Cheers to the old days. Homo.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Re: Toning Down the Personal Insults

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Demonic wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 7:58 pm its sad that regs that have helped keep this server kicking for the past 10 years are having to change their name just to play the game.
Maybe I'm missing some ingredient to this, but I don't understand how BB, Cyber, etc. "had" to change their names? Why can't the people involved just hash it out, or at least one of those people takes it to an admin and the admin helps hash it out. When I read Cyber's/BB's stuff, I just get the sense that they're dissatisfied but I don't really understand at exactly who are what. I certainly harbor no ill will against them, and I'd far appreciate that - if it were me - they'd just tell me, or at least someone who would.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

of course you dont understand blink...if you were around the server back in the day, you would have seen a totally different vibe to this server than what we have now...old school regs would rather log in, say their hello's etc and get down to simply playing the game MINUS the constant trash talk, spam chat, verbal abuse etc that some of you have brought to the server now...back then we had more admins to keep things under control...who we have now can only do so much with the time they have...so rather than those you mentioned having to run to admins all the time, why not those causing the senseless BS, just grow up....

and sarge...calling people a homo tells me you miss it where it hurts, so lemme bend you over ;)
BROTHERS IN ARMS
Cyberdemon
Brazil

Post by Cyberdemon »

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 1:08 pm Holy cyber!

I’m 19 for a tad longer, but after that I think everyone is upwards of 25-30.

We miss the normal cyber, I apologize if I’ve ever pissed you off, but I don’t think I’ve ever insulted you.

Although your smaw skills haven’t been particularly missed 😉
Bang, so you're 19 years old ???

I'm playing against a child! :lol:

You, in particular, never pissed me off, only your great playing skills are annoying! :D

In fact, I've been having some luck when I shoot smaw or rpg.

I use a little bit of the rules of physics.

Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon
Brothers in Arms
Cyberdemon
Brazil

Post by Cyberdemon »

Demonic wrote: December 24th, 2020, 8:06 am if you were around the server back in the day, you would have seen a totally different vibe to this server than what we have now...old school regs would rather log in, say their hello's etc and get down to simply playing the game MINUS the constant trash talk, spam chat, verbal abuse etc that some of you have brought to the server now...back then we had more admins to keep things under control...who we have now can only do so much with the time they have...
I agree with my brother from hell, who is also playing under a different name.

Really, the server chat looks like a chat room, just for conversations that, in addition to often not being interesting or provocative or offensive, make me lose considerable attention between reading and having to translate, because it is not my native language and in that, some players like Demonic, Bang, among others take the opportunity to kill me (it's not a complaint, it's just a comment).

As Demonic rightly said, it would be great if we could get back that old-time vibe from this server.

Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon
Brothers in Arms
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

but I do have faith that the admins are now taking things very seriously and trying to run it as it should be.
This is a response to the statement made above. I purposely left the name out of the quote because it is a general response and not directly to the author.
I don't believe there is, or was, any degree to where the current Admins didn't take these things seriously and I'm not sure I even know what "run it as it should be" means in this context.
I know that we hope against hope that players here can be adults both in how they behave and how they respond while in-game.

Suffice it to say that none of this is of "any" fault of the admins here.

~ tona
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

its diads fault...only true regs would remember what this means :D
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Well cyber and bb and demonic, I’ve had a difficult past couple years, which is no cause for being an ass wherever I have been, and I never intended to take it out I you guys. I learn every once in a while that the ways I relate to people can be too intense or whatever, so thanks for the feedback.

It’s hard for me to figure out who likes to play along with trash talk and not, and it feels a bit unfair for people to change their names and never address me directly about my behavior, but I’ll do my best to err on the side of caution in the future, at least with people who I’m not certain like to spar.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
sanchez
El Salvador

Post by sanchez »

I hope I was not the one pissing you off Cyber, if I ever tell you fu cyber or the others fu Brett or brain I do it with love no hate or anger at all, I actually love it when you guys tell me fu back, my apologies if in any way I was a part of your decision to change your name.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I guess what I’m saying is if any of you guys have a problem with me please tell me, whether on his forearms on a private message or however. It helps me to know I’m affecting you or not just have to try to guess which thing I’m doing is pissing you off.And I’m totally into adjusting my behavior for what works for you
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

its rather simple honestly....everyone of us who comes on here has had a bad day, month, year or years and just wants to unwind with some casual gamage amongst friends...a few side comments here and there are no big deal....but what ive seen on this server the past year or more, it is more intense with the spam chat, insults and childish bickering to where it has sadly become part of the culture of the server...this is not to say that it has never happened in the past, because there is always a few that like to get on and ruffle some feathers....but as we all know, the numbers playing this game are far smaller than they were , say, 6years ago, which means the BS is amplified more so now than before.

