Mod Requests

CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Re: Mod Requests

Post by CJ (Crash) »

I say leave the glass bottom humvee thing on Basrah Edge CTF. It adds an element of comedy when people drive off with the flag out of the US base and die lol.
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

and tona while u there adding weapons to walls
on al nas berlin bashra on red cars add heal and ammo when ur on ther back
would change game alot

and on al nas
maybe open that island behind blue main so blue can have more cover
it would help blue
Silent Assassin
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Tell them about Caen.
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

tona i think u said u have a idea for caen
so want to hear ur idea first before i represent my own :P
Silent Assassin
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Mali Mrav wrote:tona i think u said u have a idea for caen
so want to hear ur idea first before i represent my own :P

It must have been another map. Liberation of Caen and Coastal Hammer were one of the first maps brought up to me about modding and oddly enough, I haven't touched them yet.
I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions. Fire away!

~tona
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

tona im on ts now so if u want me to show u caen i can
so just hoop on and we will talk
Silent Assassin
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

I do recall one map idea -- but not really any consensus or agreement on what the best change should be -- was for trying to better balance Market Garden conquest mode.

My own thought was "simply remove the Harrier from Allied, and leave everything else as-is." So Allied just has one Apache with its current slow respawn, Axis has one Hind with its current slow respawn, and the map is otherwise predominantly a tank and infantry battle.

I like maps with planes, but Market Garden just doesn't seem big enough to say "let's add a SU-25 to Axis to balance this out." Although the terrain of the map is large, the actual engageable play area is comparatively small. Having something as fast as a plane inevitably leads to the plane being over the other team's main & attacking that main. I just haven't seen it not happen with the Harrier, and so default to thinking "let's just have no planes" rather than "let's add matching planes."

I suppose an alternative would be add matching planes but also create an aggressive death bubble that starts well before you're actually into the mains. So that even a plane moving fast wouldn't survive more than a single intrusion into the enemy main airspace, and any slow-moving encroachment would be certain death. But I don't know that we want to prevent folks from running over and stealing something, so I still would vote for "no planes" over this.
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

Neo tona need help with bunkers
maybe u know that problem
play tonight and he will tell u what is the problem
Silent Assassin
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

I am talking about Caen, because there is a server that is playing CTF just in the city. One base is the river base (that has the 1942 style artillery) and the other is the town flag, where the flag is in the little park. On one of the building is an iraqi helo that cannot fire. EAch side has one APC (ie Bradley and BMP). Its an excellent small infantry CTF map.
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

Good thinking re: Caen. Mali: can you ask the BFGame folks for a copy of their Caen CTF mod to send to Crash? This way no one has to spend time reinventing the wheel. I recommend starting with that and then removing all of the needless out-of-bounds nonsense.

Caen CQ: can we remove the automatic blue parachute spawn? Makes it too easy for blue IMO.

Thanks eveyone for your hard work on all this!
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

All,

One new map release to talk about and an update on Lost Village CTF.

I've released El Alamein Day 2 "Apache Wars". This is a Conquest Map.
I know that some of you aren't into helo maps, but honestly, we needed one here. Discussing this with Trench, this will more than likely be an "upon request" map and not necessarily in the rotation.

Of course, I made sure that there were options for the non-helo pilots out there.
I think if you give it a try, you will find it to be a fun map to play.
Since there are several of us regulars who are helo pilots and I see many who are getting much better, I think a map like this is necessary to help improve skill level in the helos.

I modded this map in honor of my longtime friend and fellow Apache pilot Rye on the Rocks.
I affectionately named the map Rye's Apache Wars or RAW.
Check it out the next time it's run and let me know what you think.

Here is the update on Lost Village CTF.
You know we had issues with folks nabbing the flags and flying into the never-sphere pretty much disrupting gameplay and making it not so much fun for the rest.

I took them out to work on the resolution. I only made a few minor changes to the original map, one being the addition of car bombs.
If you hadn't noticed, the BRDM2 that served as health for Red Main is gone now. When you walk into the little stone building that the BRDM2 was up against and turn left and left again, there on the left side of the fireplace exists a medic locker. You can't see it, but it is there. And since the ammo box is right outside that door, you can heal and reload at the same time.

Recently, I added the UH-60 with mini-guns and was going to call it a day, but I figured out how to discourage players from taking the helos and running away with them.
The UH-60's are gone and SA-342S are back. I also shortened the spawn time on the helos.
We came full circle on this one but we now have basically the same map with healing at Red main, a couple of car bombs and a self-policing modification for the helos.
I hope you enjoy it.

As always, post your suggestions and ideas here. I check several times per day.

btw, the harrier and the SA-342MG helo are gone from Market Garden.
Nothing else was changed.

thanks,

~tona
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

I liked the BH gunner situation. I played that recently and a few of us had fun flying around mowing down the odd player. It isn't over powered since grails are in use. I think I prefer it put back. It forces you to use teamwork.

If someone just steals the flag to waste time, one good thing about having the BH instead is that they're slower and bigger, so easier to shoot down with grails or rpgs.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

CJ (Crash) wrote:I liked the BH gunner situation. I played that recently and a few of us had fun flying around mowing down the odd player. It isn't over powered since grails are in use. I think I prefer it put back. It forces you to use teamwork.

