Offensive names?

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

Nico

Offensive names?

Post by Nico »

Hi everyone.

I have a problem.
As i know, no rascist coments are tolerate on server (is good), but why do u tolerate some offensive names as "Waffen SS" or dirty diaper SS, etc.
really wonder why you dont tolerate rascists comments (its perfect like it) and why u tolerate some innapropriates names.

My grand father took 5 years of his live fighting them. Untill the end of is life, there was no ONE night where he didnt dream about war.

I dont want play whith some of them.
What is your opinion?
one pump
Canada

Re: Offensive names?

Post by one pump »

Well waffen has issues that 100percent has brought up im sure the admins will take care of ,Diaper ss hmm isnt that making fun of the Germans correct me if im wrong and i no what your saying and some are ignorant,uneducated but try to be the bigger person and look the other way ,go opisit team and kill the hell out of him um but just be the bigger person and try not to let it bug you.My grandfather faught as well.One Pump:O)
Nico

Post by Nico »

agree but.....I can't play with some SS as well. I always remenber what what my grand father lived. I always wonder why admins dont tolerate (and they do well!) offensive sentence and why they let play some players with ... hummm... ambigious nickmanes.......
Everytimes i play with some SS players, i feel.... strange.
I dont want to play with some rascists (or other) players. Not at all.
Demonic

Post by Demonic »

it comes down to how forceful the admins wish to police the server....if you make to many rules, then it might turn people away.....providng a persons name isnt directed at one individual, then i guess there is not as much of an issue as offensive chat going on in the server....this is just my view of it anyways, so its up to the admin to decide whats best.

hasnt a similar topic been brought up once before, regarding offensive nick names ?!
as one pump said, just try and turn the other cheek with some of the nick names if you can.
Target(+)

Post by Target(+) »

A few days ago I was playing and I found myself to be fraging someone called "Jews did 9/11"

Played with Waffen aswell, he seemed ok, I think if you take great offense to ww2 references dont play battlefield "1942"

but i think "Jews did 9/11" is taking it a bit too far.
Nico

Post by Nico »

agree wit that. Waffen SS is ok in game, like dirtyidiaper SS, but.....ah, my grandfather psat 5 years figth SS..... and i dont like any SS like or rascists guys...
Why do admnis dont tolerate rascits comments and lest guys put.........stange anmes on server?
Nico

Post by Nico »

Whirly, in this case, everyone can use every names, and not why rascist and fascist names in play?
But as u can see, there is no game without a rule.
And admins dont want some rascist comments or names (did u ever see Hitler players?).
So why do they they tolerate some fascits names is my question.
Nico

Post by Nico »

or just cause is it a game, i will call myself Mussolini or Hitler or what else?
Nico

Post by Nico »

and i m sorry to be human, to be wounded cz some people use some names that made some miilions of dead.
Nico

Post by Nico »

but if its nothing for u.........
Nico

Post by Nico »

Would u mean fascim isnt rascim?
Nico

Post by Nico »

AIDS....
there s only 2 people assuming called as SS (maybe they never gone at school?).
And wolrd doesnt remember SS as good guys.
SS is significant, doesnt it?
one of them si WAFFEN SS, its to be forthcoming I think.

And i always wonder why admins dont tolerate rascists/ect comments and why they let some players use ambiguious names that implicate rascism and rascist thought.
Nightster

Post by Nightster »

Nico wrote: there s only 2 people assuming called as SS (maybe they never gone at school?).
And wolrd doesnt remember SS as good guys.
SS is significant, doesnt it?
Nico to be totally honest I just barely had to Wikipedia "SS" and "Waffle SS" to just now learn what it means, and I went to school. idk call me a dummy but I guess sometimes some things/phrases/even actions are more offensive in some cultures then in other cultures. I could see it being extremely offensive to people who lived in the countries who fell under attack just as anything about 9/11 is more so offensive to those in the states. The problem is that we are a world wide server and I can see how misunderstandings could be a common problem.

Don't get me wrong I am strongly against racism but until now I personally had no idea those kinds of names were even offensive. (maybe im just a dummy who never paid attention ?)

That being said I personally will try and consider those kinds of names and hopefully we can figure something out, but from my point of view this is a tricky situation.
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

This topic has been discussed before...the 2nd to last post is the important one to read.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=281
Last edited by Payne N. Daiz on November 16th, 2009, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nico

Post by Nico »

Nighster, ty for the time u took at looking for information. And I beliveve u and the point that u (and other admins, i bet) don't support any fascism or rasiscm in any ways.
And I understand the parallel u made about 9/11. 9/11 players names havent to be.
In the same way, SS names are particular because they refer to the special army that hitler has created .
SS made many of the worst things, this is not the "normal" army - the wermarcht- (that tried to kill hiltler much than 3 times), it was hitler's fanatics that killed everyone in the worst conditions (children, old, everyone). We are talking about genocide and all war atrocity u could imagine: they done all.
They done, for us in european country, the worst side of humanity.

That is why it's difficult to me to see some SS in game.

And forgive me for my poor english...
Nico

Post by Nico »

Thank you for that!
And again, for the server u give us.
Nicolas.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Being that it's a WWII game, if someone or a clan has an affinity for playing "red," does it not make sense that they would associate themselves with a typically "Axis" name?

