Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Who Gets The First Shot?

Post by Trench »

Reading WIRED 28.12 "Who Gets The First Shot" section, they have an article that talks about how physicists (yes, physicists) had been trying to figure out the "how do you find the most connected nodes in world-wide network of uncontrolled connections."

Since although "inoculate the front-line" or "inoculate the at-risk elderly" sounds right and "feels good", it's not what actually helps control spread most effectively. If you target the actual super-spreaders — the "most connected nodes" — you could bring spread within the network to and end after inoculating less than 20% of those involved.

But having access to or building a map of the interactions of every person in the world is impossible, except for maybe Facebook. Instead, what was found to statistically be a very close second was a fairly simple test: Ask a person to name an acquaintance, and then inoculate the acquaintance, and move on.

Because for better or worse, the people you'll think to name when asked to name a single acquaintance will tend to have more acquaintances than you do. That same person will tend to come up as the answer for more people — even after the person was already inoculated because you named them — because they are "the more connected node."

And those are the ones who, in the end, benefit the world-wide network the most by preventing them from being able to spread.

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-vaccine-super-spreaders/
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: Who Gets The First Shot?

Post by HairyRussianDude »

"FBI Cyber Crimes, please keep tabs on Trench."

TAG! You're it! I've done my part.
Otto Kontrol
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Otto Kontrol »

I actually checked with my doctor about getting in the 'front' of the line. Being in a wheelchair, gravity causes all that stuff that comes out of peoples mouths to fall on me. Not to mention if someone is sick, its hard to quickly get out of the way. I am also 60 yrs old and in fair health.

oTTo
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Otto,
I don't know how things are working in the US, but people in your position along with frontline workers are getting first dibs here. I won't get my shot for months.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

They don't have enough razors to shave Hairy Russians ass. :o

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Sarge 1/68th Armor wrote: December 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm They don't have enough razors to shave Hairy Russians ass. :o
We have chainsaws and weedwhackers up here bud!
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Who’s gonna get the vaccine? Just want to know what y’all think about it. I’m not going too, but I’m 19 and In really good shape, but most of y’all are way older... so you guys view it differently I’m sure.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

I'd absolutely do it if I was asked to, and somehow "deemed to be who needs to get it in order to help." But my job and where I live lets me do pretty well at the distancing and all the basic precautions we've had since day one. So I have to assume that dose is better off being available to someone who has fewer choices not to come into contact with a lot of people, or who lives in a more congested environment or family situation, etc.

Maybe by the end of 2021, after everyone who needs one and is willing to take one has gotten what they need.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

I am able to keep fairly insulated from the world.
My wife is a pre-school teacher and has always been exposed to those nasty little 3-4-year-olds, but they are not prone to spread COVID.
Their safety protocol extremely limits the exposure to outside sources as parents drop-off and pick-up at the door and are not allowed into the building. She does all of the shopping during the early senior hours.
The most I have to do is get gas and even that is so limited. I work remotely and she works about 4 miles away.
I am older and manage my diabetes, but otherwise in good health.
I get the "super-dose" flu and pneumonia shots. These start at 65 years old.

So, whenever the vaccine becomes available to me, it will and I'm not too concerned.
Of course, Great Britain just created a level 4 protocol due to the identification of a new strain of COVID that carries the endearing characteristic of spreading "more easily" than its novel predecessor.

~ tona
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I heard something about this is the first mRNA vaccine and it remains to be seen how that affects humans. I don’t have any skin in the game of the ever dramatic “is Covid really bad or a hoax,” I just wanna know if this is some rush job band aid and if I’d be better waiting for the more traditional vaccine coming down the line in a year or so. I barely leave my cabin anyways.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Yeah screw the mRNA vaccine. That in itself is just asking for trouble, not to mention that this so called "awful" disease has a 99% + survival rate.

In San Diego County, where I was born they have reported a total (to today, might change) 51 total cases of flu. The yearly total is around 25k-30k cases every year... but this year they have 51 cases? What type of BS is that, does COVID-19 just magically scare away the flu? (https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/hhsa/pro ... aWatch.pdf)

They count the Flu as Covid-19, the numbers are made up in a lot of cases, not to mention the testing is bogus. I've taken 10 PCR spit tests, one time it came back with 3 responses (1 negative 1 positive 1 error), the health care workers don't even know how to test properly, and have complained about the testing process every time I talk to them.

It's about time society wakes up and realizes that its a bad strain of flu, but that we do not need to have bogus restrictions to help "prevent" the spread. Democrat politician's preach about these so called guidelines, then go out in masses supporting BLM, the Biden Victory Parades, right to choose marches etc...

Also get this one, you can eat in a restaurant without your mask on... but they ask you to leave if you walk in the front doors without a mask on.. apparently Covid doesn't spread when you sit down and eat...

Absolute Joke, it's a bad flu with inflated numbers to make the non swamp politician Trump look bad, so the Democrats and Rino's in DC can deploy their globalist agenda. Funny how USA and the UK are two of the most Non Globalist supporting countries get affected the most by a China Virus..

Just wait till Biden gets in there and how China just uses him to their advantage, bunch of idiots that support this kind of stuff.

SHEEP ..... MAaAaA
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

That post reminds me of my third-year high school girlfriend. She too was a big hot mess.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Heh
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I read third grade girlfriend at first and I was like...”hot mess”????

But then I read it again and it was less interesting
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I am really glad I live in one of the least globalist supporting countries though...

:33:
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

BlinkofanEye wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 7:51 pm I read third grade girlfriend at first...
Third grade girlfriend was fine. Shout out to Crushia Rucker.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Trench wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 6:06 pm That post reminds me of my third-year high school girlfriend. She too was a big hot mess.
The one I dated at that time swallowed a lot of my big hot messes.
I don't know how that works as an analogy in regard to the post, but I said it.

Bang, that rant definitely sounded like my old drunk redneck neighbour.
I don't care who it came from or why it is here or what Biden has to do with it, I don't want it.
Stab me!
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

*furiously Googles Crushia Rucker*

Yeah I had a girlfriend in third grade too!!!!

Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

her name was Pamela Handerson
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Actually...I think I came around full circle and the same girl I had a crush on in 3rd grade was my best friend who I had a crush on in 12th grade. Senior year I narrated my personal journal and gave it to her as a 50-page book in a binder, revealing my true feelings for her (which she and everyone else knew.)

We never talked again.

:22: :) :11: :oops: :cry:
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)