Map vote percentage

BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Map vote percentage

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Hey all,
I've noticed recently that even when 80% of the server agrees on a mapvote, just 2-3 people can prevent from changing to a new map when an unpopular map enters the rotation. Can we discuss lowering the % needed for a successful mapvote?
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: Map vote percentage

Post by HairyRussianDude »

I believe your signature is the initial reason for the increase. There was a bad rash of back to back to back map votes a little while back, with Nas being voted back in constantly when a new map would come on.
I'm personally ok with the higher percentage and not going back to the dark days. Variety is good!
Admin presence is good and Nas gets its nightly time slot whether it be by vote or a manual run.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Yes, I believe map vote is currently at 75%. So if there are four people on the server, three of them would have to agree that they don't want to be playing the current map.

Having the percentage closer to 50% was "too close to the same number of people who just voted NO for getting to the current map." So the lower percentage wasn't just "likely that we can get to the map we want", but ended up also being "likely for us to leave the map we just voted to." Not only creating vote fatigue, but in many cases preventing us from ever finishing a map.

Rather than turning off map vote as the way to mitigate this, we've been pleased to see the map votes succeed at 75% now because -- even though still not "everyone" -- but at least a real majority really want to leave the current map and go to the one being voted. Without there being almost exactly the same amount of people who didn't vote for that, and now start voting to go somewhere else when the vote succeeds.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Thanks for the info Trench. Guess I'll have to pay closer attention to the numbers. Maybe it seems like more is required because of people just joining the server or something?
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Yes. ALSO can we take nas out of the rotation. Wayyyyyyyyy over played and voted for..

Blink would agree.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Trench nailed it. A 50% vote means half of the players wanted a map, but also half did not. I feel there is less irritation when 75% does indeed want to interrupt the game to switch to a particular map.

I wouldn't go that far Bang. We play the hell out of it, but it is versatile when it comes to population to make it work and it does bring people in.
Strategic use is the better option for Nas in my opinion. Play whatever early on, build pop, run Nas, chances are pop is now maxed for the night, run a large map before the pop drops.
I'm content with the once per night we have had going on.

On a side note, I am open to trying your "Blink's Shitshow Nas" mod.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Lmao I was being sarcastic.

Nas is a good map. I mean the most people show up when we play it. There’s a reason why... right?

But I think it was more fun a few months ago when we had about 40 players after taking the whitelist down. We played Gazala 17v17 or something. Was insane, we had the whole server popping! It’s just nice to see “new” maps and all that.

I’ll do my best to get more people into the server. I average 2-3 new names a week that show up in the discord. Have seen 25 new names on the server so far so that’s good👍🏻