Need help?
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

PC Ate It

Post by HairyRussianDude »

I'm game crippled boys.

Shot in the dark if you guys want to throw out any ideas.
All week I've had random blue screens of "your pc encountered an error. Collecting info and we'll restart".
Of course I didn't scribble down any wierd error codes (blaming the heat for frying my brain). Tonight it happened again, got stuck in a loop of this, and now it fires but I get no display.

The only thing I did after a quick google search a couple of days ago was manually update win 10.

Any ideas?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: PC Ate It

Post by Trench »

Using the Windows Event Viewer to view the "System" event log, and searching for "dump" or "bugcheck" or event ID 1001 can give some of the details that were on that screen. If you can confirm / cut-n-paste that info, there is a very narrow category of issues for which a dump won't even be helpful.
So knowing the numbers and gibberish on that screen can help confirm uploading a dump would even be helpful.

Look for whether the file C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP exists with a recent date like any of the blue screens you've experienced. Or wait until the next one, and make note of whether the screen says its writing to MEMORY.DMP or not.

If you do have a MEMORY.DMP written, then ZIP up the file C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP, which will probably be pretty large. And push the file to Google Drive or anywhere I can pull it down.

If it does not mention MEMORY.DMP, then it's probably writing a mini-dump to C:\Windows\Minidump\. They're small, and there are probably several of them there. ZIP them all up together and push the file to Google Drive or anywhere I can pull it down.

Dump analysis is not always conclusive, but many times can point directly to certain kinds of issues. And given the option, I always want to look and see whether there is a surgical solution, before taking off and starting to nuke things from orbit.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

The first and impassable hurdle there is a lack of display. :(

I think I got 'er fingered though.
Since my display crapped out, I figured "lets start with the video card". So that leaves the card shitting out or maybe a bitched driver.
But I can't reinstall the driver without seeing what I'm doing. "Well my mother board has a VGA connector for a monitor". Nope. When I first built this thing, Windows 10 is a piece of shit and there were issues with both my motherboard's and nvidia drivers both existing so I had to delete the motherboard driver to get my card to work right. (taking a moment to mourn XP who rarely gave me any issues in 13 years of use).

Luckily my wife's computer nerd cousin happened to move two blocks from me so I borrowed a card, plopped her in, and poof! I can see stuff again.
Deleted and re-installed my nvidia driver and I'm back in business. Hopefully a squirrelly update was all that was wrong.

I think I earned a nerd ribbon here Trench.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

:D
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

close.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.