Backup servers for when EA117 crashes in these trying times

BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Backup servers for when EA117 crashes in these trying times

Post by BlinkofanEye »

LOL..so thanks to the admin team for working on the latest challenge to our nightly gaming. And thanks for making it a live podcast on Teamspeak, wink wink.

To anyone who doesn't know, EA117 and a number of other DC/BF servers (Moon, some others, I forgot) have been getting DDOS attacks nightly. Nobody knows who, but Trench is working out a way to see if he can protect the server. Basically what happens is that once the server starts loading up at 8:30/9PM CST, every 15-30 minutes it gets crashed by an anonymous d-bag.

What's been happening, at least when I've been around, is that we scatter into different servers. Some people go to the still live vanilla BF servers. Bang has been hosting people on his own machine, and we've also been joining another DC server called [CG]Buster's Playground. Unfortunately, this usually means, from our hoppin' full server of 15-20 players, about 3-6 players go all in different directions. Last night we had 2 players go to -AX's- BF server, a few go to Bangs, and a few go to Buster's.

It would be cool if we could coordinate a way to all migrate together, if people are into that. Those of us who are on Teamspeak try to do this, but that's usually only a half dozen people or so. I figured I'd make this post to at least give everyone the latest and greatest of what we've been trying. Also keep in mind that, at least at some points, it's possible to get a good 1.5-2 hours play out of EA117, though usually not at peak times. The attacks seemed to either be schedule for our peak times, or actually "detecting" how many players are in server and only crashing it when it gets on the fuller side. Nonetheless, here's the alternate IP's we've been using.

Bang's server: (This is hosted off his own machine, so not dedicated. You could just try it though once EA crashes.):
65.29.239.5 (standard port: 14567)

[CG]Buster's Playground: (NOTE: You MUST turn Punkbuster off in your server menu to be able to find Buster's. Also note that you MUST turn it BACK ON if you want to go play EA117 or some other PB server, or it'll kick you before you can join.)
98.223.161.251 (standard port) Buster's is located in the USA and I get a similar ping to it as EA117, for whatever that's worth.

There are of course other options for DC and non-DC servers, like [TMP]No Rulez, etc. It seems like Buster's has a good menu of maps though and mapvote permanently on, which is nice.

At TMP we have a WhatsApp group to coordinate playing times. That (or Discord) could be an idea of how we organize to all go play together, as the chat on this site seems rather limited. I won't be on tonight but good luck.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Backup servers for when EA117 crashes in these trying times

Post by Trench »

Thanks for trying to herd all the grasshoppers in a particular direction. Since some folks actually like Vanilla BF1942, I don't expect we'll necessarily keep everyone when their preferred server isn't available. But making a plan for those who do want to play DC is good.

Note I didn't have to turn off Punkbuster in order to see the [CG] Buster's Playground server when we played Sunday; I even connected with Punkbuster still enabled. What _does_ sound correct is that you need to be sure not to _filter_ your Multiplayer server list on "servers running Punkbuster". THAT for sure needs to be off in order to see the server.

Stay tuned as well, since as part of setting up for having the server protected, we likely would soon have an alternate EA117 server instance running under protection, which we could play on and make publicly known in order to test whether & how well it absorbs any attempted attack.

-Trench
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Yeah I meant turn off the filter, not turn off PB. Good catch. I don't even know how to turn off PB.

I like the way "absorb any attempted attack" sounds. Could we call the protected server Battleserver Trenchlactica? Or is that too suggestive of you lactating?
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Otto Kontrol
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Otto Kontrol »

Good Idea and all Blink, but we need to make sure if we move we stay. Last night, I went to Busters with you and one other and after 1 minute you both left me on an empty server. I will go pretty much to any server but don't want to be going back and forth.

AND IN NO WAY EVER WILL I GO TO EITHER HHD SERVER. One of the good things about EA's server is that there's no running political messaging (not to mention no Nick Fury here either lol)
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Sorry to abandon you Otto. I'm guessing that was when Hairy and I switched back to EA? Yeah it was pretty crazy last night. Will try to leave better breadcrumbs in future.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

BlinkofanEye wrote: August 25th, 2020, 1:03 pm I don't even know how to turn off PB.
"Punkbuster enable" checkbox down at the very bottom of the same Multiplayer server list screen. (Not near the filters checkboxes.)

BlinkofanEye wrote: August 25th, 2020, 1:03 pm Or is that too suggestive of you lactating?
I think it's exactly the right amount of suggestion that I'm lactating.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Good post Blink. I'm going to default to Busters since it does not rely on Bang's laptop not dying mid game lol.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Hey now, it worked FINE the night before ...

Laptop was full charge, freaking dies in 20 minutes and y’all bailed within 30 seconds... lol then I plugged it in ... server was still there 1:46 seconds later on the game clock and y’all bailed lol.

We played until 1:30 am the night before. It works, was just a fail on my end, and laptops battery’s misleading “ you have 7 hours of charge” bs lmao
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Okay, let's go ahead an put one more server in our fall-back list: dc-ohio.ea117.com
    BangBangOw<CP*SF>
    United States of America

Okay, that sounds like a good option. Good job getting a duplicate of the EA117 server made in Ohio.
    HairyRussianDude
    Retired Admin
    Retired Admin
    Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Once again thank you to Papa Trench for taking care of us.

Bang, the effort truly is appreciated, but I think we should stick with a more reliable source. Testing this new server is a priority at the moment as well.
    BlinkofanEye
    United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

We getting tactical now.

While you guys are regrouping I’ll come around the back and give the hacker some of my famous Blink’s flank steak....
    Vote for map al_nas?
    Yes (7)
    Yes (8)
    BangBangOw<CP*SF>
    United States of America

I tried hairy, lol.

Remeber the 5v5 thing I put together than it all got screwed last minute... lmao

My luck sometimes is pure greatness.
    BlinkofanEye
    United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Tonight was more glorious than my wedding night
    Vote for map al_nas?
    Yes (7)
    Yes (8)
    Trench
    Admin
    Admin
    United States of America

Post by Trench »

Hey everyone, thanks to all of you who updated and started hitting the new server. Unfortunately, as you're probably already aware, that new server came under attack as well, and disconnects from the game server were still happening.

Once again, as of today (August 30, 2020), there is a new EA117 server IP address to use.

You must update your in-game Multiplayer server list and use the new EA117 server IP address,

even if you had already updated to the earlier new server address.

If you are still hitting either of the old server addresses, you are still going to be able to connect to the game successfully. But if those previous server addresses continue to be attacked, you'll continue to get disconnected from the game, even if others are still playing successfully on the new server. So be sure and update to the current EA117 server address, before assuming that anyone except yourself is getting disconnected from the server by an attack.

We're going to have to send [CG] Buster's Playground a muffin basket as thank you for letting us play there so much recently.
    Trench
    Admin
    Admin
    United States of America

Post by Trench »

Posting here so that folks without a forum account can see it too:

We had a good night of playing last night, with several rounds while 12 to 13 players were on the server.

Be sure to update your in-game Multiplayer server list,
    or otherwise update the method you're using to join the server,
    so that you are connecting to the current 51.81.48.241 server address.

Continuing to use the previous Texas 47.x.x.x or Ohio 3.x.x.x addresses gives you a worse ping, and will stop working in the future.