Mod feedback megathread

jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Mod feedback megathread

Post by jolly_giada »

Not pointing out anyone in particular. Let's please keep the dialogue civil. Feedback is a gift. Let's give it cordially and receive it with gratitude.

We are all on the same team! we have the same goal, which is to keep DC and ea117 alive and thriving, so let's keep that common goal in mind :)

List of modded maps that we play with any regularity. I invite feedback on any. i will write my own opinion, but humbly submitted, and appreciate constructive criticism.

where ctf maps existed a priori:

tona mods:
-LV CTF. imo, tona's mods vastly improved.
-al nas CTF. imo, tona's mods vastly improved.
-berlin CTF. imo, tona's mods moderately improved. i think perhaps improved if bang added spawn humvee/truck? just a thought
-gazala CTF. imo, tona's mods somewhat improved. i would prefer if it could be more fun for folks like me with hand disability. e.g., ac130's, and if u cap the two closest base, u can strategically spawn high up in air
-coastal CTF. imo, tona's mods vastly improved.
-bocage ctf. flag should be moved back to church imo.

-basrahs edge ctf. both tona and jolly. i think this needs work. doesnt feel right yet. bbow could improve w spawnable vehicles. also add bmp/brad back to main base. on fence about black hawks.

bbow mods:
-bridge CTF. imo, bbow's mods vastly improved.
-kharkhov day 2 ctf. i havent played enough to comment.
- Philli CQ. havent played.

jolly mods
-lv nopara cq. maybe better but still not there yet
-inshallah ctf. i made it better but could still use work.

*where ctf previously did not exist:*
bbow:
-battle of britain. not a fan. Hairy had ideas here, maybe u can share?
-Caen: i like. might prefer the blue main to be at southeast base instead and have fast boats to utilize river more?
- phili: i like. tho i think could be more imaginitive. i think flags should be on different islands and more boats. and note bmp/brdm can float.
-dustbowl: i like
-market: could use work. one less bomber per side. should utilize the city more.
-cornered: have not played

jolly:
-urban ctf. again, didnt exist b4. i think its super fun. but def could use work!

hairy:
-easting ctf. i like. still could use work as it's new but i like.

Please lmk if this is missing any mods so i can update this list to make comprehensive
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Re: Mod feedback megathread

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

I also did: Current Phili CQ, LV CQ ( WE ARE REMOVING THIS), Kharkov Day 2 CTF.

Also Urban and Eastings DO exist as CTFs in the Desert Combat final mod. We had those as an option, just like Coastal Hammer CTF, you guys just went in and made them better 😄.

So those had previously had CTF as a game mode just FYI. Move those up to the other list.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Also for the maps that DO NOT come with CTF mode, you cannot add any flags other than the two CTF “grabbable” flags.

So on market the whole “add a center flag” proposals by people, cannot happen.

This is the difference between those eastings and urban mods versus a map like market or Dustbowl ctf, you get to have those capturable bases in those maps. When you add a CTF as a game mode you don’t get to have any extra bases which is lame lol. Thus my reasoning to add a spawnable bmp/Stryker, can be mobilized to be a offensive spawn point in the middle of the map… since we can’t have any flags…

Urban gives you so many options with like 7 flags total to mess with. We can make that map better for sure and clean it all up.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Is it possible to make more than two teams and more than two CTF flags? Or would that require a new iteration of DC itself?
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

BlinkofanEye wrote: May 15th, 2022, 1:23 am Is it possible to make more than two teams and more than two CTF flags? Or would that require a new iteration of DC itself?
Not for a server side mod.

I could do that in a custom map, and also as a custom standalone mod.

So yes and no, but… no lol
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

thanks for the reply, Bang.

Market Garden CTF

love the effort on it. certainly high octane.

please take a look at moongamers' cut of mg ctf. i thought it was a blast. spawns at both bridges. i believe maybe spawnable apc's but could be wrong on the latter.

imo this version has way too much air. less is more.

spawns in city would be good. either at bridges or at church etc.

i dislike when capturable flags are too in the open. there is no cover for offense. way too easy to defend. would consider moving flags to places with a bit more cover.

there's a lot to build with here. you'll get there.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

only thing that keeps coming to mind for any map ( probably best suited for bigger maps ) is a flying car bomb......car bombs are fun as they are, but are also an easy target when spotted......but if the dam thing was airborn, when someone honked the horn.....right mouse button for turbo....left mouse button for honking......... >: D just a thought
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

You can get your flying car bombs fix on Market CTF 🙂
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

I was thinking more of a Al El or Gazala type map.....somewhere the bigger hills can get that sucker launched and then you come down hard into the base...it would almost be like a scud....but with wheels and no insurance :D
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

The only problem with adding carbombs is "any HONK" will create a boom.

