My Custom Maps Updates

HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: Custom Made Maps in the Rotation

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Bang I hate to be the one to take a dump on the idea here, but you need to put some work into this one to get a fair enough response for a decision to based on a poll.

We have said time and time again that it is difficult to get anyone to download anything and I'm staying in that lane. It is like pulling teeth just to get some players to do a 10 minute reinstall with the abandonware to fix problems, let alone get custom content installed.
You need to factor in all our regular players who do not visit the forum to offer their opinion on whether or not they would take time to download your maps.
While time consuming, I highly suggest checking our Gametracker board and meticulously 5 at a time messaging our regular players in an attempt to have them come give their opinion on this one. We absolutely do not want to prevent anyone from hopping in due to having no idea there are custom maps up for download while we play them.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

If FHSW can get people to download a 10 minute patch every month, and still have 80-100 players on their server, then I think it’s possible lol. You could put up one of those grey notifications for the server “make sure to download our custom maps on the forum”... and then we could remind people to get the installer. I think it’d work just fine, and if some people got map not found they’d probably wonder why and if they found out that it’s a quick download and they don’t even have to login to get it... I’d bet we’d get people to get them.
Otto Kontrol
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Otto Kontrol »

Maybe have and PAY for your own server to host YOUR maps. Then YOU can direct people to wherever they have to go get them.

oTTo
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Or we could just have them available for EA117, since almost everyone that plays them has nothing but good things to say. But nonetheless thank you for your input Otto. 😄👍🏻
TheoNeo
Netherlands

Post by TheoNeo »

How about the following idea:
Have the custom maps present on the EA117 server, just not in the maplist rotation.
Also, put links to the download for the map on the webpage...
That way, everyone can join because normally all the regular maps run.
Then, if theres a game going, the admins can ask ingame whether people want to play the custom maps? And then (onetime-) switch it those custom maps ??

Just an idea,
BF Pirates: All Pirates be stealin' that Treasure, Arrrr !!

Galactic Conquest: Face me, Rebel scum !

Ask not what your Team can do for you | Ask what YOU can do for your Team !
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

I’m putting an installer up once HRD gives me some feedback and a few others (on the maps), also kinda wanted Trench back in town first to get his final thoughts. I don’t want to anger the almighty here at EA117... 🤪
sanchez
El Salvador

Post by sanchez »

why are you guys making it so difficult, I downloaded and installed the files in less than 2 minutes. The maps are really good I played and enjoyed them. one way to help people installing and trying them is by inviting them through the in-game server messages.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Trench wrote:July 28th, 2020, 4:15 pm The other gate we'll need to pass though is having the installer that we can actually de-compile or compile here. Since there won't be any "EA117 said to download this" for which EA117 doesn't have definitive knowledge and access to what's in the installer. We would also be looking at how well it handles varied installations (CD, Origin, custom folder, etc.) since that will directly bear on its supportability for the players who download it.
Trench wrote:June 26th, 2020, 10:33 pm If you are going to make an installer anyway and can share the source, I'd be happy to take a look at how robust it will be and see if that helps change my mind. I've just always had a very specific idea of what "the day EA117 tries to do download-required maps again" would look like, and I am not sold that I'd be happy or that it's necessary to settle for any "half-measures". So no promises, but if you were "going to make one anyway" for having the event "somewhere" even if that's not EA117, maybe it's no wasted effort to still make it and see what we think.
This is quoted from the discussion that went on in private messages last year.

It is true that EA117 has not been interested in making custom maps a part of the EA117 server rotation, unless and until we can make an automatic download system. To make things as transparent as possible, both for the players attempting to use them, and for the admins who would end up needing to support them.

That type of system is still a long way off, and we feel no urgency in "let's support custom maps anyway possible right now", and have no issue waiting until we do have such a system created. If it never happens because no one has additional free time to dedicate beyond gaming, it's also fine if it never happens.

We've hosted custom maps on EA117 before, and had them has part of the rotation. It's based on that experience that we're now saying "let's not do that again until we have a better system in place." BangBangOw and others have proposed that the support might not be as bad as what we're thinking, and that we should try it again.

As such, the proposed compromise and quoted discussion you're seeing above was in relation to "we're willing to try hosting them as a one-time event", e.g. on Sunday night or similar, to see how it goes. But with the gates and conditions related to the installer, which you can see described in the quoted messages above.

