Low Hanging Fruit Mods

jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Low Hanging Fruit Mods

Post by jolly_giada »

I’m not a modder myself but I’m curious if we can make a short list of “easy” changes to maps that can be encapsulated as server side mods and make marked improvements to those maps. Here’s a short brainstorm; feel free to weigh in (esp our mod czar, Tona):

(1) Caen CQ. Remove the blue parachute spawn if south river is only grey. The map is heavily biased toward blue since at the very outset they can jump into the town. This is not the case in the BF1942 mod.

(2) Urban CTF and Omaha CTF: reverse blue/red flags so they sit on top of the correct spawn points.

(3) Coastal CTF: move the red flag closer (or inside of) the town.

(4) Edge CTF: Special Ladas have been floated as an idea to spice it up (Though I think this is a top 5 infantry map as it is without change)

Just some thoughts.
CJ (Crash)
Singapore

Re: Low Hanging Fruit Mods

Post by CJ (Crash) »

You'll have to upload those maps (.rfa files) somewhere, so I or someone else can edit them.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

I would be hard-pressed to say what should be changed to make any further improvement in Liberation of Caen.

It seems very difficult for me to consider the map "heavily skewed towards Allied" because of the single infantry parachute point available unless Axis holds South River. I would have characterized that parachute spawn as "the minimum, and not always enough" to keep it from being a "Coastal Hammer"-type stalemate.

Caen is a map where Axis easily blocks Allied from crossing the water at multiple points, until Axis finally gets bored or sloppy, or Allied gets incredibly lucky. Since there is only one point for armor to cross, and nothing but rubber dingys and swimmers in the water.

A single BMP2 or T72 negates the parachute spawn, usually before the soldiers ever even hit the ground.
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

Trench, I agree with your causal reasoning. I guess I came to this conclusion from a more empirical perspective that it seems (perhaps we can find some data to back it up quantitatively?) that blue seems to win statistically significantly much more than 50% of the time. I think also that, in the first crucial couple of minutes of a map like that, there are sufficient red AFKs that a T72/BMP cannot be scrambled in time to thwart a blue parachute from penetrating into the Caen town proper. Indeed, it would be more Coastal Hammer CQ-like if the grey point parachute were removed, but I think this would give red a more reasonable shot at winning. There's also almost certainly an unavoidable subjective element here. I suppose I prefer the BF1942 setup over the DCF setup (same as for Iwo Jima CQ), but that's also just my opinion.

Regardless, Tona/others, are these suggested mods at least technically feasible via server-side mod? (even if not gameplay optimal necessarily)
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

I'm sorry, I've been so in/out of late.
Let me look this over and get back to you.

~ tona
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

jolly_mario_batali wrote:I think also that, in the first crucial couple of minutes of a map like that, there are sufficient red AFKs that a T72/BMP cannot be scrambled in time to thwart a blue parachute from penetrating into the Caen town proper.
For what it's worth, the BMP that shoots me on the initial parachute spawn is the BMP that spawns right there at Pegasus Bridge (the flag just north of the bridge). He doesn't even have to move in order to see and kill the parachutes coming down.

-Trench
fromage

Post by fromage »

Mario. YOU'RE A LOW HANGING FRUIT.

/fin

:D
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

STRAIGHT to the dark side as usual hey cheese;-)

I think the file for omaha should be lost in the fire...hehe i think that was an experiment but ultimately its not a great ctf map with or without reversing and should be taken as a solo conquest map only

I think coastal ctf could be used as a great fight map only where buildings are and darken the rest

caen should be reworked completely as its a terrible mod...it looks like they just stopped working on it before finished

as for edge and ladas dont knock my ladas more ladas the better ladas lada ladas....