Auto PTK and CTF

If you want to report a player, this is the place to do so.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Auto PTK and CTF

Post by CJ (Crash) »

I was wondering if it was possible to change the auto ptk mode from on to off? At the moment, if someone gets Team killed accidentally the team killer has a brief time out between spawns. This is automatic. Given the number of people that get frustrated with others forgetting (on purpose sometimes) to FTK them, and since we mostly play CTF where timing is crucial, I thought it might be a good idea to switch it to off? Less frustration = less people leaving and not coming back?

Thoughts anyone?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Auto PTK and CTF

Post by Trench »

Certainly the topic has come up before, probably more times than I've even been present for.

To me personally it makes sense that "the behavior to be avoided is punished by default", and haven't had any problem FTKing those instances where I feel it wasn't intentional. Having "an incentive to not TK", even for situations where its not going to be "intentional", overall just doesn't seem like a bad direction for the default to skew.

Yes, when playing CTF, if they don't FTK and then also complain about how no one is defending the CTF flag, you can say "Well it's your own damn fault." Maybe a team that can't avoid TKing and also can't take the time to FTK just isn't paying enough attention to win. No one is saying it's intentional; but you've gotta avoid one, or do the other.

I did recently talk to Tuia at Team-SiMPLE about how some servers apparently had supported "!ftk" being issued in chat; or at least there are multiple references to players who expected this based on how "some other server" had behaved. We concluded it doesn't seem like something BFServerManager could have done, because the "!commands" are all executed server-side, but "game.TKForgive" is something that has to be issued in the context of a specific client and connection. i.e. Would have to be a client-side invocation, which is not where BFServerManager is running. Being able to issue "!ftk" in chat would help make it easier to do, but there doesn't seem to be a way to achieve that currently.

-Trench
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

okay fair enough.
Nuno
Portugal

Post by Nuno »

Trench makes a good point. The only issue is that sometimes you die right after (or at the same time as) the dude you just TKed and there's no time for him to enter the console command, even if he meant to, since your spawn countdown starts immediately at 20 something seconds.

But if you consider that a standard TK is accidental (as it should be), it makes sense not to PTK by default, while still having a chance to do it manually, in case it was done on purpose. It makes sense that the default option be the one suited for the most cases. The PTK command being there for the exceptions.

Personally I only TK by accident, and I'd say that most of the time that's how I get TKed too, so to me no auto PTK makes sense. But since no one plays alone, you have to consider the whole group.

Still, it IS something supposedly easy to set, which makes it easy to do a try out for a couple of days if Trench ever wants to figure out how it would play out, what people would think and all that, with the current crowd.

Having said that, I don't get it why people don't FTK. I always do because it helps the team. I don't want my team to lose a base or get its flag captured. It sucks when you die and a long re-spawn causes your team to lose one or the other, while you just watch what you could've prevented from above, just because someone that doesn't even care about team play couldn't bother.