That hasn't happened since July 2020, because no such installer was ever submitted for review. Not because "Trench said no", and not because EA117 wasn't willing to at least try running custom maps as a one-time event.

If having an installer that needs to meet EA117 criteria is deemed "too burdensome" or an unnecessary obstacle, that too is perfectly fine. The described conditions are only for hosting the maps here on EA117. Clearly you can choose to host them anywhere you want, and on a server which does not have similar expectations.
Wasabi
Japan

Post by Wasabi »

It is almost impossible to get people to download custom maps.

Hell, people in 2021 don't even appear to have installed the RTR/SW maps. When Moon switches from Vanilla to Secret Weapons on sundays, we typically go from 40 players to like 20 players when the map switches. That tells you how many people actually have the expansions installed.

Just my .02
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Wasabi wrote: January 28th, 2021, 6:48 pm It is almost impossible to get people to download custom maps.

Hell, people in 2021 don't even appear to have installed the RTR/SW maps. When Moon switches from Vanilla to Secret Weapons on sundays, we typically go from 40 players to like 20 players when the map switches. That tells you how many people actually have the expansions installed.

Just my .02
You should try putting up links for free downloads alongside instructions, as well as regularly run these expansions on a set day every week for several years.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Then how does the FHSW mod get 100+ players every day and have a new patch every week that tweaks some stats in the vehicles lol. They have such a large fan base, players from all over, and they can do it over and over and gain numbers. I’ve had 26 players on my own server for these custom maps, which is more than the ea117 average, and all it took was a little organizing.. it’s possible 😄
Wasabi
Japan

Post by Wasabi »

HairyRussianDude wrote: January 28th, 2021, 7:39 pm
Wasabi wrote: January 28th, 2021, 6:48 pm It is almost impossible to get people to download custom maps.

Just my .02
You should try putting up links for free downloads alongside instructions, as well as regularly run these expansions on a set day every week for several years.
Done and done. Never changed a thing. People are either dumb, lazy, don't know English, or a combination of all 3
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Event is Cancelled

Today, my schedule changed and I will be busy this Saturday, last minute schedule change.

Event is off until a later time, if you are reading this now and have no idea what I'm talking about then that's the goal.

If you had already seen this post, sorry for misleading you, as I had to cancel the event until a later time.

Sorry for the disappointment,

BangBangOw<CP*SF>
Last edited by BangBangOw<CP*SF> on March 1st, 2021, 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: EA117's Fill The Server Event!!!

A reccomendation Bang...

It is tedious because you can only group message 5 at a time, but the last time I tried an event I hit Gametracker, sorting by time played so I didn't miss as many people and messaged all of our old regs.
Brought a few back from the dead.
THE_Highway Man
United States of America

Re: EA117's Fill The Server Event!!!

Post by THE_Highway Man »

AFAIK i'll be there.
No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms.
– Thomas Jefferson
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Re: Event is Cancelled

Event is cancelled due to scheduling changes, sorry for the inconvenience...

Bang is real good at those :(
THE_Highway Man
United States of America

But we can still have fun without BBO.....
– Thomas Jefferson
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Probably more fun, just not gonna have those set maps and what not without the organizer there.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Behold! Oasis Takeover!

Hello All!

I present you my latest masterpiece! Oasis Takeover!

This map can be played three different ways with the main mode being Objective.

Whether it's bunkers, the terrorist's power supply, or the cargo ship... the Seals know what to do.

Map includes many custom textures for the Iraqi side, new flags, skins etc. (This turns them into ISIS insurgents).

Map includes new skins for American Vehicles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Re: Behold! Oasis Takeover!

Pics pt. 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Pics Pt. 3
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Pics PT. 4
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Pic pt. 5
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

NOW you go ahead and tell me this doesn't look awesome...!

I think this map is a true masterpiece, Objective Mode and all!

Let me know what you guys think of this newly completed map of mine.

Thanks,

BangBangOw<CP*SF>
THE_Highway Man
United States of America

That looks amazing! Good job UT
Like Garth Brooks says," guess ill slip on down to the Oaisis... "Cause I've got friends in Nas places where the river flows and the spawn truck goes, it's all too fun, ....then it's over and done. Yeah im not big on eastings or twin rivers, guess I'll slip on down to the Oaisis .....cause I've got friends in... Nas places....."

😳
– Thomas Jefferson