Crashing on Ish  [SOLVED]

Need help?
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Crashing on Ish

Post by HairyRussianDude »

I recently started having a problem with my game crashing when Ish starts. It is usually a "bf1942 stopped working" but once in awhile I get booted back to the menu with a "cd key in use" message.
I have made no change to my game and it is only Ish that causes this.
Any ideas?
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Re: Crashing on Ish

Post by Mali Mrav »

i have this problem long time
and only thing that helped me is to download new inshalah map and replace it with new
hope i help
Silent Assassin
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Crashing on Ish  [SOLVED]

Post by Trench »

This old game certainly has its share of long-standing memory issues which will never be resolved, and can exhibit in some weird ways. Meaning its at least possible that even though it's "only Inshallah", the issue could be occurring just due to how memory is being used on the BF1942.EXE process in your particular machine.

But the more likely cause for "only Inshallah" and "started suddenly without any changes" would be that something has become corrupt about the Inshallah map files on this machine. Maybe a file system burp during a previous crash or shutdown, or maybe just an underlying disk surface / memory cell going flaky, etc.

If you happen to know how to generate SHA1 or MD5 checksums for files on Windows, I'd be happy to compare the checksum of yours against other clean Battlefield & DC installations. Just remember to checksum all occurrences of "*Inshallah*" anywhere under the ".\Battlefield 1942\mods\" directory structure, since the way the Battlefield 1942 maps work is that the maps in one mod can modify / be based on the maps from the base mod.

If it doesn't already make sense how to generate those checksums, its really just as easy to go ahead and re-install the game. Rather than sitting here writing a couple pages about how to single out and verify just a couple files, re-installing the game only takes a few minutes anyway. And will re-write not only the Inshallah maps but also anything else we're not yet suspecting as corrupted in the game.

-Trench
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Not the answer I was hoping for but oh well. Fresh install it is.
Thanks guys!
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

For anyone who stumbles on this thread...

I tried downloading a fresh ish map. No dice.
Went with the fresh dc install which was painless. Life is good now!
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

What does "ish" mean?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

CJ (Crash) wrote:What does "ish" mean?
Inshallah Valley. i.e. The game would crash when a specific map came up.

-Trench
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Oh right. I think I had that a while ago, then I couldnt remember how I fixed it. It might have been the gamespy fix, but I cant be certain.