DC Urban Siege CTF

jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

DC Urban Siege CTF

Post by jolly_giada »

It has been my dream to make DC Urban Siege CTF reach its high potential as a tier-one map for a long time. This map has just so many possibilities for an SSM.

the current version, which i released in winter 2020/2021, is a blast, but is still a newer map with flaws.

e.g., blue typically wins. i think the mosque is just harder to defend than the docks.

what are folks' ideas for how to improve?

1. Flag positioning: this is prob most important.

Currently, flags are

blue: middle of docks
red: Mosque.

alternatives:

blue flag locations:
A. docks, but on ledge of water by ladder. this way, can be stolen by land OR by climbing laddder from a boat. should help red get even.
B. in front of docks on main road so more accessible
C. in front of Tower

red flag locations:
A. downtown (tho no vehicle access)
B. on north side of river.
C. various locations at Highrise.

any votes for flag locations??

2. could alternatively do DC 0.7, flags would be Market + Tradecenter

3. Vehicles.

A. Could keep current flag layout (docks + mosque) and remove the Stryker at docks to diminish blue's advantage.
B. upgrade Red defenses at mosque to include a BMP2 or EE9.
C. should do regardless: make one vehicle on each team spawnable.
d. make one vehicle, perhaps one each team, into a honk honk boom.

4. out of bounds. i like the sandbox feel of this map where everything is in limits. but i could entertain arguments otherwise.

please share your ideas :)
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Re: DC Urban Siege CTF

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

I’d say we switch locations of the flag for red to the city looking base (closest one to red main, with the white building and open courtyard.

I was thinking of (if you’d like me too, make a redux of this ctf.). I will add spawnable vehicles for both sides, have strategic middle ground flags that provide advantages, cleaner weapon walls throughout the city..

With Spawnable vehicles the mains really need to be far apart, it would get to bogged down with the close proximity of the flags. In my opinion.

So my plan would be to alter the flag locations to be further apart, and then can make the changes you had mentioned above with our new “space”.

I can do this all for you, as you mentioned you cannot mod much anymore, due to your hand injury.

I’d be more than happy to add another crappy bang mod onto the server 😉
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Also can clean up the duplicate flags at the CTF points, so it won’t show a “grey flag” indicating the player is capturing the control point (like in CQ mode).

Lots of things we can do to make this a GREAT ssm, rather than a GOOD Ssm. 🤙🏻

Although all of bangs are in the OKAY category, since well we know who makes them 😉🤪
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

what if you moved the red flag to the outside of the Mosque, on that large cemented where there are 2 fountains, and turn it into blues main.
then the area/flag at E6 ?! make that into reds main.
both areas are fairly large for teams to set up a defense, and they are both some what out in the open.
add a couple of carbombs, helos (without guns) and some hummers, trucks etc for transportation or defense.
or perhaps have no helos and make it all hummers and trucks.....it could almost be a 'Nas' variation with just vehicles....
for some reason i have this dam sad violin music stuck in my head lol

my .666 cents
BROTHERS IN ARMS
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

al nas and lv ctf both are great as ctf since the flags are a mix of open and secluded. i.e. there is enough cover for defense but also for offense as well so it's not impossible for offense to grab the flag.

i dont see anything at e6?

what two locations on urban siege best reflect such a balance?
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

my idea of the ' Nas' feel wasnt as much about flag location, but the carnage of having ground vehicles hurtling everywhere either to defend or capture the flag........i must of written the location down wrong i was suggesting, but its basically the first flag red comes across on the outskirts of the city...where it has all of the burnt out trucks etc.

even if both teams have an open area to defend, it would still be fine.....Gazala is some what like this....both are main bases that are open.
ill load the map up some time today and kinda take a look see around....
BROTHERS IN ARMS
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Demonic wrote: May 8th, 2022, 6:54 am my idea of the ' Nas' feel wasnt as much about flag location, but the carnage of having ground vehicles hurtling everywhere either to defend or capture the flag........i must of written the location down wrong i was suggesting, but its basically the first flag red comes across on the outskirts of the city...where it has all of the burnt out trucks etc.

even if both teams have an open area to defend, it would still be fine.....Gazala is some what like this....both are main bases that are open.
ill load the map up some time today and kinda take a look see around....
Yep that flag with the truck wrecks. I proposed a flag there if we were to keep a “vehicle based map”.

Or if I add the spawns to a bmp/Bradley or whatever for each team. I feel like the space needs to be bigger for that.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

so looking at the urban layout, what if blues main was the tower building , at D4....it has some coverage like that in Nas but still easy enough to get to...and then perhaps reds at D6, in the big open area with burnt out trucks.
one thing i checked, was walking from one flag to the other...it didnt take very long, meaning infantry/snipers etc, can get involved pretty quick.....its the vehicles that would take the longer route, by crossing the bridge.
the other 2 flags within the city area wouldnt be much use to IMO.
BROTHERS IN ARMS
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

new proposal for urban ctf:

1. blue flag: keep at docks but move flag so slightly less exposed. either

A. next to browning, between the big crates, closer to front of docks/more south, or

B. north, on top of ledge above ladder.

for b, this confers option of seaborne capture of the blue flag, which is neat.

2. red flag: downtown, instead of mosque. easier to defend but cover to escape with flag. add motorbikes for easier in/out due to concrete barriers.

maintain far northwest, tower, highrise, and perhaps market as strategic control points.

3. ancillary additions:

PT boats or something beefier to use as escape vehicle

maybe exploding lada's

DEFINITELY spawn vehicles. one for each team
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

i've narrowed to two options:

Option 1)

Blue flag: Docks, either in center, next to Browning, or right above the ladder going into the water
Red flag: Downtown

Option 2)

Blue flag: Tower
Red flag: somewhere near Highrise

Regardless, definitely need spawn BMP or Stryker or Humvees.

Principle: the city aspect of urban siege is rather unique, and any CTF version should exploit the concept of needing to fight through the city to capture the flag.