The VA is no fun :(

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

MOJORyder
United States of America

The VA is no fun :(

Post by MOJORyder »

Kinda bummed today.. ya know, I just want my shit fixed..

I went to the VA today for them to update on my back and they are practically insisting I do it their way (their way is surgery and 4-6 months in bed)... thats fucking insane! If I'm still in bed 5 minutes after sex, it's because I passed out... I hate being in bed!

So I have a lame choice now.. be in pain every day (or doped up, but I hate percocet)..and just let it progress until I have no choice or just get it over with once I get back from France this summer.
They practically 100% refused to allow my option (preferance, whatever) of scaled back surgery where it won't fix my ass perfectly, but may stop the pain for a couple of years... I just don't know what to do and I really don't want to have to make these damned decisions anymore.

/rant
What makes America great? Guns and Liquor. Be sure to save a round for Obama.
Lt.Dangle
United States of America

Re: The VA is no fun :(

Post by Lt.Dangle »

dam man, i would say man just have the surgery. i wouldnt wanna be in pain.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

well it's not like it is dibilitating...goes from a (most of the time) 3-7 with spikes to 6-10 a few times a week..so it's tolerable... for now..I dunno, just sucks balls.
fireWIRE

Post by fireWIRE »

MOJORyder wrote:well it's not like it is dibilitating...goes from a (most of the time) 3-7 with spikes to 6-10 a few times a week..so it's tolerable... for now..I dunno, just sucks balls.
I'll ask my mom. She's an expert on VA hospital procedures. Maybe she'll know of a way to get what you want.

Sounds like I'm a kid or something...ROFL
fireWIRE
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

lol, ya, it does :)
but much thanks man. I'm tired of having a Major direct me...a friggin Major.
oldboi
Australia

Post by oldboi »

Hey mate, i know the feelin of pain an havin to make the choice.
I'm in constant pain an havin surgery hasn't bin something i have considered seriously. I have seen wat can happen if they screwup, an with the odd's they gave me for success wasn't wat i would take (40% chance).
Your situation is different to mine, but back surgery for me an the outcome are something that i consider serious.
Being in more pain or loosin total mobility is my biggest fear.
Something i find helpfull is the use of natural remedies, acupunture an medicines. But wen the pain get's over the top, which does happen regularly, i alternate the relief. I also am sick of takin pain killers, but as a last resort i will.
I look at it this way, there are always ppl who are worse off than me an i consider myself lucky to still have a life...
Not an answer to your question but just another way of considerin your choices.

Regards oldboi
Soylent

Post by Soylent »

I would get a second opinion outside of the VA system. You a fortunate to be located near one of the top orthopedic surgeons who is in Hawthorne or Ingelwood IIRC. Shoot me a PM if you want the info. I'm out of town until next Tuesday night.
Spilling_Guts
Saudi Arabia

Post by Spilling_Guts »

As Soylent said, get a second opinion dude. Anyway, whatever the decision you make, I wish you the best!.

Take care
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

Thanks Soy, but it's Neuro that's working on me :S
Soylent

Post by Soylent »

Neuro and Ortho both do backs. Depends on what hospital you go to. Some, usually teaching hospitals, alternate between services. Hope everything goes well for you.
i_am_not_your_father
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by i_am_not_your_father »

A relative developed a bad spinal disc while stationed in Korea. He was rushed to a US army hospital in the Philippines. They messed him up there. He developed and infection and was on physical therapy for years. But in the long run, it was beneficial he had the surgery... just be careful on selecting who does it. On a side note, if you can claim at least, I think, at least 20% disability you and your dependents will be eligible for disability compensation including college tuition scholarship for your kids.

i_am_not_your_father