So, take Basrah Edge for example... last night we played it and some people were like " why did I randomly blow up? "..

They had honked the technical horn... and since the map has car bombs enabled ... the lada and tech (no matter the variant... recoilless... regular) will blow up the same way as the lada. This does not apply to humvees.

To give you an example of what I did in one of my mods, although a crap mod lol.

Kharkov Day 2 I originally had techs/humvees for each side, then ladas in the south part of the map with the car bombs... then honked one of the technical one of the times testing it and boom. blew up... Went back in and made everything humvees/dpvs, but kept the ladas with car bombs.

If we were to add "carbombs" to maps like EL AL/ GAZ, as you suggest... we would have the technical enabled as well. This would probably create a problem... red would have access to more car bombs in their main then what blue is able to access. Also think about a bailer from blue just instantly going to technical and honking them all... lol Plus anyone who honks the tech horn is going to be sent to mars in the following 8 seconds...

An example where lada's worked and the teams had a third-party vehicle that was the same for both sides... LV CTF. DPV's for both sides, and then lada in specific locations. Had it been humvees/techs... all the red vehicles would act as car bombs as well.

Just a thing to remember .
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

what if we keep carbombs/trucks to bigger maps ? honestly, i get confused to and am afraid to get in one on other maps....just incase i honk by mistake lol
but a tech truck turbo carbomb could be a 2 way attack......bomb....but if you load it up with a few players, and get it airborn, they could chute down..i guess the same with a Lada........who knows, if it were timed right, it could take out a passing plane or helo >: D
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

It is really fun, I thought adding that into market was a cool idea when I was going through it all.

I didn’t mod EL AL or Gazala so you’d have to ask Tona.

What WE don’t have on the server is an Aberdeen CTF, I’m going to add CTF as a game mode to that map and make a tanks ctf. However turbo ladas are going to be in there fo sho.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

Ahhh....Tona ?! :D turbo bomb Ladas and tech trucks ?! :D :11: for El AL

I havent played Arberdeen in years...ctf on it would work i think.

Maybe with battle of Britain to add a few boats...give them a little speed ?! just so others can get across the other side without needing a helo.
I might even stop in the middle of the water and do some fishing :D..though i havent fished in years either lol
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Demonic wrote: May 16th, 2022, 4:22 pm Ahhh....Tona ?! :D turbo bomb Ladas and tech trucks ?! :D :11: for El AL

I havent played Arberdeen in years...ctf on it would work i think.

Maybe with battle of Britain to add a few boats...give them a little speed ?! just so others can get across the other side without needing a helo.
I might even stop in the middle of the water and do some fishing :D..though i havent fished in years either lol
Aberdeeen fo sho will work with ctf, really fun tank battles.

Thinking of things to add to Britain. I made that before I figured out how to utilize the sub spawn on vehicles. Could easily add some things to spice it up. Spawn vehicles, spawn boats.

Maybe the Iraqi ship and destroyers … idk. Options though for sure.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

I’ve never seen a turbo T-72 or M1A1….just saying

Although I guess that would be in conflict with their secondary fire.

I’m not sure if bang’s BoB mod is too busy (seems like maybe) or if we just haven’t had it long enough to develop tactics (and refine, ad nauseum.) The flags are definitely super hard to cap, especially on USA side, with all the hardware sitting there aimed at flag. Maybe a more discernible “parking lot” that is not right in front of flag or something, I dunno.

Jolly spawn truck in Berlin sounds very interesting. We’ve all gotten so used to the existing map it could potentially make for a pretty dynamic situation. But that means each team would have a spawn truck? And which vehicle would be a spawn point without introducing stronger armor? (Can hummer act as spawn?)

I also like Jolly’s idea to try to force more boat usage in both philli and Caen. Right now they feel totally vestigial and it would be a new skill for us to learn after these almost twenty years of playing the game.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

BlinkofanEye wrote: May 17th, 2022, 6:16 am I’ve never seen a turbo T-72 or M1A1….just saying

I’m not sure if bang’s BoB mod is too busy (seems like maybe) or if we just haven’t had it long enough to develop tactics (and refine, ad nauseum.) The flags are definitely super hard to cap, especially on USA side, with all the hardware sitting there aimed at flag. Maybe a more discernible “parking lot” that is not right in front of flag or something, I dunno.

