wifi

Need help?
Itax
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

wifi

Post by Itax »

I am shopping for a wifi broadcasting router. Any recommendations? Any ones I should stay the hell away from because they explode and eat all your cheetos and drink all your beer? I looked at the comparison sites and they all said more or less the exact same thing, no help. And when the hell did a modem become a router anyways?
i_am_not_your_father
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: wifi

Post by i_am_not_your_father »

netgear and linksys are good brands. Also, make sure that whatever brand/model you buy, it is compatible with the wireless devices you currently own (e.g. 802.11 b/g/n).

Just to give you an example, I have a relative who came to visit me with a 802.11 b device and couldn't connect to my new netgear router because it is not bakcward compatible. So I had to dig out my old linksys 802.11 b/g router.

Hope this helps.

IANYF
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Itax I am sure as little beer as you drink you will have a clear head and I am sure you will make the right decision. ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Never mind the boozer. Linksys.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Linksys (now Cisco) for me. To be honest, I've ended up needing to buy a new one about every 18 months, as for some reason they usually lose their damned minds at some point. I don't know why, reloading the firmware, resetting to factory defaults, nothing fixes them for long - my last one just decided to stop handing out DHCP addresses to anyone.

My latest one, Cisco-branded, has been pretty solid but occasionally doesn't let new people on the wireless; it doesn't give them addresses. When that happens, a quick pull of the power cord sets me right again for about a month.

I do like routers that allow DDNS updates, so I can have a registered DNS name that follows my router when the IPs change.

I guess telling you the issues I've had doesn't sound much like a plug but for whatever reason I keep buying them.

I would generally avoid new tech that isn't backward compatible in some way but I'm not a gear whore so I don't have the latest and greatest everything (not to say Dad is, only that I don't rush to buy new-ish stuff).

FWIW.
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

Read this thread. Post #12 is the important one. JackMDS, the mod, knows his stuff.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread. ... est+router

I have the Buffalo router mentioned and it's been solid. The Asus will get you 'N' and a print server. The WNDR3700 gets true dual band.

If you have simple wireless needs and don't have any 'N' devices and don't want to spend much I can recommend the Buffalo.

Bookmark Anandtech.com. It's always my first stop when looking to upgrade. Their forums contain a wealth of information.
Itax
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Itax »

Thanks for all the help and input, you guys made this so much clearer and easier for me.