Low ping

hoppin bob
United States of America

Low ping

Post by hoppin bob »

So I've noticed that a low ping seems to go in conjunction with absolute ownage in the air. A player named "do a barrel roll" (ping=10) comes to mind. It's as if the planes turn sharper. I've played against SC,kamo,Spec and the like for years. I'm not the best pilot especially against these guys but I can usually give them a decent dog fight on a good day. But these low ping guys. They just simply seem to out turn me in about five seconds. Is a low ping that big a difference? Or are they just using A different style of flying that allows this? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to ping speeds. Just wondering, because if ping isn't making that big a difference , I would like to get better and compete against these low pingers. I know the game is old but it's all I got until maybe Christmas , who knows. It's tough to convince the wifey that a new machine is good for mental health. :x . So just wondering if any of you are learned in the area of ping speeds making a difference in gameplay. That also brings up a name we all know. Heather sauce. If I remember right that player had a very low ping as well, and was hard as hell to play against. And 1 final thought. Fluffy kitten throws up some insane KDRs on infantry maps. His ping is around ten as well. I'm not throwing out any accusations of any kind of cheating. Just wondering about low pings. Cheers.....bob.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Low ping

Post by Nightstalker »

Good post Bob ... It is funny how things can happen with a low ping. The other day barrel roll was in the a10. Boon was chasing him or being chased I do not remember but I was in the SA3 to help Boon catch him. Boon gave the "Fast mover over head" F key so I launched the guided missile. I could hear the A10 but could not see him. Boon kept telling me he is right behind me. So I launched again ... same result. I could hear him and see Boon but no A10. There were a few times he took me out and never showed up on radar. Now that could be attributed to him flying directly overhead and dive bombing. Like you I am not saying the guy is cheating I think he may just be that good but it is an eye brow raising issue. :28:

I know Spec was a beast in the A10 so maybe he can give his insight on that issue. And I think IANYF was a pretty good in the A10 also or maybe that was OTH. As for the ping I do not see how ping can make some maneuver any better than someone with a different ping. Turning radius is built into the game engine. At least that is my understanding.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
BoOn
Canada

Post by BoOn »

A higher ping you need to lead the target more, lower pings you lead less. Low pings as infantry is great because your basically shooting what your aiming at versus shooting infront of the player in which ever direction he is moving. A nice machine will also help out with frame rates, I usually have about a .50/1sec delay in my frame rate when the server is busy and it sucks playing cause my frame rate goes right out the window on this crap machine.
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

And thus, why you all should move the server to MIchigan.....lmmfao:).
hoppin bob
United States of America

Post by hoppin bob »

Thanks for the reply fellas. I didnt think about frame rate. That would be better hardware i guess. I couldnt tell you what mine is cuz I dont know where to find that info. My comp works pretty good for most things(like 1942, watching movies,kids games)) but is nowhere near a good gaming machine. So i would have to say, from what Im hearing, is that ping has little to do with these guys out flying everyone else. Its probably just a better gaming rig and/or better technique. So guys if you dont mind, how do I get my frame rate? I am curios what mine is. Sorry Im a bit computer illiterate. :31:

Edit: Zanshin im originally from Grand Ledge, all I have to say to you is GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Do you have fraps Bob?
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
hoppin bob
United States of America

Post by hoppin bob »

no I don't have fraps. Fluffy kitten popped on the server and showed me how to get my FPS, which mine is 99.9. He said that was excellent. Thank you much kitten!! I am trying to get teamspeak hooked up right now, that might help if I have any probs in the future. Should I get fraps nighty?
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Only if you want to capture video while in game. I have never gotten my fps through the game commands. Glad you got it figured out. 99 fps is real good. Last time I check i was in the 60's. That was on the older laptop though. I will have to check the newer one.
fluffy

Post by fluffy »

Glad I could help... :D

I would DL fraps anyways seeing as its free..Just to make sure that the ingame FPS is accurate...
fluffy

Post by fluffy »

i forgot i had fraps and i ran it while playing...FPS was the same as the in game one..
hoppin bob
United States of America

Post by hoppin bob »

Ok NS I decided to DL fraps but I don't see it in the DL section. Is that something I should just google when I get home? I figure might as well seeing that it's free, plus it would be cool to capture an in game vid and mess around with that a bit. Thanks........bob.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Raptor22
United States of America

Post by Raptor22 »

hoppin bob wrote:So I've noticed that a low ping seems to go in conjunction with absolute ownage in the air. A player named "do a barrel roll" (ping=10) comes to mind. It's as if the planes turn sharper. I've played against SC,kamo,Spec and the like for years. I'm not the best pilot especially against these guys but I can usually give them a decent dog fight on a good day. But these low ping guys. They just simply seem to out turn me in about five seconds. Is a low ping that big a difference? Or are they just using A different style of flying that allows this? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to ping speeds. Just wondering, because if ping isn't making that big a difference , I would like to get better and compete against these low pingers. I know the game is old but it's all I got until maybe Christmas , who knows. It's tough to convince the wifey that a new machine is good for mental health. :x . So just wondering if any of you are learned in the area of ping speeds making a difference in gameplay. That also brings up a name we all know. Heather sauce. If I remember right that player had a very low ping as well, and was hard as hell to play against. And 1 final thought. Fluffy kitten throws up some insane KDRs on infantry maps. His ping is around ten as well. I'm not throwing out any accusations of any kind of cheating. Just wondering about low pings. Cheers.....bob.
You don't get out turned by low ping, but you can get out turned by a pilot who sees that you are making a fatal mistake ;)
"The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it." - Friedrich Oblessor

"It's the man, not the machine." - Chuck Yeager
hoppin bob
United States of America

Post by hoppin bob »

Hello raptor aka..do a barrel roll. I got in touch with brink. He gave me some pointers and a couple of your v ideos to watch. I have been playing a certain way for to long. it will take a long time to get good enough to compete against you so I guess its fatal mistakes for me in the future. But I will still give it a go. Its got to be boring going 60-0 with no one to fly against, like you did last night. Wish I was good enough to give you some competition. Oh well, thanks for the reply anyways.
Raptor22
United States of America

Post by Raptor22 »

hoppin bob wrote:Hello raptor aka..do a barrel roll. I got in touch with brink. He gave me some pointers and a couple of your v ideos to watch. I have been playing a certain way for to long. it will take a long time to get good enough to compete against you so I guess its fatal mistakes for me in the future. But I will still give it a go. Its got to be boring going 60-0 with no one to fly against, like you did last night. Wish I was good enough to give you some competition. Oh well, thanks for the reply anyways.
No problem. I'll be glad to show you some stuff on my off days :)
"The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it." - Friedrich Oblessor

"It's the man, not the machine." - Chuck Yeager