Jolly spawn truck in Berlin sounds very interesting. We’ve all gotten so used to the existing map it could potentially make for a pretty dynamic situation. But that means each team would have a spawn truck? And which vehicle would be a spawn point without introducing stronger armor? (Can hummer act as spawn?)

I also like Jolly’s idea to try to force more boat usage in both philli and Caen. Right now they feel totally vestigial and it would be a new skill for us to learn after these almost twenty years of playing the game.
You can add the spawn to any vehicle.

Like what I did in market “Stryker and bmp1” could easily be lada and Humvee, or kettengrad, and b17…

Also tonight I’m giving Trench a reversed Docks CQ mod, where Iraq is attacking an American held docks. They get the Iraqi ship and BMPs, it was fun when we tested.

We almost NEVER get to play with the Iraqi ship. “OSA”, so this will be a way for people to see the Iraqi ship and get to use it a little. Will be fun for sure!
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

I did see turbo tanks on a server many years ago ( cannot remember which one )...they are freaking hard to control, but are kind of fun.....even if their speed were doubled, it could still make it interesting.....i had even thought about the idea of doubling the running speed of the players, just to see if that does any good. ( as long as it doesnt become a 6 million dollar man situation lolol )

i think the important key is, what ever items we change, it cannot be the total focal point of a map...that if one aspect is altered, there needs to be a counter for it.

reverse docks sounds interesting though....
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Holy shit. Perhaps drunk idea….

I used to play this game called tribes where there was jet packs and you could ski up and down hills once you got the right amount of inertia.

I wonder….with turbo players…could you launch off of hills and then chute down? Haha
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

BlinkofanEye wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:36 am Holy shit. Perhaps drunk idea….

I used to play this game called tribes where there was jet packs and you could ski up and down hills once you got the right amount of inertia.

I wonder….with turbo players…could you launch off of hills and then chute down? Haha
Can do a basic speed mod SSM, really nice CSM mod you can do. Also I have modded the jet packs from SW expansion before, made them like fighter jets lol.

A lot is possible
Dogema

Post by Dogema »

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: May 17th, 2022, 6:25 am
BlinkofanEye wrote: May 17th, 2022, 6:16 am I’ve never seen a turbo T-72 or M1A1….just saying

You can add the spawn to any vehicle.

Like what I did in market “Stryker and bmp1” could easily be lada and Humvee, or kettengrad, and b17…

Also tonight I’m giving Trench a reversed Docks CQ mod, where Iraq is attacking an American held docks. They get the Iraqi ship and BMPs, it was fun when we tested.

We almost NEVER get to play with the Iraqi ship. “OSA”, so this will be a way for people to see the Iraqi ship and get to use it a little. Will be fun for sure!

I like the idea that we can rework the maps to use a different strategy e.g., boat travel, removing a bridge to force a path, etc.. Mods keep the game new for me. Not opposed to playing the classics but I enjoy variety.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

For vanilla I modded a Tobruk map with a Carrier in the lake with spitfires attacking red held flags, and put a grey flag on the beach next to the lake so blue gets equipment.

Like that Iwo Jima flag that only Allie can cap.

Map is sweeeeeet, but yes love the reworking of maps/mods. Really fun and lively.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

On BOP's El Alamein Day two (similar to what I've modded here) our tanks were very fast. They weren't turbo, but could def boot scoot across the map.

~ tona
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

New Docks CQ looks fun, look forward to playing it. Only fear is that Red could be overpowered. Maybe have Red bleed tickets unless it captures all spawn points?
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

Red has way to much fire power IMO....in fact i feel the whole map is unbalanced with the tanks and bradleys added....i said it once before, if you add to much stuff, it will change the whole dynamic of a map......sometimes simple and small changes are all thats needed ( i know this will be falling on deaf ears, but w/e )
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

** WHENEVER BANG SAID YOU COULDNT GET POINTS FOR CAPTURING SPAWN BASES IN CTF **

Bang was wrong, somehow my server didn't register the change.

Tested it, if you change CTF attack value, you get corresponding points for middle flags. "Grey ones" Ignore my post, don't remember where, when I said it wasn't possible, my bad.