Is there a no base-camping rule on CTF?

Col. Kilgore
United States of America

Is there a no base-camping rule on CTF?

Post by Col. Kilgore »

Just wondering, doesn't always exactly make for an enjoyable game play experience, in my opinion.
Col. Kilgore
aka 00 Buck Shot
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Is there a no base-camping rule on CTF?

Post by tonawandares »

Col. Kilgore wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:01 pm Just wondering, doesn't always exactly make for an enjoyable game play experience, in my opinion.
Of course not. Camp to your heart's content on a CTF map.

~ tona
Col. Kilgore
United States of America

Post by Col. Kilgore »

Spawn killing gets bad sometimes, CTF brings all the fluffers out, especially on the smaller maps where they can constantly loiter on uncaps. That's just my personal opinion, put it in the the complaint box on the 2nd floor.... :D
Col. Kilgore
aka 00 Buck Shot
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Col. Kilgore wrote: January 15th, 2021, 2:53 am Spawn killing gets bad sometimes, CTF brings all the fluffers out, especially on the smaller maps where they can constantly loiter on uncaps. That's just my personal opinion, put it in the the complaint box on the 2nd floor.... :D
If you have a viable method of controlling camping on a main during CTF, then by all means, share it.
As long as that method does not include an Admin spending an entire game kicking folks for killing players in the main.
I get your point to a degree. I often say in-game chat that this is Capture the flag not Camp the flag in an effort to get players to make a play for the flag. But really, the tactic of suppressive fire whilst someone makes an attempt at the flag is the obvious strategy.
CTF maps have other Control Points to capture. This gives you an optional spawn. I would say with the exception of Berlin.
We've added an optional spawn on that map due to Blue's tunnel of a main.

I'm open to entertaining your suggestion(s).

~ tona
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

That is really the ideal situation to be in during CTF.
Hold all control points, have your team taking out every enemy right at spawn to eliminate threats to the flag carrier, carrier makes 5 trips back and forth.
Otto Kontrol
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Otto Kontrol »

But from the other side, it is impossible to defend that if you can't even make 2 steps from the point of your spawn. You have to let BOTH teams play otherwise why bother. In my opinion, unless there is a direct flag cap attempt, there shouldn't be people SPAWN camping an uncap-able base. Yes, I will spawn kill you if you bring your spawn truck into my base. But I don't ever sit outside an uncap and go for the cheap kills (unless coop when who gives a fuck). Very easy to shoot the guy that just spawned, but let some of us honestly defend our flag.
Just my 60 year old $1897.00 opinion ( amount I would have made on a penny stock we learned about in grade school)

oTTo
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Buckshot, after I kill you and five of your friends in base from my spot beneath the red tractor trailer in Al Nas, I'll make sure to stop by and wipe the tears from your corpse with my...nevermind

:22:

But in all honesty it's not that hard to quickly predict and adapt to a spawn camper's strategy. The maps I do it on I'm constantly aware that I always have a blind spot; I can't see all spawns at once. Plus, if you use dem ears you can figure out pretty quickly what sector the fire is coming from and move to cover right away. I'm quick with the AK, but I am rarely able to kill people in base where they stand.

If all else fails, switch to spec ops and spam smoke. That's how I deal with iraqi spawn campers playing USA side in Nas.

If you need any more tips I'll be here all night.

:6:
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Otto,

That really is the name of the game though. Ultimately you want to dominate your opponents in order to bleed their tickets, steal their flags, or destroy their objectives while also setting up defense so they cannot do it to you.
One thing I do hope happens more though is our "fluffers" as Bill put it recognizing when they are on the same team and choosing to switch and balance things out.