the admins are here to enforce the rules, so EVERYONE can enjoy playing here....they are not here to baby sit grown men... just my .666 cents ;)
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Demonic buddy, grown men can also speak up for he selves. True, the admin has a part. But it’s not their job to read minds and referee according to everyone’s preference. I mean, Christ, look what happens when jolly tries to pick “the perfect map” to please everybody :33:
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

Examples of what’s considered disrespectful include abusive language, intentionally killing a teammate, intentionally wounding a teammate, spamming of chat or radio messages
part of the rules of this server....no one should have to say anything to an admin...player (A) shouldn't have to report to an admin that player (B) is saying offensive crap in game, or filling the in game chat with BS.
it has sadly become part of the culture of the server
it should never have gotten to this point..

this is not about anyone's preference...it is about following the rules of the server that have been in black and white for the longest time, that some people have trouble following.
BROTHERS IN ARMS
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Demonic wrote: December 24th, 2020, 8:52 pm
Examples of what’s considered disrespectful include abusive language, intentionally killing a teammate, intentionally wounding a teammate, spamming of chat or radio messages
part of the rules of this server....no one should have to say anything to an admin...player (A) shouldn't have to report to an admin that player
The very obvious abusive language has never been relaxed on our radar.
The more minor insults, yes we relaxed a little bit as for the most part there were laughs about it for quite some time now. More recently though for reasons unknown such as complacency setting in or covid fatigue, there has been much more infighting and complaints so we are taking a firmer stance on the language.
To support what Blink has requested of you, players coming to us directly and to the forum to express concern was a driving factor in this decision.
Regardless of how you may feel about it, I absolutely encourage anyone who has a concern to come to us or post in the appropriate place in the forum.
Ultimately, we are here for you guys.
(B) is saying offensive crap in game, or filling the in game chat with BS.
I'm unsure what you mean by "filling the in game chat with BS", but we have no plans to dissuade players from having personal conversations, telling jokes, or whatever non-game related chat that goes on in game. Some come here just to hang out and that is a-ok.
it has sadly become part of the culture of the server
it should never have gotten to this point..

this is not about anyone's preference...it is about following the rules of the server that have been in black and white for the longest time, that some people have trouble following.
As stated previously, things were relaxed when it came to language but that is reversing. Beyond that, if some players are mutually enjoying poking fun at each other in a respectful manner then we are not going to rain on their parade. As Trench stated, part of the sense of community nowadays is breaking each other's balls. If a player is offended by any comment made their way, they need only request it stop.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Hey Dem,
Remember that guy years ago who just got drunker and drunker when he posted all night? Good times.
Where is Kamalla's sharp tongue to nail these little bitches.
Shout outti the vets! RFA, old boi and the Air Forces gay boy Nightstalker.

Sarge out.
Oh, you made the naughty list Demonic so be careful when tying those shoes..

With Great Speed
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Sarge, if you’re able to post so much... why don’t you hop in and play sometime? Unless you already do under a different name.. ?
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: December 25th, 2020, 1:15 am Sarge, if you’re able to post so much... why don’t you hop in and play sometime? Unless you already do under a different name.. ?
If you think this posting so much there's your first problem. Secondly, if I ever get a chance to log on now a days I find zero people playing or if by chance I do get on its nothing but bullshit. No body adheres to the rules when there's no admin on.
Thirdly, I have no reason to ever change my name. I'm no fucking Snowflake pussy or keyboard warrior that will change a name. I've been with this group for over ten years and watched "new" players just cheat and complain. The old regulars know I will kill people. They don't respawn.

Have a good one rookie.

With Great Speed
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

Hey Dem,
Remember that guy years ago who just got drunker and drunker when he posted all night? Good times.
im trying to think of his name...lolol
Oh, you made the naughty list Demonic so be careful when tying those shoes..
sometimes the truth hurts :D..specially if there is no lube..

but we have no plans to dissuade players from having personal conversations, telling jokes, or whatever non-game related chat that goes on in game. Some come here just to hang out and that is a-ok.
well good luck with your chat room lolol i stopped playing here as often, not only from being tired of getting the haxusations, but the very reason you just stated... you will figure out one day why so many people stopped playing on this server lol
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Demonic give me 20 push ups for subordination of an admin.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

how bout i give you 20 fisting's til you learn to to keep your in game chat to a minimum :D

besides...i thought the forum was a place to voice opinions/concerns etc lol if my comments are pissing people off, then so be it because....i know how this server used to be...i dont like what its become...3 regs are saying the exact same thing....but if allowing casual chat/joke telling/ personal conversations is the new norm here, then count me out lol
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

I think the fact that the game is 18+ years old is why people stopped playing it, it’s not just a few chat rooms and a few insults, that only really lost about 5 players. We had 26 the other night, and thats pretty decent. A couple months ago we hit 40 players.

