[thanks to @HairyRussianDude, from whom I have taken most of these instructions]
0. Note: some of these downloads will take some time. I recommend downloading in parallel, but you MUST *install* sequentially.
1. If you are on Win10 or Win11, you need to enable DirectPlay:
2. Download and install Battlefield 1942: https://abandonwaregames.net/game/battlefield-1942
3. download and install this patch:
4. Download Punkbuster Service Installer: https://www.evenbalance.com/downloads.php
- Run Punkbuster Service Installer and click “Test Services”. You should get the all clear from this test. If not, click “Install/Re-Install Punkbuster Services”
5. Download and install the Gamespy Patch: http://team-simple.org/download/battlef ... _v1.61.exe
6. Download and install Desert Combat 0.7: https://www.moddb.com/mods/desert-comba ... -combat-07
* DC Final requires this installed first.
7. Download and install Desert Combat Final: https://www.moddb.com/mods/desert-comba ... nal-update
8. join the server. go to Multiplayer, goto Internet, hit Update, find EA117 and click Join.
9. Optional: Modding: It's not that hard, I promise. If you wish to try your hand at modding, our admin team is receptive to well designed tweaks to the vanilla maps. Note that due to the age of the game and lack of player base, we will not be running any custom maps or anything requiring a patch. There are multiple resources in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5966
You can also find Battlecraft, the official map editor, here: https://www.moddb.com/games/battlefield ... atoreditor