Why do you love Nas?

HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Why do you love Nas?

Post by HairyRussianDude »

For those who want a 24/7 Nas server, what is it about the map that makes you want to spend the remaining years of your life playing it?
Give me specific details please.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Re: Why do you love Nas?

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

I believe blink is answering this question as the leader of the Nas 24/7 club.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I was born in it. Molded by it.

Maybe Nas is the only map I am consistently good at!? Is that it????

I just like the flow of mid-bases, fighting over them. They really matter in terms of access so there's high stakes. There's so many memorable choke points: the market by Iraqi base, the riversides (after whomevers EXCELLENT modifying of boundaries by riverside way back when,) the little corner that juts out if you try to drive between trailer and wall by USA base, the multiple access points to the close-to-USA conquer point. It goes on and on. It just feels more intimate than most other maps, most of which are much more generic-feeling in the small details of rooms/outside organization.] The spawn points are also nicely varied I think, especially for USA but also for Iraqi, despite the close quarters.

For me, it's not just nostalgia to really know every nook and cranny of a map and have each part have different "personalities" per se. When I am strategizing on the fly, each part being so distinct in its own right makes experimenting and trial-and-error that much more fun. Like how many times have I (as an Iraqi) spawned to the conq. point by USA base, dove under the trailers to check who's in base, and then run across the road to either go straight in or snake in around their tall building? And yet it's fun I think precisely because there's so many exact details to be played with. To the left or right of the tractor trailer wheels? Do I take the alley? Will someone be getting health in USA corner? Watch out for spin/otto/camping snipers across the way in their weapon room. Check the rooftops. Maybe toss a nade in the highest density spawn area. Make the extra run into enemy territory for a vehicle, or book it and try to AK my chasers and call for a Toyota?

FYI my old favorite map used to be El al. So I can like big maps too. I like the new gaz as well. Tona's hammer mod is nas-like except, again, it sacrifices memorability in what I find to be a lot of forgettable streets.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
THE_Highway Man
United States of America

Post by THE_Highway Man »

I suppose people like nas for the same reason I like Bocage Day 2. Has some size to it, good amount of vehicles/ transportation. Can quickly reach your destination. No driving and driving.
No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms.
– Thomas Jefferson
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I also feel like I can really know each player's style in Nas:
-Cyberdemon (before he changed) in his market corner in Iraqi base. MY FAVORITE PLAYER BTW BEFORE I APPARENTLY OFFENDED HIM
-Hungry hippo doing his Toyota flips on the dirt mound
-Spin loving to lay in hallways; either in USA base or halfway down the road in that side hallway
-Otto...camping
-Wildcard or trench in a hummer on the 50
-Fluffy just generally raping me everywhere i go
-Trench battling me for near-USA base
-BBO going with or against me on offense
etc.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

The fluffy comment made me laugh
THE_Highway Man
United States of America

Post by THE_Highway Man »

Don't forget spookydude
No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms.
– Thomas Jefferson
Cyberdemon
Brazil

Post by Cyberdemon »

Why I don't love Nass anymore?

If I said that Nas is a bad map, it would be a lie.
It is an interesting map. What irritates is that they want to play on that map all the time, and there are times when it gets boring.

The advantage of having other maps is to explore and develop new skills.

I am very grateful to Tonawandares for teaching me how to fight Apache, considering my ping is high and unstable, it is often a real miracle to be able to hit someone. But he showed me a way to make up for it.

Going back to the Nas map, I left my corner, Blink, changed my name and style of playing, also because it is often boring to play defense, often we don't have emotional moments in defense and it becomes boring and drowsy.

I've been playing here since Im_not_you_father and Nightstalker were administrators, a long time ago ...
It was time to change.

This is not to say that I no longer love using rpg or smaw to make great shots, but that I needed to discover other skills.
I have found the modified maps very interesting and I believe that there will come a time that Nas will also need to be modified in order not to fall into sameness (I don’t know if that term exists in English), if it’s not already, since there are players “cheering the nose" when they start voting for Nas (I'm one of them).

Currently, I don't feel as excited to play Nas as I did in previous seasons, I believe we have many other good map options to play with.
Of course, if the majority wants to play, let's go!

There are maps that I don't particularly like, but if the majority want to play, I prefer to stay with the group.

But, please, let's vary!
Cyberdemon
Brothers in Arms
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

This post does not help the purpose of the thread whatsoever Cyber.
Do you have anything positive to say?
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

Cyber, I appreciate your heartfelt and sincere comments.

I appreciate how both you and Demonic, and others, have retained the excitement by teaching yourselves new skills.

