Helos on 73 Easting

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

fireWIRE

Helos on 73 Easting

Post by fireWIRE »

Who thought this was a good idea?

To me it's horrible. This map was designed a tank/ground map. You dig in and defend a flag from ground forces. And this can't be done with someone shuttling troops in and out with the helos (Village flag mostly). There's a wall around that village for a reason and you have to bring armor in from just a few entrances. And if you can park a vehicle and jump the wall you still have to make it over to the flag. Whereas dropping on top of the flag (roofs) from the helo.

This is just my opinion and probably those of the DC Devs too.

If you insist on having the helos maybe mod the map to make the flag radius smaller?

Discuss...
fireWIRE
MOJORyder
United States of America

Re: Helos on 73 Easting

Post by MOJORyder »

Hmm, maybe you're right and airborn on this map is the problem..

How about this, put a blackhawk gun platform and a red gun platform, but get rid of parachutes to stop airborn raids?
What makes America great? Guns and Liquor. Be sure to save a round for Obama.
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

can['t get you off my mind sexy boy
What makes America great? Guns and Liquor. Be sure to save a round for Obama.
Nightster

Post by Nightster »

Maybe the Helo should be removed OR you could change it's spawn time so that it takes forever to spawn the thing at the start of the map giving tanks time to drive over and also so that when it does get shot down it will take a long time to respawn. While at the same time stingers and grails could be placed by the flag so someone could temperarly pick them up to defend against the chopper then pick their other gun back up.

You do make a good point though, even in the center flag there's noting like digging in to defend from a huge fleet or even moving in as a huge fleet of tanks to attack it. I think one thing about eastings is sometimes theres not enough tanks and so I do jump in the chopper. I'm guessing the tank spawners are set at 2 tanks per spawn location. Meaning 1 T72 will spawn and once someone drives off the second will spawn but a third will not spawn in that location until 1 or more of the T72s die. BUT this could be changed to 3 spawning per location and I think that would help more people want to drive tanks. Plus it would make the war a lot thicker and faster passed because less people would be waiting and the flow would be more constant.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I like helos a LOT better than the SCUD, which the DC Devs evidently thought needed to be there. With the pixel aiming that goes on for arty the helos play an important role in spotting and some troop transport. Making the flag radius smaller server side has complications that outweigh the benefits (namely that people can't accurately tell when they're in the zone).

If you're as "dug in" as you say is appropriate for that map, how hard is it to kill a guy that 'chutes in onto the roof at Norfolk or into the middle sandbags at Eastings? To my way of thinking, one or two infantry against 3 Howitzers, a light tank and BRDM/Humvee shouldn't be much of a problem.

The problem, as I see it, is everyone wants to push forward and get closer to the enemy main and kill them as soon as they're clear of the driveway. This way, you *must* stay back at the base you own and defend.
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

Swanny-CG wrote:I like helos a LOT better than the SCUD, which the DC Devs evidently thought needed to be there. With the pixel aiming that goes on for arty the helos play an important role in spotting and some troop transport. Making the flag radius smaller server side has complications that outweigh the benefits (namely that people can't accurately tell when they're in the zone).

If you're as "dug in" as you say is appropriate for that map, how hard is it to kill a guy that 'chutes in onto the roof at Norfolk or into the middle sandbags at Eastings? To my way of thinking, one or two infantry against 3 Howitzers, a light tank and BRDM/Humvee shouldn't be much of a problem.

The problem, as I see it, is everyone wants to push forward and get closer to the enemy main and kill them as soon as they're clear of the driveway. This way, you *must* stay back at the base you own and defend.
Good points, forgot about the SCUD (not sure why considering it could wreak havoc).

And most players have no idea how to dig and and defend. They want to venture out and take on the enemy in the open which isn't the best strategy.
fireWIRE
Soylent

Post by Soylent »

I like the helos on Eastings. It allows a small infantry battle to develop in the village. Without that there is not much point in having those buildings there. This map does NOT need any helos with guns.
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

Soylent wrote:I like the helos on Eastings. It allows a small infantry battle to develop in the village until a tank rolls in and lays wast to the poor infantry
fireWIRE
Soylent

Post by Soylent »

Probably. It still adds interest though. I hate one-dimensional maps.
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

AIDS wrote:Aids n' Apache > all.
T72 to the face
fireWIRE
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

this map needs more tanks. It is the only real "tank map" and this server has historically been a tank friendly server.

Dump the EE9, and all the bradleys/ light armor crap and put another 4 tanks at each base. Putting the barbed wire on the roof was a great idea to speed up this map.

Having a "no armor zone" type map would be excellent.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I'll take a look at the number of tanks that will spawn at once. We sped up the bleed so it doesn't last the whole hour, but it can still be a long, stalemated map. I don't mind the length, it's when you're getting your ass handed to you and still had to endure it for an hour that it got long. I don't want to overload the map withy too many vehicles, as it is Eastings can be very difficult to take without teamwork, since the Howies respawn so quickly.

I personally prefer to sit outside and put two T72 or M1 rounds into each Howie. Done properly, it only takes one more round to end them should someone jump in one of them in an attempt to interrupt my flag capturing endeavor. Continuing to cover a teammate form the outside while they go to cap works even better :)
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

Swanny-CG wrote:I'll take a look at the number of tanks that will spawn at once. We sped up the bleed so it doesn't last the whole hour, but it can still be a long, stalemated map. I don't mind the length, it's when you're getting your ass handed to you and still had to endure it for an hour that it got long. I don't want to overload the map withy too many vehicles, as it is Eastings can be very difficult to take without teamwork, since the Howies respawn so quickly.

I personally prefer to sit outside and put two T72 or M1 rounds into each Howie. Done properly, it only takes one more round to end them should someone jump in one of them in an attempt to interrupt my flag capturing endeavor. Continuing to cover a teammate form the outside while they go to cap works even better :)
Last night someone on blue kept bailing the helo and dropping in on the center flag. It got old quick. I'd notice the helo on the mini map then would have to look for some infantry guy inside the flag radius. It just doesn't work on this map.

Not to mention the blue team's helo fell on my tank, killed me, and I got hit for a TK..wtf? How does that work? haha
fireWIRE
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

AIDS wrote:
fireWIRE wrote:
AIDS wrote:Aids n' Apache > all.
T72 to the face
You are right. But only when Simon is playing. He seems to usually put one right up my nose.
I like to knife you when you're sniping but I wonder if I'll get infected with the HIV/AIDS by doing so.
fireWIRE
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

The Diet Plan that really works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfFs0o6pCxc
fireWIRE
junior

Post by junior »

Swanny-CG wrote:I like helos a LOT better than the SCUD, which the DC Devs evidently thought needed to be there. With the pixel aiming that goes on for arty the helos play an important role in spotting and some troop transport. Making the flag radius smaller server side has complications that outweigh the benefits (namely that people can't accurately tell when they're in the zone).

Exactly.

I also think that map should be slightly more modded to add more power to blue team. In all honesty 9 outta 10 times, red team will win this map - as someone pointed out in another thread, good players know that and tend to stack in red.

Maybe try making both flags (Easting and Norfolk) white at start, thus giving blue team a fighting chance to cap one and try to hold it. It worked for Berlin.
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

junior wrote:

Exactly.

I also think that map should be slightly more modded to add more power to blue team. In all honesty 9 outta 10 times, red team will win this map - as someone pointed out in another thread, good players know that and tend to stack in red.

Maybe try making both flags (Easting and Norfolk) white at start, thus giving blue team a fighting chance to cap one and try to hold it. It worked for Berlin.
Do that and get rid of the helos. And the rocket trucks--lol
fireWIRE