This server is awesome

BlinkofanEye
United States of America

This server is awesome

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Hey all,
I just wanted to say how much I appreciate this server as being a source of not only fun but also quality connection, in a medium (multiplayer video games,) that is all too often a sort of compromise in terms of "how much escapism can I manage to get while avoiding the shit of dealing with people unleashing their personalities online/" Like...this shit is even better than schooling my little brother in Jet Moto on Playstation 1. The admins, players, map-modders...just everything speaks to people that stay in it for a love of the game and playing together.

Just recently I bought a "new" (for me, not for the person selling it) computer, and, seriously, one of my considerations was "how much do I really need to play one of those newfangled videa gaymz" because, from what little experience I have of playing PUBG Mobile and watching Warzone videos online, there is so much toxic shit out there in online gaming. And, sure, we have a little drama here and there on EA117, but overall there isn't the kind rampant disrespect and unhealthy competitiveness that seems to be the norm for a lot of other games. I'm a relative newcomer, so I don't know the whole history behind that, but from what I've seen, the admins here have displayed a lot of restraint and maturity (I mean, fack, admins on subreddits and Facebook groups regularly power-trip over their petty little domains) *and* we players have shown a level of maturity in figuring out how to play nice together, in a sort of give-and-take where we can all work things out without having some black-and-white rules/dictator(s) ruling over us. Considering how divided American culture, and the world, currently are, I'd say that's one hell of a feat!

Raising a beer to y'all in the shed.
blinkthumbsupyour (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Re: This server is awesome

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Awwww you’re gonna make Trench cry…🥲

I agree, we have something special here. With all the ups and downs, I’m glad I’ve been apart of it. Love this group most of the time, I’ve had some rough patches but I’ve worked through em.

Always happy to make you guys maps, host an event , or try and recruit people to come join us. You guys truly are a great community.

Props to Trench on being the back bone of ea117 for the last long while, and for tona putting in the work with the SSM’s over the years and all the other admins helping keep it together…. Although I still think blink needs to be an admin for 1 day each year and let him run Nas for 24 hours… 🤪

😄
[-UG-] Maj. MoFo

Post by [-UG-] Maj. MoFo »

Nice Blinko! I agree. This server is great. I only wish the populated time aligned better with my possible gaming time.

Trench is awesome and I have known Tona since my beginnings of DC. He’s a cool dude.

Tona and I played on a server known as the Roxbury, many years ago. I am sure his name was Gideon, back then. Since then he’s been a Fleetwood Mac song name changer, ending with his unknown reasons for a Native American name. His buddy is Suzy who is a dude that had a huge like 32” flat screen he played on back when most were lucky to have a 17” monitor. Suzy’s monitor was his claim to fame and his avatar pic, as I recall.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Yeah my sleep definitely suffers when we hit a good night and are up till 11:30+...but yeah, not much we can do about that. I don't get why it happens that way, as I'm in the same time zone as Texas. I guess people just can't get away from everyday things until late late. Guess that's true for me sometimes too.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

Glad that you like it here. When this thing started a long ass time ago a few of us admins all had the same attitude and it became the culture that has remained thanks to Tona and Trench especially.

There was a group of people that became friends because of a game....a escape from the real life stuff that wasn't online socially like it is now.
The raw beauty of this particular game is the required team play....a person with almost zero kills can work with another person and kick some ass together and win a round. Fly a spawn chopper, spot arty, I love gunning a good helo pilot and even had a 50 kill round on El Al as a hind gunner once..so many pissed pilots that round LMAO..it's the GAME.. that's the attitude here. Go play...it will be over soon and we can talk about whatever before the next one loads. Respect the game and it's players and the rest will follow.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Well said toolman!
Good to see you in-game again.

~ tona
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Thank you for the kind words Blink. I feel a little bad that I have been so absent for awhile now. Life has been sucking up my spare time lately.
BlinkofanEye wrote: November 17th, 2021, 11:03 pm Considering how divided American culture, and the world, currently are, I'd say that's one hell of a feat!
This one strikes a chord with me. A little backstory...

Not enough happens up here to fill a nightly news cast, and as such we are absolutely bombarded with American news. Watching a news report from CBC vs. lets say Fox News though, I think we get much more unbiased news plus we have no stakes in the game with what happens with you guys aside from trade so I think we are able to to see both sides of the table better.
A lot of us see the US as split, on absolutely everything. Seriously, its like half of you would argue that forks are useful while the other half to be spiteful would argue they aren't and a spoon can fill both roles.
50% Republican (like the Conservatives here) who are branded the "Nazi-intolerant-ignore the lower class-all sorts of bad things" and 50% Democrat (similar to the Liberals here) who are branded as the "more forward thinking party" but ultimately are just the better of two evils.
So, being in a Liberal ran country your Republicans aren't at all my cup of tea.

That being said, the regular Republicans of Teamspeak garner my respect. We disagree on sooooo much and have mild arguments on many things but they don't try and tell me I am wrong, they don't resort to name calling, when it becomes apparent that neither side has anything meaningful to say or somebody is becoming angry they just leave it to rest, and I have even heard one of them come back to me after an argument of fact instead of opinion and say "You were correct, I was mistaken." They just respectfully roll with "I disagree, here is why, but you're entitled to your opinion as well."

As silly as this might sound, they have broken down some stereotypes I previously had about the 50% of Republican voters and left me more open minded about some of their values (while still 100% disagreeing).
So playing on this server and using voice chat has altered how I view the US, an entire country, for the better.

I dig our crew.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

...and that is why I don't join any voice apps.
I have absolutely no desire to discuss (or overhear) personal, political or religious ideologies when simply trying to have some fun downtime...
I'm only interested in enjoying this game with new and old BF friends especially when it involves aircraft of various sorts.

~ tona
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

I agree that EA117 has always been, or has at least tried to be, a place where the great community rivals the greatness of the game. Which is why we were more than happy to carry on providing what the original founders had built.

Thank you to everyone who comes here looking to enjoy playing Desert Combat and participating in our EA117 player community.