2012 Model Year cars

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

MOJORyder
United States of America

2012 Model Year cars

Post by MOJORyder »

Just a quick poll..

for the model year 2012, if you were/are going to be in the market for a 4 door sedan, mid market level. Would this design interest you?

The vehicle is a hybrid gas/electric. It can go the first 150 miles using only electric power, with independant wheel drive (small electric motor driving each wheel), after which it alternates between gas/electric, to provide an overall range of about 400 miles.
Theorhetically, you may never have to put gas into your car again.

It is American made by an American owned company using American technology.

It features (or is slated too) new technology for the driver, such as the ability for your vehicle itself to create "friends lists". Using the list, it can "notice" other cars it see's regularly along your commute and communicate via cell frequencies, the standard traffic of your known daily route for real time alerts... among many other things.
What makes America great? Guns and Liquor. Be sure to save a round for Obama.
Soylent

Re: 2012 Model Year cars

Post by Soylent »

Oh god. Here comes Skynet.

Babies_Happen
United States of America

Post by Babies_Happen »

are we assuming that in 2012 the company is still around to actually make the car? Id have no problem buying a US made hybrid if it were a good buy. My issue with current US made cars is the fact that the prices are inflated to reflect non direct costs. GM keeps raising car prices so that they can pay former employees so when i spend $35k on a car, a good portion of that price has nothing to do with the car its self, makes me feel like im paying money and not getting anything in return; kinda like paying $20 for a haircut and then tipping $5 more, only it's not optional. If they could convince me that im buying the car as opposed to helping pay for their stupid business decisions, i would be more likely to buy that car. I dont think the economy will be much better in 2012 so i doubt i will be willing to buy such a car. I understand the appeal of an all-american made car, like the good ol days, but in today's world if you want to be competitive you have to make changes. Example, while US companies have been out sourcing to mexico to build cars cheaper, meanwhile,toyota and honda have built plants in the US to also cut costs. Two different business philosophies, 2 different results. Just making a new car wont help US auto companies, no matter how good it is. the next couple years will be a pivotal time for US manufactures. if companies cant continue to run without 100s of billions of taxpayer $, they should die off or change how they do things. Foreign companies are already far ahead of US companies when it comes to alternative fuels and drive systems, so to think that ford, gm, or others will miraculously build a superior car by 2012 is laughable. If they made a hybrid truck i would be more willing to buy than the car. Americans still love our big vehicles, but unless gas is $3.50 or more we dont really think about giving them up. when gas hits $5 again this summer im sure the Obama administration will push for more alternative fuels/drive systems as well as increased mpg minimums, giving more incentive for US companies to get off their asses and do something.... just my thoughts
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I looked at the hybrid Tahoe, and it was $10k more than the normal Tahoe, with a $10k+ in maintenance (new batteries) down the road. I get that I'm spending less in gas but it was still tough to sign off on it.
I have a hard time feeling like I'm paying more to be a member of the club.

I'm down with the American car and labor, alternative fuels, and the car looks nice - it would depend on the price point and what I could expect from the deal.
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

THis vehicle is now confirmed slated for production. Minor details still being hashed around, but expect a full hybrid priced in the $20-$33K price range (base to premium).
Perhaps as a 2012/13 model year car, it will be the Chrysler 200C
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

CAB just got the info on the interior..along with more photo's of the display..which will rocks your nuts...if ya got them. (sorry aids! outta luck this time! lol) The car buddy list thing is a go as well as connectivety with your Ipod, IM of choice, etc...so you can email your car a song, etc.

Stats have JUST been released:

CHRYSLER 200C EV PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS
Vehicle Type
Body style:
Four-passenger sedan

Drivetrain:
Electric propulsion, rear-wheel drive

Category:
Range-extended Electric Vehicle

Powertrain and Suspension
Power:
200 kW (268 hp)

Energy Recovery:
Regenerative braking

Battery:
Lithium-ion

Suspension:
Front – Independent, Rear – Independent

Range extender:
SULEV gasoline engine and electric generator

Continuous electric power:
55 kW (74 hp)

Charging:
Onboard charger, dual voltage
110/120-volt outlet (15A) – standard household power outlet
220/240-volt outlet: (30A) – household appliance power outlet

Performance
0-60 mph:
Approximately 7 seconds

¼-mile Acceleration:
Mid-14 seconds

Top speed:
Greater than 120 mph

All-electric range:
40 miles

Total driving range:
Up to 400 miles
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

lol, relax aids. This isn't a sport car, it's a family sedan thats half electric.
Babies_Happen
United States of America

Post by Babies_Happen »

meh, rear wheel drive kills it for me. but i am very interested to see how the project comes out. i know personally quite a few people who are in the market for a new car but have had to re-prioritize due to the economic bs. so in a couple years, given that things start to look up, they will be looking to buy. i assume there are many americans/earthicans that are doing the same. many want hybrids but models like the accord/prius/others are hard to get, you have to be put on a list and you might not get a car for a year or more. i think in a couple years when hybrid technology is more common they will surpass regular gasoline cars in numbers. just my thoughts
Lt.Dangle
United States of America

Post by Lt.Dangle »

i think the newest car id prolly have besides a gt500, is the new ford fusion hybrid. =)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us