Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Gardens

Post by Nightstalker »

That time of year again and I can NOT wait. Anyone else do a garden .. i will get some pics of mine once the stuff starts coming up. I am gonna do ALOT of corn, green beans, squash (crookneck and acorn), zuccinni, tomatoes (probably some pimento, Better Boys (GREAT sliced with a little salt and pepper), then some Beefsteak for burgers and such. May try to grow some broccoli this year but last year it didnt turn out so good. OH and brussel sprouts .. Holy crap I like those things. And RFA you will get a kick out of this ... I am thinking about growing some hops :lol: :lol: :lol: .. that may wait till next year but I need to hurry. They say they are no good the first year. Kinda like grapes for wine. Some say 3-5 years before they are mature enough like me :? to be good enough to brew. Anywho anyone else gonna give there green thumb a go.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Gardens

Post by Nightstalker »

Oooo rhuhbarb .... never grown that but man that stuff is good. I need to try growing some potatoes. That is one thing I have yet to do and I eat the hell out of them. I really want to do a strawberry patch but around here they are known to have snakes make a habitat out of them and I REALLY don't want my kids scareed of the garden.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Itax
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Itax »

So I live in an area where there are lots of pine trees, even when one clears the soil(and does the appropriate fertilizing and turning((manually mixing the the dirt/soil/ground)), there still are alot of pine needles that make the ground acidic. Due to far to many trials and tribulations, I am limited in what I can grow.(use google to find out what can grow well in acidic soils).
c0loNeL
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by c0loNeL »

When I can find it I'll let you know whats gonna be planted, lol
Usually do a crap load of peppers, tomatoes, onions and the like. Make my own salsa. Got my strawberry patch (both wild and domestic) for those summer time drinks ;) and some rhubarb for some amazing rhubarb/strawberry pies...
ok, now I'm hungry for some reason...
one pump
Canada

Post by one pump »

lol edit and ownt,ok soooo i cant stop the rubarb from growing it grows like a weed here.I love to grow peas,and i try soo hard to grow corn and tomatos and onions and stuff but i have a weed problem.I think i need to research on how to kill the weeds befor i grow.I mean i till it good with a sitdown drive tiller but my stuff gets choked out quick.I have a messed up knee and one arm lol i get as many as i can but grrr.Well it wont stop me im planting again.Good luck to all on the gardens this year.Pump 8-)
Itax
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Itax »

I think it was Mark Twain who said "better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, then open your mouth and remove all doubt".
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

LMAO Itax .... only the select few that saw your previous post will understand why you put that hahahahahahahhaahah

Pump try a vegetation killer about 1 month before you till. They say 2 weeks but I like to wait longer to make sure any residual is gone. Then I till in between the rows while the plants are maturing. After that its normally easy going for me. I will try to keep some pictures going this year. Just help me remember.
one pump
Canada

Post by one pump »

Well said lol :D 8-)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Has anyone ever tried the Black Prince Tomato??? I was given 3 plants yesterday and let me say when I googled to see what they looked like I got scared LOLOLOL until I read this and this picture is not as bad as some I have seen ... http://www.boneyfiddlehome.com/?p=34 Always good to try something new. Planting this weekend if all goes well!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Everything is planted .. well for the most part. I am gonna wait a few weeks maybe even a month and plant some other stuff in hopes that it will come up late and I can have fresh stuff later in the year. I will try and post some pics if any of you would like. Nothing special just some green things in the middle of a dirt patch. I did build a fence around it. It was either that or kill the dog :lol: :lol: . I cant wait .. G90 corn , broccolli, lettuce, 3 kinds of squash (crookedneck yellow, butternut, and acorn), zuccinni, 4 kinds of tomatoes (Better Boy, Yellow Pear, Roma and Black Prince) some other stuff that I am not sure what it is as it was given to me ... I am thinking eggplant but not 100% .... I do want to put some brussel sprouts out but not sure when they are suppose to be planted. Anyone know as I learned yesterday (thanks 32ti) that I should have had the broccolli out about 1-1 1/2 months ago so any advise is always welcome.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

God this is gonna seem gay, but you can plant sprouts anytime they will not yield anything until the next season. It takes them a year to mature then walla. I gotta go look at some naked women now... :D