Likewise, as I have dealt with injury in my left wrist, I have not been able to play on offense for the same duration as before, so I have enjoyed learning the intricacies of defense.

I believe that variety is the spice of life. Every single Battlefield map is fun when folks play with enthusiasm. Nas is certainly one of my favorites. But emphasis on "one of." Lost Village, Urban CTF and CQ, Coastal CTF and CQ, Battle of the Bulge, No Fly Zone, Cornered, Wake, Bragg, First Light, Basrahs Edge, Inshallah Valley, Battle of Britain, each are unique and fun in their own way. I would be overall likely happier were we to play Nas once every couple days, to reserve more time for some of the other maps. But everyone has their own preference.

That is in part why Tona, Hairy, and I have spent significant time of our own creating new server side map mods. If you ever want to learn, I am happy to guide you.

My interpretation of Hairy's original post was to break down which aspects make Al Nas such a compelling map, such that we can apply those learnings in our modifications of other maps. I certainly designed some of Urban CTF to emulate some, but not all, aspects of what makes Nas so compelling.

Just some thoughts.

J
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Hairy should we make a why do you hate nas Forum? lol
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: March 6th, 2021, 6:08 pm Hairy should we make a why do you hate nas Forum? lol
Nah we hear complaining all the time, old news. Some constructive feedback would be welcome for once.
Cyberdemon
Brazil

Post by Cyberdemon »

HairyRussianDude wrote: March 6th, 2021, 2:29 pm This post does not help the purpose of the thread whatsoever Cyber.
Do you have anything positive to say?
HairyRussianDude, I believe I said it at the beginning of my post.

I believe you read it.

Now, my interpretation is that this map has become a controversy on this server.

The positive view I had about this map when we started playing it changed a lot.

In my view, currently, there are opposite feelings about this map.

I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that it would be a post for us to pass on what we feel, positive and also negative, in relation to this map.

I'm sorry if I didn't meet your expectations.

I don't know how I can delete my post, but if you explain to me, I'll do it.
Cyberdemon
Brothers in Arms
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Here's my two cents..

Al Nas is one of the best maps in the DC Final Mod, it originally was a custom map made (heh, if only I was 16 years prior lol) for the 0.7 DC mod, and the developers loved it so much that they added it into the Final edition. First Light was also in this group.

Nas is awesome, there's no doubt that the map is one of the best "action" maps. Whether it's the infantry battles, defense/offense of the flags, or capturing the middle flags to give your team an advantage, there's always something going on. 5v5, 10v10, 20v20; the map is playable with any group or size, although I imagine a 32v32 would probably be a little too much in my opinion.

I used to see Nas on the server browser and be super happy to play it on here with you great group of guys, It was always fun, and brought in the most players. That's the main thing for me, whatever brings in the players, Nas was the one, So I loved Nas.

On the negative side of things we have... it is waaaaay over played lol, but it gets good crowds so I don't mind.

A little more variety would be all that I ask and don't say I haven't come up with solutions for variety ;)
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Cyberdemon wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:09 pm I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that it would be a post for us to pass on what we feel, positive and also negative, in relation to this map.
No worries, but my question is very clearly geared to those who are fans of the map.

We are very aware that some players feel it is overplayed. Bringing that up is just beating on a dead horse.
I need no opinions on how often it is played, what to do with it, etc. Just purely what those who get drawn in by it enjoy about the map.
Col. Kilgore
United States of America

Post by Col. Kilgore »

I like to knife or run over snipers, zook or C4 trucks full of people.
Col. Kilgore
aka 00 Buck Shot
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Bang your hampster told me last night she likes variety too.

-blink stoned sitting in the sun waiting for a burn pile to burn out
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

You have a weird fascination with hampsters and other small furry things...

Should we check you in to a therapist?
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

The latest server rule changes really turned me on to Hampsters somehow.... :33:
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
ButtBreathSenior

Post by ButtBreathSenior »

I simply enjoy humping the camel. No other map has one so easily accessible and friendly. And most of his teeth are gone.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

THE_Highway Man wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:37 pm Don't forget spookydude
True. Seems like our regulars have more master defenders amongst them than offense guys.

Jolly funny or hear you talk about offense as more physically taxing. Haha it’s like we’re almost doing something!
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Col. Kilgore
United States of America

Post by Col. Kilgore »

ButtBreathSenior wrote: March 9th, 2021, 12:34 pm I simply enjoy humping the camel. No other map has one so easily accessible and friendly. And most of his teeth are gone.
That camel really puts out.
Col. Kilgore
aka 00 Buck Shot