I’ve done my best at bringing in new players and 5-10 have stuck around and made multiple appearances.

Lol and sarge with the rookie comment, I’ve played here for over 8 years... just with different names. With BangBangOw about 5-6 So...
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Demonic wrote: December 25th, 2020, 9:45 am besides...i thought the forum was a place to voice opinions/concerns
100%. One major function of the forum is precisely this and we encourage it.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

which server have you playing on Buttbreath ?...i kinda miss our little sniping duels :D
BROTHERS IN ARMS
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Demonic wrote: December 26th, 2020, 11:50 am which server have you playing on Buttbreath ?...i kinda miss our little sniping duels :D
Screw the sniping duels..."knife fight behind red main!"

~ tona
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

Thanks everyone for your candor and for taking the time to participate in a dialogue on the matter.

A) The following comment is *not* a response to any particular individual.
B) The following comment is coming from a place of wanting what's best for the server's overall health and well being.

As a side note: almost everyone who has chimed into this thread is still playing, but often under a nom-de-guerre. And that's perfectly fine. It's a mature way of anonymously having fun and avoiding a player who has been bothering you.

In the game:
1. Bigoted, racist, sexist, anti-Semitic, etc., comments will be swiftly met either with a warning or, especially for repeat offenders, a kick or even ban.

2. The toxic type of generically insulting dialogue that instigated Trench's eloquent original post in this thread will also now invite warning or, especially for repeat offenders, a kick or even ban.

(1) and (2) can be considered chat spam, which has already long been proscribed in the server rules.

3. Folks have forged personal bonds in this game that have been a characteristic component of this server for well over a decade. Such bonds have often exceeded the boundaries of the game. And that's wonderful!

In Patches' (RIP) obituary, it even mentioned the joy he derived from gaming with this crew.
https://www.urbanwinklerfuneralhome.com ... hard-davis

4. The grey area, with which (1) and (2) should not be conflated, is the over-use of the chat window for mindless drivel, that isn't (1) or (2) (obvioulsy kick-able, but isn't (3) (obviously OK), either.

5. Some people in this server face *real* problems in their life, and face *real* suffering. So yes, while mindless drivel is annoying, to me, it pales in comparison to the players here that:
a) are in wheelchairs
b) have family in wheelchairs
c) have lost family to COVID
d) have lost jobs during COVID pandemic

So yeah, we can clamp down on (4), but in light of 5a-5d, it's just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

The admin team has, and always has had, a choice: take a more draconian, heavy-handed, approach to enforcing rules and policing dialogue, or take a more laissez-faire approach. Neither is "correct." Some folks will prefer a heavy hand, some folks prefer a light hand. Some folks complain when we kick too much, some when we kick too little. C'est la vie. We can certainly take a slightly more heavy-handed approach on curating the use of chat, and minimizing chat spam, if that's what folks want.

For everyone, though: if a particular player or incident is bothering you, please either use the Disruptive Players thread (viewforum.php?f=30) or, preferably, PM the admins. We have routinely kicked and even banned egregious offenders over the years. Furthermore, we have spent hours out of our lives tracking down bad players so they can *stay* banned even when they try to evade bans.

I'm tired of being a babysitter. The other admins are tired of being babysitters. We are all busy, working professionals -- many of us dealing with serious health or family issues as well -- who take significant extra
time out on a volunteer basis for the health and well being of the server. This server doesn't even exist without Trench's unbelievable gymnastics, and time invested, in saving this server when it was under attack. I'm saddened by how few people thanked him for that. Without him, there is no EA117, and likely no Battlefield, as his fixes helped many other servers too. Hairy, Tona, and I have all been spending time either modding maps, or analyzing statistics to combat cheaters, or both. We do this because we care, and because we sincerely want what's best for you all! The only thing we ask in return is the following:

i) Have fun gaming
ii) Treat other players with kindness and respect
iii)be a good teammate
iv) adhere to the rules ,about both gameplay and chatspam
v) if you have a problem with someone, don't make a scene in-game, and send the admins a PM or use viewforum.php?f=30 if you feel the need to vent
vi) we still routinely hit 20 people, and had a night of 40 ppl earlier this year. the interest and enthusiasm for the game remains strong. Let's all be at our best behavior in 2021 to ensure Desert Combat survives, thrives, and is fun for everyone :-)