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

LMAO ..... you got me laughing again ... I literally laughed out loud on that one. Thanks for the info ... I am gonna go to our gardening center and pic some up .... I LOVE brusselsprouts. And just out of curiosity ... are you saying they will come back each year?
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Ya Nighty they bud on a stalk (like buds on a pot plant hmm) the stalk just gets bigger each year. You owe me a reach around now!!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

OHHHHHHHH ... like a pot plant ... thats all you had to say :lol: :lol: .. as for the reach around .. they dont make enough weed nor beer ;)

I am bummed ... I tried brusselsprouts last year and thought they were dead so guess what .. they are rotting away in the compost pile :evil:
BoOn
Canada

Post by BoOn »

And I thought so highly of all you fellas before reading this thread..........Ummmm how about that football game eh!?! lol jks :)
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Brussel Sprouts = Martian Balls.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

JohnnyAppleSeed wrote:And I thought so highly of all you fellas before reading this thread..........Ummmm how about that football game eh!?! lol jks :)
I'll even talk about hockey if it pops my balls back out.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you guys on the field
Sarge out.

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Here is a quick picture I took the other morning. As you can tell I couldnt take it not getting in there and suckering the tomato plants. I think I am done now and will let any suckers grow as I started to get some flowers already and I tend to stop when I see flowers. I know some people prefer to sucker the plant the entire time but I am not trying to grow the biggest tomato I just want a healthy plant and as many tomatoes as possible. I am excited to see how those Black Prince tomatoes turn out. The plants look a little small compaired to the others. They are the first two on the inside row. I dont know if I told yall but I also planted some purple potatoes. I think they were called Purple Majesty. Come to find out they were reserved for Incan kings back 7000 years ago. They say they are FULL of antioxidants and suppose to be one of the best potatoes for you. Who the hell knows next time I read on them they will probably say they are the sole cause of cancer ??????? Anywho its not a big garden but like every year I allready have plans to make it bigger LOLOLOL. Oh and I added some okra plants in there also. I have about 1 maybe 1 1/2 rows left that I may put more corn or something out late so I can still have fresh veggies later in the year. Unfortunately I did not put out any "martian balls" Anywho its just a garden but figured I would share.

Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

God it hurts not to say anything here! Your killing me Nancy :)
You know I was just kidding about shaving your back, but maybe now you might need a bikini wax!! :lol: :lol:

Sorry I tried :o

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Hey guys here is some stuff that I picked the other day. I know some of the tomatoes are not completely ripe yet but I am pulling them early as they are starting to split. They will finish ripening in the window. Anyways there is butternut squash, zuccinni, Yellow Pear, Roma and Black Prince tomatoes, acorn squash and sweet corn.
.. needless to say we ate pretty good that night and I ended up giving alot of it away and vaccuum sealed the rest. I still have plenty growing but most of the squash is about to die.

Oh and yes I know the zuccinni is a little oversized but I like toslice them up into little discs and grill them so it works out good that way. ;)
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

Nice Bounty!

Not to be a tin foil hat kinda guy..but I too love gardening vegies n fruits..but mostly because the near term future seems so bleak and unknown. Whats fun is bing searching out recipes for things that grow naturally in your area.. in my case, say Abalone.. and making new meals that the general populace pays a hundred bucks a plate for :)

ya, sounds cheap but it supplies my gaming addiction and gives me a reason to go diving lol
What makes America great? Guns and Liquor. Be sure to save a round for Obama.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Thanks MOJO but i do have to correct you on something. I think its spelled a bologna ...not Abalone .... pffft duuhhhh and who the hell pays 100 bucks for that ... i'll fry em some up anytime for 100 bucks

Just kidding of course .... we have Poke here and alot of people make poke salad but I don't know if anyone would pay for it LOLOL
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

poke salad? here we just get our salads tossed!
What makes America great? Guns and Liquor. Be sure to save a round for Obama.
Ready-FIRE-Aim
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Ready-FIRE-Aim »

Them Cali guys needs 'em a good dose of clabber 'n grits! :D
Semper Rugby

Life is better just a half a bubble off dead plumb.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Lol ... its funny you say that. That is what I a looking forward to the most. A big bowl of purple mashed potatoes LOLOLOL