of private distribution would actually stop the crash from being exploitable. But if other options don't pan out, we may reach the point of knowing this answer.

We have to ask for everyone's continued patience until we're able to implement the best solution possible.

-Trench
Torque

Post by Torque »

Why don't we just take the server and push it someplace else
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

You admins have my support. I'd support the password idea.
Nuno
Portugal

Post by Nuno »

tonawandares wrote:And making over 20 posts, like crash has, has accomplished just what exactly?
C'mon Tona, at least we're talking instead of shooting each other... :D We do have to thank him for that.
tonawandares wrote:But if money is deemed necessary for a real resolution... I would donate too.
Fortunately I think most of us regulars feel the same way about that.
tonawandares wrote:The fact that he knows how we feel when we can't play, is the reason this is occurring as it is.
He knew that before the first crash. That's why they started, and that's why they continue. If he can't play well enough, he hacks, if he gets kicked off the team he takes the ball home. A grown up wouldn't act like that. Hopefully...
screaming_eagle wrote:what if the admins password protected the server? Maybe add a request to join the server through a twitter or fb group and build it from there in a protected format.
See, that sounds like a good idea. It should be possible to test it for a couple of days. There's probably a way to direct people without the pass to the forum, where a 'pass request' thread can be created. Then the admin could screen the users, maybe with the help from gametracker's stats. It sucks, it's cumbersome and not fool proof. You could add all approved users to a mailing list and warn them of a pass change immediately whenever the wrong person is added. Gotta remove him from the mailing list too, of course...
:31: And everyone should be warned not to share the pass, since they will all be getting updates.
Trench wrote:But there is no evidence (yet) that the BF1942 password connection challenge would happen at a point that prevents the current exploit from being exploited.
True, but maybe it warrants a test, to see if it does. Even if only as a temporary solution. I'm sure the crashes hurt the server's popularity more than a bothersome security measure.
Torque wrote:Why don't we just take the server and push it someplace else
Somewhere where he'll no longer be able to trip on the power cable.

:idea:
;)

Changing to a different server will not solve the problem if the problem resides in the BF server software itself. I'm no expert though, so I can't really say if it would help. Some servers are more secure than others, it's up to the hosting companies. I have zero experience with gaming servers.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

I think the password protection idea is great. It's gotta be less frustrating than the current situation.
sanchez
El Salvador

Post by sanchez »

CJ (Crash) wrote:I think the password protection idea is great. It's gotta be less frustrating than the current situation.
I don't think it is a good idea,because many people don even come to the forum, how would they know how to log in? it would just deter a lot of people from coming to play.
Nuno
Portugal

Post by Nuno »

There must be some way to warn them, like adding "go to URL for access" to the server name on the server list, or as a customized message on the password prompt instead. And it can be displayed as a message on the server itself a couple days before the change, so that more players know about it before it happens. Of course it's not a perfect solution (no one even knows if it'll works yet), but it will reinstate some sort of normalcy to the server.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Good point Sanchez. On the bright side it will create more traffic for this forum.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Nuno. I liked your post too. Warren G. Harding would be proud.
Nuno
Portugal

Post by Nuno »

Thanks man. I'm just glad you didn't pick the current 'president' for the compliment. :18:
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Nuno,
Nuno wrote:He knew that before the first crash. That's why they started, and that's why they continue. If he can't play well enough, he hacks, if he gets kicked off the team he takes the ball home. A grown up wouldn't act like that. Hopefully...
I believe that the accusation of hacking is a separate issue. To date, I've never seen any Admin confirm hacking has occurred. In fact, the basis for the ban was classified as "Disruptive" in the sense that Luna's superior play does not make for an enjoyable experience for the regular players on the server.
But you are correct. After the accusations and subsequent kick...crash...burn.... :cry:
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

so is this Luna faggit flea or no? anyone ever talk to him?.......is he a kid? again does he live in the states?

lets track this fucker down and give it back to him......10 fold!.....Ill fry everyone of his comps! yee haw!

Bleed his bank account dry so he has to get a job!

etc
etc
screaming_eagle
United States of America

Post by screaming_eagle »

Violence and retaliation never solves anything. Isolation of the threat and keeping him (or them) from disrupting the folks that enjoy the server will be enough. Let the admins focus on the solution. They got this.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

zanshin1 wrote:so is this Luna faggit flea or no? anyone ever talk to him?.......is he a kid? again does he live in the states?

lets track this fucker down and give it back to him......10 fold!.....Ill fry everyone of his comps! yee haw!

Bleed his bank account dry so he has to get a job!

etc
etc
Zan, can I ask you something? First a comment: Out of all the helo pilots I've come across you, by far, are the most innovative. You were (and still are) the one who is apt to do the unexpected. Exit a flying helo, try to rpg a helo and enter back in. I've always admired your approach to the game. You always pushed to do something different from everyone else. And, you're a damn fine helo pilot and I've always admired you for that.
Now the question: How did you get to that level of game play as a helo pilot? Your hydras are deadly. Your angles are precise and your long shot is scary as you watch it coming in.
How in the world did you get that good man?

~tona
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Nuno wrote:Thanks man. I'm just glad you didn't pick the current 'president' for the compliment. :18:
I'm just amazed my brain is intact enough to remember the "return to normalcy" thing from my memory of high school study of politics. ;)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

tonawandares wrote:To date, I've never seen any Admin confirm hacking has occurred. In fact, the basis for the ban was classified as "Disruptive" in the sense that Luna's superior play does not make for an enjoyable experience for the regular players on the server.
That is correct, with the addition that he was given multiple opportunities to tone down the game play and continue playing here without issue. To which he initially agreed, but then decided not to, and so the ban was implemented.

Of course he's justified the permanent ban many times over since then, both from the crashing of the server and the circumvention of existing bans.

Yeah, just to be clear, no one is going to doxx anyone here, and no one is going to advocate any actual retaliation or violence against a named person here. We're not the ones acting like petulant children in this situation. We need to solve this server vulnerability not just because of Luna, but because anyone else can make use of it too.

And we're going to try and do it with as minimal long-term impact to the EA117 community as possible, within the limitations of the fact that we're dealing with 15-year-old game server code. We'll get there, but it is going to take a bit more time. In the long run, the 10+ days we'll have been disrupted won't be important. Same as the last time they did exactly this same kind of attack.

So we appreciate everyone's continued patience.

-Trench
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Well said Trench i think most appreciate your work more than ever and I think that our decision to ban and his actions that followed is proof positive to others that we did what was right and Cheese thinks your sexy to boot.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Thanks Trench.

I am guessing Luna is using a vpn to mask his location. Along with constantly changing his username when he arrives shortly before crashing the server, he isn't fooling anyone.
fromage

Post by fromage »

ryeontherocks wrote:Well said Trench i think most appreciate your work more than ever and I think that our decision to ban and his actions that followed is proof positive to others that we did what was right and Cheese thinks your sexy to boot.
Exactly, Rye. Oh, and I sent Trench an oil painting of you to get him all hot & bothered.