Everyone has selective sensitivity - no one mentions Mahbolz Es Hari, Mohammed Ibn Fallin or any other name that pokes fun at the Middle Eastern culture(s). Is it OK because they are relevant to the construct of the game as we play it? Would Nico be less upset is we were playing vanilla BF?

We could ask them if they mean it to have nazi affiliation. What if they say yes? We ask them to change it? If they say no, it means something else, we are OK with it? If they don't have the conviction to stand up for their beleifs then they are punks and milquetoast idiots, to boot?

I'm not saying that we're *going* to do anything. I appreciate the concern, Nico. I would advise you to not assume everything has to do with your issues. With all due respect, I highly doubt any orignal SS members are playing BF. Without the game affiliations I would agree with you in a heartbeat, and there would be no question.

I reserve the right to change my viewpoint as I think it over.
Nico

Post by Nico »

Swanny, in your way, I can call myself 9/11 because i want to be red??
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

If some player's name offends you that much then turn the game off or play single player. It's a losing battle since almost every player will find some names offensive.

Pol Pot, Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Charles Taylor, Than Shwe, Saddam Hussein, Teodoro Obiang Nguema... I could go on but this list has murdered millions. And the irony? There's a map in the game named after Stalin and there are photos of Saddam on some maps. So you get the point. Don't dig too deep into names inside a GAME.

I say bring back anti-personnel mines and the suicide bomber to DC ;-)
fireWIRE
Demonic

Post by Demonic »

give it time, some religious fanatic will complain about my name and insist i change it......and i am sure some have been offended by AIDS name....hell, my bro in law has it, but i know its just a name in the game so it doesnt bother me at all............

but no matter how innocent someones name might be to them, there will always be a lil trd to twist it around into something else (not sayin here that waffen ss means nothing to do with nazis, if infact thats what the intention is )
one pump.......it could mean a number of things. but those who know one pump on ts, know the meaning behind the name....Lt Dangle......lol, ok i wont go there.................

this is one of them arguements that can go around in circles but the admins here do a great job and will take the appropriate actions if any are needed to be taken.

just so ya know nico, i had an great uncle who fought and died in ww2 as i am sure others here had a relative who gave their life for us all.....ask yourself, do you think any vet from ANY previous war would appreciate us playing a game that makes war 'fun' ?
Nico

Post by Nico »

Its right that somtimes i feel strange to play the war as it fun, when i think about what the war really is, and what people lived.
Yes, i think about it.
But I know this is just a game here, with rules.

It's rigth, i never talked my grand father that i played war for fun :/ Dont think he would never understand that, and i respect it.

I dont ask for a "politically correct" server, even if u can see that mostly players dont use names potentialy offesnsive for others (we all do it naturally i think).
And it good like it.

Rules here are clear: no offensive comments.
How about some names that implicate that kind of ideas?

To be true, I have to say that i never hearded the players i talk about saying something wrong. Only some others players a few times, but not the SS that make me post here.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Well, calling yourself "9/11 jihad pilot" would be like calling yourself "gas chamber operator." Calling yourself 9/11 would be like calling yourself concentration camp.

Calling yourself SS is like calling yourself jihadist. I wouldn't boot someone called "killer of infidels."

Provided you're not on the server talking about the Final Solution, suicide bombing a school or something that actively promotes that racist thinking then you're *in general* not going to be bothered.

I have no issue asking if someone has some racist or nazi affiliations, and asking them to change their name or ways as a result.

Your opinion is noted, respected ... and Yours.
Nightster

Post by Nightster »

Funny if you grandpa is anything like mine he would not approve of bf1942 :p About 6-7 years ago my cousin held a bf1942 lan party in my Grandpas huge shop(where I played for the first time) and when he caught us in there he kicked us out yelling and screaming at us for playing "those violent war games".

My Grandpa was in Sherman tank reloading ammo for most the war, he doesn't really talk about it. His division was one of the few picked to go either just north or south of the Battle of the Bulge, which probably saved his life because it was the single most bloody battle for the US in WW2.

Has anyone seen the new "WWII in HD" program on the History channel ? They went and got footage from all around the world and and restored the color and most the detail to HD. Its worth watching it shows all the actual battle footage and from camera men on both sides. PS I even noticed the name Waffen being used, all the sudden it stands out to me now.
Demonic

Post by Demonic »

i have seen some real ww2 as well, and you can only imagine what they would have gone through....that applies to gulf war vets and any other war vet..........
a few years back i was invited to fort irwin here in cali, coz a tank brigade had returned home to the base...my reason for going there wasnt to see the return, it was actually to play some aussie rules football with some of the other soldiers on the base, but i did get the pleasure of chattin with a few of the guys who were over there and even some who were about to go.............i couldnt even put it into words how it made me feel, knowing what they had done, what others were about to do and so on.
all i could say was thank you for what they had done and about to do.

its a shame so many ww2 vets are no longer with us, because i really dont think the younger generation has a complete understanding of the sacrifices they made so we can all go about our lives as we know it.

peace :D
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I was watching it earlier tonight. I'm recording all of them.