If someone just steals the flag to waste time, one good thing about having the BH instead is that they're slower and bigger, so easier to shoot down with grails or rpgs.
That idea was actually Rye's as an alternative to the little bird issue. My task was to develop a resolution to players going into the neversphere with the SA-342S.
My modification distinctly discourages "just flying around wasting time." The pilot and crew will be vulnerable.
So I think it will come down to what kind of gameplay we want. In this case, do we want the BlackHawks with mini-guns or just the transport little birds.

Ultimately, I don't feel that I decide what works best, or what is the most fun or is good for the server.
The Players that come here do.
I will make any change that becomes the over-riding desire of all of you.
I volunteered to mod maps as a way to give back to this server for the many years of fun that it has provided for me personally.
Thanks for the input Crash, as always, and we will see what is at the end of the day.

~tonq
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Whats the advantage with the SA-342S vs the BH? Does the BH fly really high up while the SA-342S cannot?
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

CJ (Crash) wrote:Whats the advantage with the SA-342S vs the BH? Does the BH fly really high up while the SA-342S cannot?
First, the SA-342S was already a component of the map when I first opened it. I saw no reason to change that. As I said, my task was to find a way to resolve the existing issue of run-a-way helos, not to exchange them.

Secondly, the SA-342S is faster, smaller and more maneuverable than the Black Hawk, which fits well in a tight CTF map like Lost Village. Quick in and out.

And of course, the deciding factor is, "What type of gameplay do you want?" What "fits" is what you desire to have.

Thanks,

~tona
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

A good solution might be just making two maps? One for each type of helo and let everyone decide in game by map voting. And perhaps name them

Lost Vill CTF BH

Lost Vill CTF SA

(instead of naming one "day 2" which doesn't really help anyone understand the difference).
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Agreed that would be a good solution as one way to "see what's actually preferred." But that kind of approach doesn't fit within the server-side modding limitations. We can modify the aspects of the existing maps that the clients already depended on the server to communicate to them anyway.

Creating a new map with a different name means people would have to download those maps. Leveraging the already-existing "Day 2"-type variations of existing maps as a way to present more than one version of the map allows it to be done successfully as a server-side-only mod.

Having the Blackhawk as the CTF helo did create the same fun as when we use the Blackhawk on the Conquest version of the map (raining minigun fire down on defenders and campers), in addition to being "usually too slow to get away" as a flag stealing vehicle.

But people had fun swooping the CTF flag with the faster SAG helos, too. Returning back to "now there are carbombs + ceiling for the SAG helos" lets us see where we're at with what was originally intended for the changes to this map, which was "prevent flag carriers from waiting at 30000 feet."

-Trench
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

mod black hawk map on dc and with gal
zele with dcf
Silent Assassin
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Mali Mrav wrote:mod black hawk map on dc and with galzele with dcf
Agreed, that would get us there, although you're trading off more than just the Gazelle at that point. (DC shotguns versus Final shotguns; the fact the terrain elevation and lighting were extensively tweaked in Final versus DC versions of Lost Village, etc.)

I was trying to think of a way that the Bocage approach to spawning Hinds versus Apaches could be used beneficially here. e.g. Enable one type of vehicle spawn versus the other, depending on which team holds the flag closest to each main. Such that if you want a particular type of helo versus another, you have to fight to hold the nearest flag or be willing to let the other team hold it. Not sure that necessarily "makes sense" strategically, but its an additional idea that maybe could be applied in a different way that makes more sense.

But for now, getting back to the SAGs that were originally there is going to do just fine. -Trench
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Ok how about give U.S. one BH and Iraqi's a faster spawning SA?

Or give both non firing helos (SA's) and put a BH at the secret heli pad where the 50 cal spawns?
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Ok...after a nice break from modding, I am once again working on our maps.
First up is dc_weapon bunkers CTF.

I've started and stopped this mod several times and have now committed myself to completing it.
I have most of the groundwork done.
I've made inquiries into a few trouble spots and hope to have answers soon.
I promised that I would do this one, so I will keep that promise.

stay tuned,

~ tona
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Thats a great map. We had fun playing that a couple of nights ago.

Only suggestions I can think of is

1. Make the bunkers in CTF not able to be destroyed. Christina often blows them up just to end the map on purpose. Im not sure thats possible. If you cant do it through coding, I know how to edit the map to put an obstacle at the entrance (just on the ctf version, not the Conquest objective version), like one of those big grey crates. You cant c4 it from the outside (I think so anyway).

2. Put a couple of technicals inside the Iraqi base. One with a 50 cal one with out.

3. This map would be wonderful with a car horn small car!
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

The bunker issue has already been addressed.

Thanks,

~ tona
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Post by CJ (Crash) »

Good. Any thoughts on 1 and 2?
fromage

Post by fromage »

tonawandares wrote:The bunker issue has already been addressed.

Thanks,

~ tona
Are you referring to the CTF version where red bunkers are destroyed, leaving no spawn points? If that was fixed and red had a new spawn point on bunkers CTF, that would be sweet.

Thanks for the help modding those.